Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Trying SFC/SCANNOW returns:"Windows cannot find....

by tobeach / May 22, 2005 1:54 PM PDT

'sfc/scannow'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. To search for a file: click start button, then click search".
Tried running both by having disk in open tray ready to close and also closed at start but because of autorun , I'm afraid of accidently reformatting and re-installing. Tried clicking OK in run and also tried ENTER with same result. Hidden sys files in show mode.
I tried search for files and folders (all) and eventually returned no files. Looked in install disk using explore (Right click) and couldn't figure out which folder it was in.
Am using original instal disk of XP Pro SP1 Version:5.1.2600sp1 build:2600

Wish to sfc system files with scannow to cover replacing any corrupted dlls as I suspect corruption causing hangs and memory dumps.
1) What am I doing wrong
2) About how long in time should I expect process to take (down time) plus or minus according to how many files found corrupt?
3) Should this all be automatic or do I have to sit in front of screen OKing each change? TIA Confused

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying SFC/SCANNOW returns:"Windows cannot find....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying SFC/SCANNOW returns:"Windows cannot find....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
the correct commmand
by metmichallica / May 22, 2005 2:16 PM PDT

is sfc /scannow

space after sfc, exactly like above. Type it.

Collapse -
Thank you for the clarification
by CJLOPR / August 31, 2011 10:09 PM PDT
In reply to: the correct commmand

The Microsoft documentation page about this little-known utility
was poorly written and clearly shows no space after the sfc.
Thank you for the clarification!

Collapse -
Can you provide the link to that documentation page?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 31, 2011 10:21 PM PDT

I'd like to check.

Kees

Collapse -
link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2011 11:41 PM PDT
Collapse -
Command should be...
by Papa Echo / May 22, 2005 2:17 PM PDT

...sfc /scannow. Note the space between the "c" and "/".
If you want to run sfc, make sure the XP disk is SP1 if your OS is SP1, and if your OS is XP SP2, then use an XP SP2 disk or an XP disk with SP2 streamlined in.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thankyou BOTH !! To add a space never occurred!
by tobeach / May 22, 2005 4:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
Yikes ! Put in disk 3 times at prompt...
by tobeach / May 22, 2005 4:59 PM PDT

each time clicking retry and it says files not there. Each time I try to cancel to retry it pops up a system files protection note saying are you sure you want to skip this file: Yes/No. Either answer just sends me back into the same loop with warning windows may request disk again at later time. I note my bottom bar shows 2 copies of file protection plus one of welcome to XP (what do you want to do as if waiting to re-install whole XP system.
This is clearly my original disk. I also note that before the ''file protection '' note another pop up says ''please wait while windows determines files are in their original condition'' (or close to that) and a green bar seems stopped at about 1 or 2% along from left side. Then the file protection popup comes.
IS it possible that the 9 or 10 hotfixes have something to do with preventing scannow or are demanding sp2 be added? Doesn't say that but hotfixes were immediately after original install therefore not on original disk, which I suspect it's comparing to. I asked the guy who did the orignal install to make a full back up copy of XP on the machine but don't recall file name or location (options : cabs?). Would this be a better source if I can find it?

I'm no detective when it comes to comps! Any of this make sense? Thanks again for your time. Happy

Collapse -
sfc
by phantazy / May 22, 2005 5:26 PM PDT

When I run sfc /scannow I leave the O/S disc in the tray. If the autorun starts, then just exit. Hotfix should not make any difference to sfc. although ssp1 and sp2 will. The process takes a long time without any sign of actiom, maybe up to 40 minutes. It also exits without any warning or message when complete.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks, Paul! Unfortunately I don't get that far.
by tobeach / May 23, 2005 3:34 PM PDT
In reply to: sfc
Collapse -
Try....
by Papa Echo / May 22, 2005 5:26 PM PDT

...disk cleanup - especially the Temp files. Then run chkdsk /r (it will take some time). After that, defrag,(again, it will take some time) before running sfc again.

Collapse -
Thanks for reply. I did all suggested.......
by tobeach / May 23, 2005 3:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Try....

including using C Cleaner for all cache etc. Ran chkdsk /r and all seemed to proceed normally watched 4 of 5 checks verified but the last (files) took so long I went for a coffee and when I returned it had finished and booted itself to normal welcome screen. did a defrag (was less than 1% fragmented) and tried 1ST) Scanonce figuring it might not need disk. Same result asking for disk etc. Exited and tried 2)Scannow and got same results as at start. I figured the chkdsk must have done some good so I may give up the idea. I note this is a licensed corporate copy (WXPCORP/en) if that makes any difference. I know it's a "straight" copy (not altered like HP/Compac or IBM etc. I'm game to let ride for a few days or more to see if the memory dumps & hang have gone away now. Will post back again if situation not improved. Thanks again for you efforts !! Happy

Collapse -
sfc /scannow
by reeveboy / May 23, 2005 8:26 AM PDT

sfc /scannow

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks for post !
by tobeach / May 23, 2005 3:53 PM PDT
In reply to: sfc /scannow
Collapse -
sfc again
by phantazy / May 23, 2005 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Thanks for post !

I forgot to mention that Microsoft's IEfix.exe includes sfc /scannow as part of the patch, if you can't access it any other way.

Collapse -
Thanks for that idea, Roantree. Since chkdsk /r no ...
by tobeach / May 25, 2005 6:43 PM PDT
In reply to: sfc again

further hangs or memory dumps have occurred. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My impression is that it(scannow) thinks some Dlls are missing or corrupt and wants to replace them but doesn't seem to find them on install disk.
One further thought occurred: We had a bad(corrupted) install of Fuji Finepix and it created an ASPI layer (by Winstaff) which has no un-installer. I wonder if the space on the HD it took for that layer accidently over-wrote some of the missing Dll files that scannow can't find (or possibly hit area scannow's files resided in). Doesn't explain not finding on instal disk but... Still the IE Fix idea is a good one!! If it acts up again, thats where I'll start. Thanks again! Happy

Collapse -
FINALLY.....THE ANSWER LONG SOUGHT !!!
by tobeach / June 5, 2005 8:54 AM PDT

After 1 & 1/2 months it finally sunk in : when I boot up the computer it seems to ennunciate the floppy A drive and then the CD-RW (instead of the DVD-ROM , which it did in the early days). Despite the OS being installed via the DVD-ROM, when I tried to run SFC /scannow and it called for the install disk, I naturally put the disk in the DVD-ROM, when what it REALLY wanted was for THE DISK TO BE PUT IN THE CD_RW !!!
Soon as I did that, it was off to the races and completed in 15 minutes. Apparently (from the number of times the indicator light on the CD-RW flashed) there must have been a number of files needing to be replaced.
Result: Computer is frisky again and video problems with desktop icons have vanished. Happy, I am !! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.