Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Try System Ninja

by Willy / April 8, 2013 2:12 AM PDT

Along the similar lines of CCleaner, this has proven to be a helpful pgm.. To this user, it appears to be more aggressive in cleaning tasks. It also has tools to remove apps/pgms. and runs across win9x-win8 OSes, so it seems worthwhile.

Review: http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2010/09/22/dls-review-system-ninja-complements-ccleaner-doesnt-replace-i/

Caveat: Upon initial 1st use, don't proceed until you created a new restore point. As i did use the freeware version, I did some cleaning. It found more than CCleaner would have, check link for reasons. On my Win7x64 well over 3k of files needed to be removed. Now, I did a very limited check of that file list, but found re-appeared temp and cache files even after using CCleaner. I ran the SN w/o any setting changes using the "Junk Scanner", as is installed. After sometime, I allowed it to delete the listing of files. Once done, I rebooted and found it finished booting then crashed. I did a "repair" of the system and it did whatever it needed and I didn't select restore option just allow it to finish the repair. *** It would be at this time, an user could then select the restore process and go back prior to SN use.*** I didn't and once the repair completed, I rebooted it found nothing wrong this time and it works. No nagging or glitches afterwords, it just works.

Caveat: I do suggest its use but not when you have a serious problem. It's more a house keeping pgm. IMHO.

tada -----Willy Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Try System Ninja
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Try System Ninja
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So this crashed the system?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2013 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Try System Ninja

" Once done, I rebooted and found it finished booting then crashed. "

As we move from computer owners that could wield sharp knives and perform a high wire act at the same time, this sounds interesting but if this crashed a good system, it tells me that I can't advise this one.

Collapse -
Other reviews were favorable
by Willy / April 8, 2013 4:10 AM PDT

Since, I do alot of pgm. installs and such in order that they may be part of my s/w toolkit, they don't always uninstall or clean themselves after i remove them. I had noticed some remnants of such pgms. and while they didn't effect the system, they did attach themselves, so a cleaning was necessary. In my experience it did do the deed and recovery was minimal. While some users maybe clueless, they are limited in what works for "free". SN seems to be offered along with other utilities as a good fit, so unless users are like me have bunches of useless remnants or what have you, they're left at their own devices. Alas, no malware or other s/w is part of the package.

FYI- Repeated scans and removal were OK.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
But I've seen your high wire act.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2013 4:22 AM PDT

You not only had the mention items in your act but chainsaws and a flaming hoop. Spectacular but I hope you see why I can't offer this to others. Very few would be able to recover on their own.

Collapse -
If this program does ANYTHING with the registry, I'd avoid
by wpgwpg / April 8, 2013 2:28 AM PDT

Anything that fools around with the registry is dangerous. If this program does that, it's snake oil. These programs run and report all kinds of things and appear not to've done any harm. Then when you make updates, whamo, you've got problems. A lot of people think it's the updates that caused the problem when in fact it's the registry cleaner having deleted registry entries that don't APPEAR to be used but are there for future use. Then when the updates come along and try to use them - CRASH. These problems are difficult to diagnose and even more difficult to fix.

Collapse -
Crashing issues..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 8, 2013 3:25 AM PDT

One (of 2 listed) reason for crashes listed at their site is 'typically' due to:

• Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 is not installed or is not functioning correctly. Microsoft .NET 3.5 must be installed to use System Ninja.

• Some of System Ninja's files are missing from the installation directory. Reinstall System Ninja and ensure that System.Ninja.Utilities.DLL and DevComponents.DotNetBar2.DLL are located in the same directory as System Ninja.exe.

• You may have a permissions issue. Try running System Ninja with the "Run As Administrator" option.

Despite the fact I find Singular Labs to be quite reputable, I think I'll pass on this one. CCleaner has been working fine for me without issues. Add to that.. I'm not a "junk-removal junkie" Happy

&cent ¢

Collapse -
(NT) Good to know, as I plan to keep it for now
by Willy / April 8, 2013 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Crashing issues..
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.