Android forum

Question

Trouble with my notification bar suddenly disappeared, why?

by The_RunningCat / April 2, 2012 4:43 PM PDT

My Droid X was just updated a day or so ago and now suddenly my notification bar has gone missing. The phone is not rooted and I have not done anything with the phone since I did the update. Also when I restart the phone for a while the notification bar will be there but as soon as it gets a notification the bar disaperas. Why is this suddenly happening? How might I fix this, for someone who mostly a user?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trouble with my notification bar suddenly disappeared, why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trouble with my notification bar suddenly disappeared, why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Can you clarify.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / April 2, 2012 11:45 PM PDT

Are you referring to the icon menu at the top of the screen? I also use the same device on Verizon.

There was a system update that I just downloaded about 2 weeks ago. Go to the phone settings and post the system version and Android version installed in your phone. With that said, my phone shows System version 4.5.621, Android version 2.3.4. I have not experienced the same issue with my Droid X.

If your System and Android versions are the same, I suspect a bad install happened on the phone. Any chance you might have accidentally interrupted the install process?

Collapse -
Same version
by The_RunningCat / April 3, 2012 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Can you clarify.....

Yes, I have that same version and I remember seeing it saying update complete. Perhaps it is something else but I do not know what could possible be causing the notification bar to disappear so suddenly. Also after a restart the bar is there until I get a notification and then it disappears and will not come back.

Collapse -
Maybe I missed it. Did you try setting it to show?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2012 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Same version
Collapse -
No Launch Pro
by The_RunningCat / April 3, 2012 2:18 AM PDT

I do not have launch Pro other any other launch program other than what is built into the Droid X

Collapse -
Could be in the theme.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2012 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: No Launch Pro
Collapse -
Update
by The_RunningCat / April 3, 2012 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Could be in the theme.

I tried something new that some suggested and for the time being the bar has not gone away. An additional item, that just came to me, that bar would always go away when phone is in sleep mode (you know the screen is wither in low power or off) and when I bring it back the bar is gone. The only way to get it back is to restart the phone.

Collapse -
Seems like some app has diddled where it shouldn't
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2012 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

Sorry but I've only encountered this a few times. We had to remove apps, themes, live wallpapers or in short "anything not stock" until we found it.

Android feels like the new windows in this respect. Have a problem? Format it.
Bob

Collapse -
Something worked
by The_RunningCat / April 3, 2012 3:23 PM PDT

I had someone suggest to me that if I have yahoo account in the phone that removing that will help. I thought well it couldn't hurt and since removing that account the notification bar is now working. That is REALLY weird. I wish I knew what caused this.

Collapse -
Tell more about this yahoo account.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2012 3:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Something worked

I hope you didn't install their app.

Collapse -
Oh no
by The_RunningCat / April 4, 2012 1:46 AM PDT

This was just an account add on I did sometime back when you can add accounts to phone. Now that I have removed that account it seams to be working pretty good once again, well at least for a phone that is almost 2 years old that is.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
it as easy as locking your phone
by aryanboymrt / December 31, 2012 10:50 AM PST

just hold the screen lock button, some option get opened like swith off, reboot , and expand desktop click on expand desktop (its status would be disable) there you go

Collapse -
Answer
Trouble with my notification bar suddenly disappeared, why?
by yasmeensmo / January 1, 2013 7:00 PM PST

You need to download an air push ad detecting app like Lookout. When you run it, it'll tell you which app is causing those ads so you can delete it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.