Laptops forum

General discussion

Trouble with Chicony webcam on Toshiba Notebook

by tovette / August 13, 2007 5:29 PM PDT

I have a Toshiba X205-S9349 with Vista Home Premium notebook.

I have searched these forums about my problem and have only found issues when people upgrade to vista ultimate- my dilemma is a little different.

I have a Chicony USB 2.0 camera built in to the notebook. Yesterday it was working perfectly fine and then several hours ago it would start and then quit a few seconds later. It did this 3 times before refusing to start at all. I would get a 'the camera is not plugged in' message from then on. I did not install any programs today. My only guess is that there was an automatic update for vista and i didn't not see it. I am trying to figure out what is going on. The camera shows up in the device manager with no yellow '!' markers, so the OS thinks nothing is wrong. Do I need a driver update??? Please help me out. I am out of ideas. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trouble with Chicony webcam on Toshiba Notebook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trouble with Chicony webcam on Toshiba Notebook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No you need to go back to when it worked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2007 11:17 PM PDT

If it's a software issue, SYSTEM RESTORE which is a feature of XP can roll you back to when it worked. Also there are some laptops with a button you press to turn off the camera. Be sure to look for this since I do not have your laptop and you did not supply a link to the manual.

Bob

Collapse -
Update with the camera issue
by tovette / August 14, 2007 4:23 AM PDT

Okay, I don't have XP on my notebook, it's vista home premium, so I don't know if that has something to do with it. Also, I updated the driver to version 6.2.208.424, driver date of 4/24/07. This brought the cam to a quasi-working state. The only way I know of accessing the cam is via IM applications. On Yahoo IM, the cam turns on and then the picture goes black; the brightness levels drop out. Upon going into the webcam settings the brightness is still set to 50/100 and I have to adjust the antiflicker from 50hz to 60hz and the picture comes back, but i have to do this everytime I use the cam via Yahoo IM. On MSN IM the cam doesn't come on at all. I know this isn't normal behaviour for the cam but I'm unsure of what do next as I hadn't installed anything between the moments it was working and wasn't.
You requested the manual. Where can I get a link to that??

Collapse -
Vista has a rollback feature too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2007 4:29 AM PDT

As to the manual, since you can't find it, I can't either.

Bob

Collapse -
Update
by tovette / August 14, 2007 5:45 AM PDT

I looked around and could only find this link.

http://www.generalmanual.com/download.php?open=1&link=aHR0cDovL2NkZ2VucDAxLmNzZC50b3NoaWJhLmNvbS9jb250ZW50L3Byb2R1Y3QvcGRmX2ZpbGVzL2RldGFpbGVkX3NwZWNzL3NhdGVsbGl0ZV9YMjA1LVM5MzQ5LnBkZg%3D%3D

A true user's manual isn't out for this notebook yet on the net as far as I know. Outside of that, have you ever heard of this kind of behaviour from a webcam on a notebook? I'm puzzled as to why it would just decide to not peform properly out of the blue. Thanks for any help.

Collapse -
Yes and why I use system restore.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2007 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

On XP and Vista the first stop is system restore to when it worked. By installing new drivers you are moving farther away from when it worked.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) PS. That manual was not a manual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2007 5:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
I am having problems too
by gonyeamj / August 23, 2007 7:34 PM PDT

I have a Toshiba A215-S4757 operating Vista home Premium notebook. It has a built-in Chicony webcam. Everytime i try to use my webcam it says locked by other application. I have shutdown every program that has to do with webcams and even sound but no luck. I would like some help figuring out this problem. Thank you

Collapse -
(NT) Did you rollback to when it worked?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2007 1:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
SAME PROBLEM
by pastordavi / September 4, 2007 9:48 AM PDT

I am having the same problem with my toshiba satilite. I use vista home primium....please advise me when a solution is found!!!

Collapse -
Update.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2007 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: SAME PROBLEM

I solved this using my answers above.

Collapse -
webcam
by Jake van Ysseldyk / May 31, 2008 9:08 AM PDT

download SP1 from microsoft and your problem will be over

Collapse -
graph render fail
by sueinporter / June 18, 2009 11:34 AM PDT
In reply to: webcam

I have done a system restore, downloaded SP1 and SP2, removed the camera from the device manager, turned it off and back on, rebooted. Nothing has worked so far. I even checked for the most updated driver. Watch me buy another Toshiba!

