Phones

General discussion

Trying to find the best MicroSDHC card...

by MrKassner / January 20, 2010 11:37 AM PST

I've finally upgraded my phone from an original LG Rumor that I've had a couple years now to the new Samsung Instinct s30 (wish I could of gotten the Instinct HD but either way I still love the Instinct phones and will be keeping this one till it works no more) that I will be receiving tomorrow but the 2GiB MicroSD card I bought for my LG Rumor when I first got it will be no where near enough for all my music, well actually it already is too small to hold even half my music, and I'm assuming the Instinct can play videos so I will have some movies on there too but they will be converted to a lower resolution so they will be only a couple hundred MiB's. So I went to NewEgg.com looking at all the 16GiB MicroSDHC cards and narrowed it down to these:
RiDATA ($48.99) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820183245
A-DATA ($62.99) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211378
OCZ ($67.99) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227489

Each are 16GiB, MicroSDHC, Class 6, memory cards leaving the only differences being brand and price so I figured since so many flash DRIVE tests can be found on Google I'll look for MicroSDHC reviews/tests on Google but the results aren't the best and I didn't really find anything at all to help. I know I'm being picky here but could anyone tell me if they've had any experiences (good/bad) with these cards, if theirs one even better that you recommend (has to be 16GiB and Class 6), etc. It's going to be a couple weeks before I can save up the money for one of these memory cards so I figure I might as well take the time to make sure I get the best.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying to find the best MicroSDHC card...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying to find the best MicroSDHC card...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't worry about the 'best' card for a mobile device
by Pepe7 / January 20, 2010 11:11 PM PST

I use both name brand & generic (including A-Data) microSD/HC cards on a wide variety of devices with very little performance variance. Only when you get into higher end dSLR cameras and Hi Definition video capture devices will the rated card speeds make much of a difference. The processor/RAM bottleneck is significant enough on the LG Rumour that it won't really matter. What's more important is that your device actually *supports* the large size cards, such as a 16GB. Many do not, and it's sometimes trial and error.

For better prices I highly suggest supermediastore.com. I've been using them for about five years give or take with no problems whatsoever. Here's a link to their selection of 16GB microSDHC cards. You can pick up a Ridata card for $45.99 shipped (including adapters).
http://www.supermediastore.com/category/u/microsdhc-micro-sdhc-secure-digital-memory-card-cards?filter=Capacity%3D16GB%7C

Meritline.com is another site I use, but a little less frequently. They tend to be a bit higher and focus on the name brands.
http://www.meritline.com/16gb-micro-sdhc-card-and-up---c-7651.aspx

-Pedro

Collapse -
Well I kinda need the best/fastest because
by MrKassner / January 22, 2010 12:21 AM PST

I'm using the Samsung Instinct s30 not the LG Rumor (the LG Rumor is my old phone) and the Instinct needs the memory card for videos, music, and pictures. One thing I hate is having to wait for my phone to load all the thumbnails of my pictures. Lol. Plus at 16GiB I'll probably end up using the memory card as a flash drive on rarer occasions for when I have to move a bigger file to my PS3 or to a friends house since I only have an 8GiB flash drive. But thanks for the websites.

Collapse -
You need to read up on the technology
by Pepe7 / January 22, 2010 1:25 AM PST

I will repeat what I said ;). Your particular usage (similar to mine) does *not* require the name brand cards, nor the higher speeds. This includes the Samsung Instinct s30, which has a very pokey processor and not much RAM under the hood. For you it's really about the largest capacity card your phone will support. If you plan on moving bigger files, I suggest you grab one 16 and an 8 as a useful backup since they are cheaper.

Unless you have a specific piece of hardware that *requires* the fastest speed cards, you are fine. I.E. dSLR or high def video camera.

-Pedro

Collapse -
Well as I said,
by MrKassner / January 22, 2010 1:59 AM PST

being as the card is so huge (GiB-wise) I will be using it for other things such as transferring files from my computer to PS3 or a friends computer, which that requires the max speed you can get and won't be in the phone when being used for that since every single phone I've used as a memory card reader always slowed down the transfers plus phones apparently lack the simple ability to well... be a phone when in mass-storage mode so I don't know if I'm getting a text or someones calling me, so the memory card will be in a simple USB memory card reader when used for that. So for the most part it will be used in a device incapable of reaching the max speed but other times it won't, plus I figure wouldn't it be better to have the memory card waiting on the phone then the phone waiting on the memory card.

Collapse -
More info
by Pepe7 / January 22, 2010 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: Well as I said,

There won't be any speed issues transferring data to and from these generic cards. Been there, done that, a million times (almost daily).
This 'requirement' for a 'faster card' you speak of is nonsense plain and simple ;). If you've actually compared brands of cards yourself already I'll retract what I've already stated 8-).

Collapse -
Um.
by MrKassner / January 22, 2010 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: More info

As I said in my first post, I'm trying to find out which card is the best/if any of them I should stay away from, or if their is one better then the ones listed.

Collapse -
Like I said...
by Pepe7 / January 22, 2010 7:52 AM PST
In reply to: Um.

...there is no 'best' per se, only need based spec that, in the *real* world, don't always present themselves as a true need per se. That's why I gave the examples of HD video & use in dSLRs as relevent.

FWIW, I use the following brands with good luck and little variance among all other than capacity: Kingston, Sandisk, A-Data & PQI. They all work fine for transferring files, large and small among various digital cameras & smartphones. Anyone insisting that the Kingston is necessarily better than a Sandisk doesn't know what they are talking about(!) It's going to be trial and error until you find a type that works- hint: they all will(!) Wink Another hint- some of the generic brands have the same flash memory under the hood as the name brand cards. There may be a little performance gain in some instances, but you won't see it on your particular applications.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.