Windows 7 forum

Trusted Installer

by michhala / April 17, 2011 8:32 AM PDT

I am at war with Trusted Installer. I want to delete two Windows Mail folders that were not removed when I uninstalled all of Windows Essentials from Programs and Features. I have good instructions from I took ownership and granted myself full control permissions. However, I get the popup telling me I need permission from the Administrator (me)......usually when I see this message, I click "Continue" and proceed....but I am not allowed to proceed in this situation. The proper owner name change is listed in the Windows Mail Properties.

Dell XPS 8100 Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit IE 8

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trusted Installer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trusted Installer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I saw your other post
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 24, 2011 8:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Trusted Installer

and searched for this, "Trusted Installer" thread you started. Sorry.

Not sure why the HelpDeskGeek method failed for you, except I know that permissions got harder in Win 7 and I never even got a handle on it in the {supposedly} easier XP.

I know you are keen to remove 'all traces' of unwanted items on your OS, so I won't even suggest to you that these folders are harmless and could remain, or that there is always the risk of damaging the OS when changing the registry.

No, I won't mention that, Happy

How about this; Try using Windows 7's "Hidden Administrator" account. You need to enable it first;

And I would disable it afterwards.

See if that works.

Collapse -
Just to clarify my post
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 24, 2011 8:51 PM PDT
In reply to: I saw your other post

that link is for Windows 7 as well as Vista.

Collapse -
Thank you, Mark, for not mentioning or suggesting.....
by michhala / April 25, 2011 2:53 PM PDT

.....that these folders are harmless and could remain, or that there is always the risk of damaging the OS when changing the registry. After reading from your link's page on how to enable administrator's account, this note will keep me from so doing: "Note: You really shouldn't use this account for anything other than troubleshooting. In fact, you probably shouldn't use it at all."

Having said all that, I have not yet given up Grin ...... Miki

Collapse -
Miki, I Enable The Administrator Account On All Ours
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 26, 2011 1:14 AM PDT

It's simply a good thing to do, even if you don't use it often. (If you enable it, be sure to give it a password, then write down and save the password someplace where you'll remember it.) Having that second, or third, admin account available for use is a safe step if something were to happen to your other accounts on the computer.. And the "administrator" account does seem to have a few extra privileges when it comes to permissions.

Enabling it on the Windows 7 Home Premium version is easily done using the command below from a command prompt using "Run as administrator".:
net user administrator /active:yes

To disable it:
net user administrator /active:no

It's up to you.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thank you so much, Grif
by michhala / April 26, 2011 8:14 AM PDT

I will follow your instructions and see what happens....will get back in a day or two. BTW re Passwords -- I have all Passwords on a Rolodex with a separate index card for is very private. I have many password variations Grin

Collapse -
Grif, a question before I proceed
by michhala / April 26, 2011 1:06 PM PDT

RE Command Prompt -- I thought I had it set to "Run as Administrator". It is listed in bold print as such when I R click Command Prompt in Accessories and Properties has Adminstrator. However, the Cmd. window comes up with C:\Windows\System32. Is this correct?

Collapse -
Grif, please disregard my post.....
by michhala / April 27, 2011 3:55 AM PDT

...."Grif, a question before I proceed". I found a screenshot that indicated C:\Windows\System32 is correct when using option "Run as Administrator".

Collapse -
(NT) As You've Found, Yep, It's Correct.... Good Job !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 27, 2011 4:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
Grif, I feel very doing something wrong
by michhala / April 27, 2011 4:43 PM PDT

Apologies for being such a pest, Grif. I am not too familiar with Command Prompt. I have used it in Win 98 and XP but not for such as this. Here's my story.

1. The obnoxious Windows Mail folders I want to put in the ground that exist in Program Files 32-bit and 64-bit are owned by Administrator and give permission to the Administrator.

2. Per your instructions, I opened Command Prompt with Run as Administrator, typed net user administrator /active:yes, hit Enter and was rewarded with Command completed successfully.

3. This was followed with a second appearance of C:\Windows\System32. I did not know what to enter. Was it looking for a password? I repeated net user administrator /active:yes again and again and, of course, C:\Windows\System32 reappeared each time.

4. In desperation, I went to one of the Windows Mail folders on the HD, pressed the Shift key and did a R click to bring up Open command window here and entered the magic words again to see what would happen when I tried to delete the Windows Mail folder. I received access denied. Never saw that in my previous delete attempts; only Permission needed, Continue and Try again.