Collapse -
Toshiba webcam
by camack / July 28, 2009 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: graph render fail

I'm also having problems with my webcam; quit working about two months after i bought my laptop (in 2007). My Staples warranty runs out next week, but they say this is a software issue so won't help me. I have Satellite Pro a200. I've done everything...reformatted hard drive (twice), reinstalled Chicony, etc., etc. I'm totally fed up. Anyhow now I finally have the camera there at the side, which was gone at one point. When I am on Skype I can see who I'm talking to, but they can't see me. The message I get is "turn on camera"....but there is nothing to turn on that I can see. Anyone have any suggestions? This will be the last Toshiba I ever purchase.

Collapse -
reformatted hard drive (twice),
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2009 10:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Toshiba webcam

That could be the problem. When I re-install the OS on Toshiba's around here I use the Toshiba Restore media. I do know that you won't find good or any support if you install some other OS no matter what the maker today.

Tell a little more. And do try the factory supplied OS. If that fails then you have a warranty issue.
Bob

Collapse -
webcam
by camack / July 28, 2009 11:10 PM PDT

I used my restore disk that I had to make. Nothing came with my computer. A question....if the built-in camera won't turn on, isn't that "hardware" and not software????

Also...I read an earlier post, who wrote:

"What i realised is that im working with a laptop .. ie.. lots and lots of power settings to conserve power. what i found was the power setting i was on had "suspend USB when not in use" setting was enabled. IE.. i would turn the laptop on ..camera not in use .. so it suspends it that is to say like turns it off. Now the camera cant be turned on manually in my case so this left the camera useless. I have since disabled this setting well to be honest i changed my power setting to HIGH PERFORMANCE and customised it to make sure everything was turned on!! or enabled or made it so that nothing turned off"

I've changed it to high performance....but where do I change the "suspend USB when not in use" setting????? Hoping this might work??

Collapse -
Sorry but you have a warranty issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2009 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Toshiba webcam

And a forum issue. Your replies can't be answered since the forum limits the depth of replies.

But now we know you did not format the machine. You "restored" the machine. Some may think it does not matter but in this case it does. The details matter big time.

"I used my restore disk that I had to make. Nothing came with my computer. A question....if the built-in camera won't turn on, isn't that "hardware" and not software????

Also...I read an earlier post, who wrote:

"What i realised is that im working with a laptop .. ie.. lots and lots of power settings to conserve power. what i found was the power setting i was on had "suspend USB when not in use" setting was enabled. IE.. i would turn the laptop on ..camera not in use .. so it suspends it that is to say like turns it off. Now the camera cant be turned on manually in my case so this left the camera useless. I have since disabled this setting well to be honest i changed my power setting to HIGH PERFORMANCE and customised it to make sure everything was turned on!! or enabled or made it so that nothing turned off"

I've changed it to high performance....but where do I change the "suspend USB when not in use" setting????? Hoping this might work??"

If the BIOS is set to factory defaults and you restored using their destructive full restore to factory mode and Toshiba's web cam software does not work then you have a warranty issue.

-> If you did ANYTHING such as registry cleaning, uninstall or install other applications then you have given them reasons to tell you it's not a hardware issue.
Bob

Collapse -
warranty issue
by camack / July 28, 2009 11:45 PM PDT

Ok...thanks. To clarify...if I do the restore disk again and web still does not work, then I should be able to take it back in under warranty, as then all the other applications will be gone? I hardly use this laptop, so not much on it but Word, Adobe, Skype, AVG virus protection. So should I delete all that stuff and/or do the restore disk again.....or should I be safe to take in as is? Sorry....probably dumb questions...but I'm not a computer expert. Thanks so much for your help.

Collapse -
Sorry that I can't reply to your posts directly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2009 12:17 AM PDT

It's a forum limitation.

You wrote "Ok...thanks. To clarify...if I do the restore disk again and web still does not work, then I should be able to take it back in under warranty, as then all the other applications will be gone?"

In my mind, yes. It's now STOCK and you are showing it as configured by the maker. Make a COPY of those RESTORE CD/DVDs and when you return it for service supply that COPY so they can do the restore if they want. BE CIVIL, NICE as you possible can. Never lose your cool, make your point then listen (be quiet and let them talk.) Now if they won't accept it, try NICELY one more time that the laptop has the restore media and this feature seems to be dead. Try saying "Can you try it?" Above all keep cool, calm and more. If they refuse, ask for a contact to discuss the warranty with. Don't lose your cool if they refuse since we can go back home and call up their main office and find out later.

" I hardly use this laptop, so not much on it but Word, Adobe, Skype, AVG virus protection. So should I delete all that stuff and/or do the restore disk again.....or should I be safe to take in as is?"

My advice is the full destructive restore from the factory media. Don't give them any reason to think it's something you installed or changed.

"Sorry....probably dumb questions...but I'm not a computer expert. Thanks so much for your help."

No, the dumb question is the one not asked. I am not the person you have to deal with but want you to be in the best possible position. Be sure to KEEP COOL and never make any threats.

