Trust system requirements lab or not?

by Urfriendlynhoodflyinas / February 7, 2009 9:55 AM PST

Hello Happy
my system is:
two intel core 2 6200 1.80 GHz processors
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache video card
1 gb and windows xp home edition
MSI P965 Neo motherboard.

The system requirements lab tells me that my system can run games such as farcry2 and crysis if i get a new video card and have at least 2gb ram. I've heard that you will need a monster system to run crysis so im a little confused. the requirement meter goes below minimum requirements and when i'm playing half life 2 the frame rate goes below 10 if there is a little smoke. If i buy the recommended video card and some gb ram would i be able to run those games properly? Can i still improve the system or should i just buy all new?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trust system requirements lab or not?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trust system requirements lab or not?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More Of Everything Would Be Better
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 7, 2009 10:05 AM PST

..but it much depends on how big a gamer you are.. The processor is just so-so for gaming.. Yes, d2 GB of RAM would sure help.. And Yes, for Crisis, you need the best graphics card you can afford.

It's your decision..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
low
by repete_smile / February 7, 2009 11:21 AM PST

You can run just about any game on low settings and resolution on that hardware with acceptable framerates. If you want good graphics or have large screen: UPGRADE

Collapse -
haha
by FrankQC / February 7, 2009 2:18 PM PST

With specs your computer might be able to run it... but on very low graphics. If you don't care about details in graphics then sure, try it.
If you're into cutting edge you should get a gaming pc.

Collapse -
hl2
by chickenorfish / February 8, 2009 10:02 PM PST

if you lag in half life 2 i doubt crysis would be very fun

Collapse -
Crysis doesn't require triple-digit graphics cards...
by (Display Name) / August 15, 2009 12:03 AM PDT

Your graphics is the bottleneck for a lot of games right now...
!!!UPGRADE!!! Half-Life 2 should run silky-smooth with any $50 card (maybe less). Even some of the ultra high resolutions should be ok with many of the modern cards that are in the $50USD minimum price range.

You don't need too powerful of graphics anyway - especially for your system. a $80 graphics card should be able to run Crysis with a number of the higher quality settings (barring the large resolutions...you'll be stuck around 1280x720 at the most)...but you're going to find that your CPU will soon be too slow (if not already becomming problem) for all apps.

RAM is something to look at for sure; 2GB is becomming the required standard. RAM is different though, it's not as hard of wall when it comes to performance (except when speaking of the more demanding modern-games which WILL require 2GB)... that said, Vista (x64) really gets great use out of 4GB of RAM. RAM always helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.