Obviously I am doing something very wrong, leaving out an important step, or not going far enough.

Thank you for your time.....thank you for your patience. Miki

Collapse -
by michhala / April 27, 2011 7:11 PM PDT

I am thinking part of the problem is that there are different variations of my name accompanying the word "Administrator". Control Panel User Accounts has a Dell Logo with "Miki" as Administrator. It quite possibly was put there by Dell before delivery of the computer ?

In Windows Mail, Properties, Security Tab, Advanced, under Group or UserName, listed are:
Miki (Michhala\Miki)
Administrators (Michhala\Administrators)
Users (Michhala\Users)
Trusted Installers.

I changed ownership and permission from Trusted Installers to Administrators (Michhala\Administrators). Should I have changed it to Miki (Michhala\Miki) because it corresponds the closest with that of the Dell Administrator? Having said that, which account would Command Prompt enable as Administrator?

I am the only user and person who has access to computer.....I do not need to log on. I hope I have not confused you.....I have confused me.

Collapse -
by michhala / April 27, 2011 7:29 PM PDT
In reply to: ADDENDUM

As I look at my first ADDENDUM written out, I am thinking that when switching from Trusted Installers, I should have added only the word, "Administrator" to the Group or User Name list as a one size fits all.....except would it be the Dell Administrator, "Miki", or "Administrators (Michhala\Administrators)" or "Miki (Michhala\Miki)"

Thank you.....
From one of the above..

Collapse -
by bob b / April 29, 2011 11:11 PM PDT
In reply to: ADDENDUM 2

I was on Google the other day and ran across a post about trusted installer and difficulty removing files.

Didn't mean much to me since I was not having the problem.

Someone posted in to try "unlocker" worked for them.

Good luck.

Collapse -
by michhala / April 30, 2011 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Fwiw

Bob, My thanks for your effort. I looked up Unlocker, but I am not adventurous enough to try new software. As soon as I get a chance, I will call Microsoft. Although my computer is OEM, I have had good luck with Microsoft and have not ever been charged. After all, Trusted Installer and Windows Essentials are part of their family. I have Dell Support, but they are not familiar enough with Trusted Installer.

Thank you again....I appreciate.

Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows Home Premium SP1 64-bit

Collapse -
(NT) Change Those Permissions To "Miki" or "Everyone"
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 30, 2011 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: ADDENDUM 2
Collapse -
Miki, Sorry It Took So Long To Get Back
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 30, 2011 11:48 AM PDT

I've been out and about and haven't been able to get to the forums much..

At this point, you correctly performed the steps to run the cmd.exe using "Run as administrator". Since pressing the "Enter" key allowed the command to run and you didn't see any errors, you should be able to restart the computer and see the "Administrator" login option on the Welcome Screen.. (If you're not using the Wecome Screen, then you can type "Administrator" in to the username line, leave the password blank, then log in using the hidden administrator.

There should be no reason to change any permissions except possibly for the mail folders, but remember, if you're wanting to access the "Security" tab, and correctly change permissions for any of your folders, you may want to do it from Safe Mode.. On Windows 8 Home Premium, the Security tab won't show up unless you're in Safe Mode.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Grif, the fog is clearing
by michhala / April 30, 2011 1:59 PM PDT

Methinks what I did wrong after running cmd.exe using "Run as administrator" was after hitting Enter, I did not restart the computer and never got to see the "Administrator" login on the Welcome Screen. As soon as I saw that the Windows Mail did not delete, I disabled the "Administrator" account. There was no shutdown between.

Re changing permissions -- There is a "Security" tab on my Windows 7 Home Premium Properties, but I did not change Windows Mail in Safe bad!

Am I correct in thinking that the name of the owner and to whom permission is granted should be the same? (See next paragraph)

Re changing the name to "Miki" -- For Windows Mail 64-bit, I already have "Miki (Michhala\ Miki)" listed as owner with full permission. There are full permission checks grayed out for
Administrators (Michhala\Administrators)". Will leaving "Miki (Michhala\Miki)" work, or do I need to have just "Miki"? "Miki" does not appear in Permission list. OTOH "Everyone" is good, but I would have to add that to the Edit portion to change name and hope it would also appear on the Permission list. I say "hope" because on the 32-bit Windows Mail owner is "Miki (Michhala\Miki)" and full permission is for "Users (Michhala\Users)" and "Administrators (Michhala\Administrators)".