In parting if they do take the machine, get some receipt for the laptop, with what you left with them. Serial number, power brick, cords, etc. Since the media is a copy, ignore that on the list. It will likely always be lost. Accept that. Said receipt should be on something official looking with the store name, etc.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by camack / July 29, 2009 12:25 AM PDT

Thanks for your reply...I really appreciate it. I've already been back to Staples twice regarding this matter, but I am going to give it one last shot. I'll try not to lose my cool, ha ha ha

Collapse -
Chicony webcam
by sueinporter / September 16, 2009 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: graph render fail

Same thing here. Tried everything suggested and got nothing. The only step that made any difference was to download the most current driver, but that only changed the message to "no preview".

Collapse -
tech prblems..
by nizmosan / September 5, 2007 4:36 PM PDT
Collapse -
problem with my Chicony USB 2.0 Webcam
by dribnif / August 28, 2007 12:46 PM PDT

I'm having the same problem. It seems like a lot of people are. I've looked all over and am havin little luck fixing it. Dear Toshiba, help, Love, Us.

Collapse -
possible solution
by drmbush / September 1, 2007 11:02 AM PDT

I had the same problem with my A215-S4757. A Toshiba support person told me to run msconfig by going to accessories and then run. Then under the tab labeled "Services" check the box that says "Hide all Microsoft services" and then click on disable all. Next, under the tab that says "Systems" click on disable all and press ok. You should then be asked to restart so press ok and once the computer is back up try with your messenger software and it should work. It did for me.

Collapse -
I didn't work
by dribnif / September 2, 2007 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: possible solution

...but thank for the suggestion. Toshiba is telling me to reinstall the operating system (after several failed attempts to get the darned thing to work. I don't mind since I've only got 2 months worth of junk on here and have backed everything up to an external HD, but it's still a drag. I'll see if it works.

Collapse -
I Want To Diasble My Chicony USB 2.0
by Chuck560 / September 6, 2007 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: I didn't work

Can anyone tell me how I can disable the Chicony USB 2.0 webcam that is built in to my Toshiba 215-S4757 Satellite Laptop? I'm not satisfied with it and had all the problems that other's have had, even had to bring the computer back to how it was when I first bought it. Video quality is very poor. I want to install and use my Logitech QuickCam Notebook Deluxe instead.

Collapse -
To disable the onboard webcam...
by tovette / September 6, 2007 4:12 AM PDT

To disable your onboard webcam, go into device manager and then to imaging devices and click on the chicony webcam drive. Then click 'disable'. This is what I did to my webcam when it went south on me. I use my Creative Webcam and the quality is far superior. The rest of the laptop works great.

Collapse -
To disable the onboard webcam
by Chuck560 / September 6, 2007 5:14 AM PDT

Thanks, I'll do that.

Collapse -
Microsoft Hotfix, this worked for my webcam!!!
by j_n_l_rocks / May 31, 2008 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: I didn't work

I got this directly from the Toshiba Website and it worked for my webcam! Hope this helps!

Issue

This Support Bulletin is applicable to Toshiba portable computers that have a built-in Chicony webcam and are running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista Home, Vista Home Premium, Vista Business, or Vista Ultimate.

The built-in webcam enters its own sleep state when not in use. Applications that use the camera should be able to wake the camera from its sleep state, but may not be able to do so after the computer is awakened from the Windows Vista Sleep state.

The following error messages indicate that the camera can not be awakened from its sleep state:

"The webcam is not connected" -- in Yahoo Messenger, after clicking My webcam and selecting the Chicony USB 2.0 Camera as the Camera Source.

"Locked by another application" -- when clicking the Start Camera button on the Camera Assistant software's Web Camera tool bar (when there is not another application using the webcam).

Resolution

Install the Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB931812).
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931812

1. Review the background information in Microsoft Knowledgebase Article 938315.

2. Review Microsoft Knowledgebase Article 931812 and fill out the Web Submission Form for the Hotfix.

Microsoft will send an e-mail message with a download link for the Hotfix.

3. Click the link in the message to download and install the Hotfix.

The built-in webcam should now respond correctly to requests from applications.

Collapse -
systems or startup
by pastordavi / September 4, 2007 10:13 AM PDT

you mentioned under the "systems" tab....there is none. Did you mean the "startup"tab?

Collapse -
Top of the class - this worked for me.
by toshiba tom / January 17, 2009 3:55 AM PST

Tried this after lots of other unsuccessful ideas. No idea why, but it works. I also run ICQ and Skype and they did recognise Chicony webcam, so problem seemed to be Vista/MSN Live Messenger/update related. Had been using the previous week with no problems.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.