TVs & Home Theaters

Question

Trouble with sound on Time Warner Cable

by samsungashok / February 12, 2013 5:37 PM PST

Have TWC and connect through HDMI via Sony home theater system; sound skips or stutters or goes silent, especially when watching a recorded program via dvr; have tried connecting with component and also by passed cable box and directly to tv still have issues; used to have scientific atlanta box now have different cable box still same problems; have switched hdmi cables to see if they r a problem and also plugged into different hdmi ports on tv to see if that makes difference and it might for a day or two but then skipping/stuttering comes back; no problems with picture just sound. most noticeable on Jeopardy when portions of clues are being read the sound skips/stutters or goes silent; any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trouble with sound on Time Warner Cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trouble with sound on Time Warner Cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Need to know all makes/models involved
by Pepe7 / February 13, 2013 12:05 AM PST

This way we know exactly which models you are working with, including the HDTV.

Collapse -
CLARIFICATION
by samsungashok / February 14, 2013 11:51 AM PST

I have a CISCO 8742HDC dvr; sony bvd100s home theatre system and vizio xvt3d474sv tv. the latest HDMI cable I am using is from monoprice and it is 15ft Ultra Slim Series High Performance HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology.

I previously had a Samsung TV and had the same problems but not as much as now and so I was hoping I could help someone troubleshoot for me. Also previous had the Scientfic Atlanta cable box/dvr before getting this Cisco.

Thanks

Collapse -
I have nearly identical problem
by seymour277 / February 25, 2014 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: CLARIFICATION

Sound drops out for 1/2second intermittently. Sometimes every few minutes; sometimes once a half-hour,. Drives me crazy! Never had the problem before so I though it might be my new a/v receiver, but tech person who is very good said it was the cable box. Sucks!
I've a t-w box hooked up to an Anthem380 a/v receiver and a Panasonic 55VT60 plasma tv. No real complaints with the video (given how often the video is messed up, am I supposed to be ok with loss of audio?).
Read elsewhere to try a different HDMI, which is very same as your Monoprice red mere. So I'll try that....
Ever resolve your problem?

Collapse -
I agree. It's the TWC issued cable box
by Pepe7 / February 25, 2014 1:50 AM PST

There have been similar reports @ DSLreports.com. You might want to go over there and peruse the forums for specifics (sorry I don't have a thread to share, just the forum itself).

Have you tried bypassing the receiver w/ digital optical as an 'end run'(?) Like this:

TWC box (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) HDTV
" "" (digital optical out) --> (digital optical in) AV Receiver

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.