PC Hardware forum

Trouble with replacing onboard graphics card.

by kurlkurry / January 25, 2013 5:03 PM PST

Hello all, I'm new around here so forgive me if this is the wrong place for this post.

I recently bought a new graphics card, an Nvidia Galaxy GT 440, to replace the onboard Geforce 9100 that came with my computer, and are having trouble getting it up and running. Card is installed and seated correctly (triple checked) but whenever I attempt to boot up my comp I have no display on my monitor. I went into BIOS and selected the PCI-E as my primary video but still no success. My setup is an HP Pavillion p6320y (specs: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01969880&lang=en&cc=us&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=4079858&prodTypeId=12454). As near as I can tell, the power supply should be enough for the card. I have not gone through the device manager and disabled the onboard card, for fear that if it doesnt work I will be completely out of luck with no display at all (it currently works if I simply plug the VGA cable back into the standard port). Any feedback/info you guys could provide would be great, and thanks in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trouble with replacing onboard graphics card.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trouble with replacing onboard graphics card.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Typical install
by Willy / January 26, 2013 12:04 AM PST

You're leaving out details. What port is the new card going to be using? In most cases a new card will disable the on-board video port, but you seem to still be using it, so it never got disabled. In the bios, revisit and be sure that whatever relates to video is proper. This varies so follow what HP(support website) provides in their adding video card instructions. Further, you new video card should have instructions as well. While you state your current PSU is enough to power the new card, just what are the specs needed. You need to play it well above the wanted specs in order to deliver on a constant basis. If the new video card wants 300W, be sure your PSU is at 400W or better, yours is 300W. Though it may work, typical video power issues arise after 30-days or so, because you're pushing the PSU too much. Are you sure you added or connected the extra power leads to the video card from the PSU? Understand the video card WANTS 300W, what about the other devices? It cuts it close.

Video manager s/w from the card maker provides direct access to its features. I hope you installed all new s/w and drivers fully and you can access it. You need to tweak it but also select it. No display, then verify is other than VGA, you select from the monitor itself(OSD menu) what video port you use if applicable. Then at the PC use the video manager to get it all settled. No shortcuts, please check and verify. There are YouTube videos if you want to review them, sometimes it helps.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
graphics card
by chkmatr / February 3, 2013 10:54 AM PST

Just put it in onboard graphics is just that on motherboard put the new one in ands it will take over

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.