I may not be able to get to this right away as I will be dancing in San Diego from Wed through Mon. Thank you so much for your help......I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel.....with these last few questions, I should be able to accomplish the deed. It may seem silly to some that I am bothered by Trusted Installer, but I always learn so much when I begin an "investigation".

Have a lovely rest of the weekend......miki

Collapse -
Grif, I goofed.
by michhala / May 1, 2011 5:54 PM PDT

Let me begin by apologizing for taking up so much of your time and the Forum's space. I am feeling embarrassed about so doing and hope I have not messed up big time.

For the purpose of defeating Trusted Installer and deleting Windows Mail, a few days ago while changing ownership and permission in Properties for Windows Mail (X86) to Miki (Michhala\Miki) from I believe was Administrators (Michhala\Administrators), I inadvertently right-clicked Program Files (X86). This brought up Program Files( X86) Properties. I hit Securities tab, which set the 0wner change in motion, and the process
quickly proceeded to change ownership. I immediately realized my mistake and canceled, but I think not in time to prevent ownership changes for Programs beginning with Adobe through Common Files (8 folders). I think what happened was ownership was changed, but not permissions. I come to this conclusion because ownership for the Programs that come after Common files is "Administrators (Michhala\Administrators)", but permissions appear to be the same as those of Programs A through C.

Example: Adobe -- Owner Miki (Michhala\Miki).
SYSTEM -- Full Control -- All checks greyed out.
Administrators (Michhala\Administrators) - -Full Control -- All checks greyed out.
Users (Michhala\Users) -- Greyed out checks beside Read and execute, List folder contents, Read.
Trusted Installer-Greyed out check for List folder contents.

Another dopey thing. I thought I needed to keep some consistency between permissions and owner, so went about changing Program Folders A to C back to Administrators (Michhala\Administrators), but discovered it did not change the sub-folders. Manually changing the sub-folders would have been very tedious, so left owner as "Miki (Michhala\Miki)" until I knew exactly what to do. How can I make this right?

Re Windows Mail (X86) -- Owner currently is Miki(Michhala\Miki); Permission for Administrators (Michhala\Administrators is full control, all bold checks; Users (Michhala\Users) is Full control, all bold checks; Trusted installer is (1) bold check beside List folder options.

Re Windows Mail 64-bit - Owner currently is Miki (Michhala\Miki); Permission for "SYSTEM" is Full control, all greyed out checks; Miki (Michhala\Miki) is Full control, bold checks; Administrators (Michhala\Administrators) is Full control, all greyed out checks; Users (Michhala\Users) is bold checks for Full control, Modify, Write and greyed out for Read and execute, List folder contents, Read; Trusted Installer is List folder contents and Special permission grayed out.

So sorry....Miki

Collapse -
"Miki (Michhala\Miki)" Should Have Full Permissions On...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 2, 2011 2:58 AM PDT

...the Windows Mail folders. So with your example below,"Miki (Michhala\Miki)" needs to have full permissions as well. And doing so in the x86 Programs Files is perfectly fine.. I believe the Windows Mail works as x86, but if it does not, changing permissions there shouldn't hurt anything as long as you also set the correct owner and permissions in the x64 Programs. :

Re Windows Mail (X86) -- Owner currently is Miki(Michhala\Miki);
Permission for Administrators (Michhala\Administrators is full control,
all bold checks; Users (Michhala\Users) is Full control, all bold checks; Trusted installer is (1) bold check beside List folder options.

As to your "Goof" in your post below, and as I mentioned in an earlier response, I don't think you really need to change every item on the computer.. The correct owner and full permissions only needs to be assigned to the files or folders you want to get rid of.

As to changing all the items back to the way they were, there's no need as long as you are the main login that uses the computer.. It appears like you've set all those items so "Miki (Michhala\Miki)" will have the correct privileges. That's OK.

To say the least, this is getting confusing.... ;-))

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Grif, even more confusing to me :)
by michhala / May 2, 2011 6:41 AM PDT

Thanks for all your help have been more than patient......methinks 'tis time for me to finalize this thread Happy

Collapse -
Trusted Installer
by guch_i_mane / October 14, 2011 2:47 PM PDT

After much research I found that TRusted Installer and other Win 7 service accounts are being used as an exploit to take over files and or to gain controll of your system. Hackers basically are using your pc as a proxy

Collapse -
Seems to be a different problem
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 15, 2011 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Trusted Installer

There has been no mention of other rogue accounts in this thread.

You may want to post again in your own thread with full details.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.