Windows Vista

Question

Trying to reinstall Office 2007; getting Error 1935

by rockyjohns / March 17, 2012 6:05 PM PDT

I have Vista SP2 and cannot reinstall MS Office 2007. When I try I receive an "Error 1935 an error occured during the installation of assembly componenet {66332632-9C28-58B1-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E} HRESULT 0x800736FD".

Prior to this, I had several system crashes and did a repair install of Vista. Shortly after the repair install, my MS office shortcuts would no longer open the programs, nor clicking on the exe file in the program file, nor clickin on a file that used the program. They all reported that the program was not available, although it clearly was still on the C drive and in the Uninstall window on the control panel.

So I removed the MS Office and then tried to reinstall it but the reinstall did not work as noted above. I have spend 2 full days now working on this, searching the Internet, and trying the few items I found, but no no avail. This included:
1. Running Uniblue Registry Booster
2. Uninstalling .Net Framework 3.5 SP1
3. Reinstalling .Net Framework 3.5 SP1
4. Using several MS Mr. Fixit repair tools, including one specifically listed for fixing the 1935 error code.
5. Running system file check (sfc) scan that reported no issues
6. Using Computer Management to turn on Windows Installer service.

One specifc question I have is that one suggestion on an old post seemed to indicate the need to install .Net Framework 1.0 and 1.0 in addition to 3.5. Is it necessary or helpful to install all three versions?

How can I reinstall MS Office short of doing a fresh reinstall of Vista? I would like to avoid that to avoid issues of drivers and reloading all my software and settings, especially if I have no guarantee it will fix the problem.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying to reinstall Office 2007; getting Error 1935
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying to reinstall Office 2007; getting Error 1935
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
How did you remove
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 17, 2012 10:11 PM PDT

that Office 2007?

To uninstall Office products you always use the CD. Did you do it that way?

I see there are many "Error 1935" errors at Microsoft, so I'm not sure which one you tried, but in the link below I see that "Method 1" is to repair Microsoft.Net Framework 2.0 first and not uninstall/reinstall it. However, that is for a different GUID number than the one you have, yours being {66332632-9C28-58B1-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E}. That said, all the different pages I saw suggested the same methods.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926804

Also, I don't see Microsoft.Net Framework 3.5 listed in those options.

I would first of all use that Office CD to uninstall Office 2007. Then remove the CD, reboot the system and insert the CD and try again.

If that fails, I would then use that link to repair .Net Framework 2.0, or uninstall/reinstall .Net Framework 2.0, then if necessary uninstall .Net framework 1.1 (if it is installed), then reinstall it. After each step I would reboot the system to update system files and the Registry.

If all that fails I would then try an uninstaller like RevoUninstaller from http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html . The free version 'may' be able to uninstall the remnants.

I see you used Uniblue. That's a shame as we have all too often seen bad results with that and other registry cleaners.

Mark

Collapse -
Still no fix
by rockyjohns / March 18, 2012 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: How did you remove

I did not see any option on the Office installation disc to use it to remove the program. It only provdied buttons for installation. I used three of the methods listed on this MS guidance for uninstalling Office 2007, any one of which should have workded:

Article ID: 928218 - Last Review: January 17, 2012 - Revision: 19.0
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218#Method2

I uninstalled office 2007 by:
1. Using the uninstall control panel
2. I used the Mr. Fixit uninstall tool at the page listed below and it ran to completion, not sure what if anything it did.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218#Method2

3. I tried using the Mr. Fixit trouble shooter tool uninstall and install. but apparently it won't work since I already removed Office.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651/

It lists other programs it found on the system; when I select other, it requests the 38 digit product code (not the 25 digit product key) for the program. I searched online and at the MS support site and did not get a single good hit on the product code, or anything close. The tool also had the option of using it to troubleshoot install issues, but again it required the 38 digit code. Any idea what the product code is?

4. I used the manual process
Note that on step 2 it told me to go to the services.msc file to make sure the Office Source Engine service is stopped. I did not find that service in the list. Am I missing an important file that should be there even if the Office program is not or was it just correctly uninstalled already?

None of the above solved the problem.

Regarding .Net Framework, I did not have 1.0,1.1, or 2.0 on my system - it only showed 3.5 SP1. I think the instructions might have been written prior to 3.5. If you have 3.5 do you also need any of the other 3 or is all the functionality provided through the later version like most programs? Or Do I need to separately install 1.1 and 2.0?

I tried to repair 3.5 but it could not be repaired. So I uninstalled and reinstalled it, trying to reinstall Office 2007 after each, but to no avail.

Today's Atempts:

1. Ran RevoUninstalPro and it found a leftover registry key.
Again tried loading the software unsuccessfully.

2. Try searching the registry for an entry with error codes "66332632-9C28-58B1-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E" or "0x800736FD", but found no matches.

3. Set up brand new user account (with administrator priveleges). Reinstall of Office again failed.

Any more suggestions? Do I need to install .Net Framework 1.0,1.1, and 2.0 for general use even though I have 3.5 SP1?

Collapse -
Sorry fr the delay.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 19, 2012 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Still no fix

Well that's very comprehensive and you followed all the options in the MS uninstall guidance and none of it worked.

Frankly I am stumped.

That missing Services could be telling, and I wonder if you have a damaged OS here. You say you had several system crashes and you performed a repair install. I would guess that the repair install, while repairing the OS, didn't touch any other damaged files like the existing Office installation.

What can you tell us about the crashes the system suffered? Anything common between them?

I'm thinking that you might need to backup all of your personal files and data, then reinstall this Vista, using the Vista DVD to delete the partition and format it first. It's a day's work to get it all back perhaps, but it might be the easiest method in the end.

There are other options to Office. Both OpenOffice and LibreOffice are free Office suites and they both read MS Office files, but if you edit them and save, then MS Office probably will not recognise them again.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.