Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Trying to increase range on my Clear Spot Voyager

by ajcast5201 / August 7, 2012 7:52 AM PDT

I just signed up with Clear and received their Spot Voyager. The speeds are decent for what I need right now. The only problem is that the range is really only strong enough for one room. I am trying to increase the range so that I can get internet access on two floors. I am not sure what I should do since the Voyager has no ethernet ports. Would a wireless extender/repeater work with the Clear Spot Voyager? If not, do I have any other options?

Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying to increase range on my Clear Spot Voyager
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying to increase range on my Clear Spot Voyager
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Yes,but
by bill012 / August 7, 2012 11:23 AM PDT

A extender will work and in this case is going to be simpler than what is normally discussed here to solve your issue. You have more options when you have a wired ethernet port to work with.

I have done similar with a spirnt evo phone acting as a hotspot. The major problem with extenders is you now have 2 radio links to deal with. One between the extender and the hotspot and a second to your end devices. You still have all the same issue getting signal to your end devices. You now need to find 2 channels that do not interfere with each other as well as do not have too many other people using them. It is somewhat simpler to use 2 different SSID so you know which device your end PC are talking to.

It is just very tedious to set up and get working. It will be a just a little slower since you have 2 radio hops but compared to cell broadband you should not see it.

The key reason this device (like most cell phones) has low power is that it is portable. The internal parts tend to give up coverage to improve on battery life. I would see if the vendor has a normal full size wireless router they can offer. They also make USB stick cell modems that you can attach to a third party router, the vendor should be able to recommend one that is compatible with their modem.

Collapse -
Answer
Before you buy a repeater try this
by SherwoodFoxHV / February 16, 2013 6:31 AM PST

The default transmitter power for the WiFi is set to low. Turning it up should increase the range your devices have in connecting to the CLEAR Spot Voyager but it will not increase the CLEAR Spot Voyagers range in connecting to cell towers. Or possibly make it worse.

1. connect to you're CLEAR Spot Voyager to your computer over WiFi

2. type " 192.168.1.1 " (without the quotation marks) in your web browser.

3. Log in to your CLEAR Spot Voyager the default password is " admin "

4. Click on WiFi settings

5. Click on Advanced

6. Change WiFi range to long

7. Click Apply

That should do it. Changing you're range to high may increase the likelihood the unit will overheat. Keeping it cool or putting a fan on it could help.
If you are unable to log into the web based interface of the CLEAR Spot Voyager try doing a factory reset on it. Google it for instructions but it's basically holding down the power button for 30 seconds.

Hope this helps

Collapse -
Answer
Clear is the worst company in the world
by 47josecnet / March 1, 2013 7:22 AM PST

Want to talk to twenty slaves who don't know anything, and whom you cannot understand? Well, you can't do better than Clear Wireless. Clear stole four hundred dollars from us. Took the money, never provided one gram of service or product. company that is only good for treating American customers like dirt, and exclusively employing terrified slaves on the other side of the world. I repeat: Clear stole four hundred dollars from us.

Collapse -
Answer
Increasing range on Clear Spot Voyager
by FYI2U / April 11, 2013 12:11 PM PDT

Also, you should know that the USB port on a Clear Spot Voyager is more than a just a power charger port. It also bridges to your ethernet chip on any computer equipped with an ethernet, and as such will provide network connectivity to whatever it is plugged into that has ethernet on it. So, in point of fact, your Voyager actually does have an ethernet port. Added bonus - you get copper throughput if you connect through this hardwired connection (much faster than the 8 wifi ports). Hope this helps. --sb

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.