TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Trouble Playing iPod Through Samsung 6 Series LCD

by alberthengzhou / July 6, 2008 12:36 PM PDT

I just got a 52 in Samsung A650 and I am hoping to listen to my ipod through the tv, via a docking station. The dock has a line out jack and from it I have a monster cable that splits into the red/blue audio cables...I was hoping that I could hook those cables into one of the tv inputs and listen to the ipod through the tv's speakers. I am able to watch and listen to videos from the ipod via the dock and the S Video outlets on the tv...but cannot get just audio. Any support is greatly appreciated. The tv rocks, b/t/w!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trouble Playing iPod Through Samsung 6 Series LCD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trouble Playing iPod Through Samsung 6 Series LCD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
USB port
by doogaz99 / July 6, 2008 11:04 PM PDT

You actually can directly connect your iPod or any other portable media player using the set's side USB port -- from there, you can access the player using the WiseLink menu and then be able to play the music files, though you won't be able to play the video files.

Have you tried the audio connection to any other new TV?

Collapse -
by alberthengzhou / July 7, 2008 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: USB port

I like the setup...more interactive than I was expecting and the sound is all I need for my apartment. I'm going to look into accessing my playlists on the ipod - at lunch I wasn't able to play them through the tv...I'm thinking a/b creating a "dummy" genre b/c I don't use that field much anyway; therefore, I could essentially assign a genre to the songs that would organize them like a playlist. Kind of more work than I want and not too cool, but have any other suggestions on how to access the playlists?? Thank!

Collapse -
Trouble accessing music files on Samsung 650
by jbousquin / February 19, 2009 11:38 AM PST

Just got my Samsung 650 and have been really impressed with it. When I plug my iPod Touch into the USB WiseLink port, the TV recognizes it as an iPod, but when I choose "Music" on the TV screen, I get a message that says no music files are found. It also says my iPod is empty. Does anyone have experience with this? What am I doing wrong?

Collapse -
Ipod and Samsung
by CelestialMeans / February 11, 2012 4:30 AM PST

Did you ever figure out what the problem was connecting your ipod to play music through your tv. Your post is really old... from '09 .. but I am having the exact issue.

Collapse -
Its the TV
by Dan Filice / February 12, 2012 2:04 PM PST
In reply to: Ipod and Samsung

When I posted my earlier replies to the original post, I had my iPod connected to my Toshiba LCD TV and it worked fine. Recently I purchased a Panasonic Plasma, connecting an iPod using only the audio plugs connected to the TV, and it does not work. It's how the TV is configured. Some TVs require a video signal to be plugged into the same input as the one where the audio inputs are connected, otherwise the audio doesn't work. I guess the brilliant idiots who design some of the newer TVs never figured anyone would use audio without video. It probably required using a 2 cent chip, so someone deemed it too expensive.

Collapse -
Fix for playing music files through Samsung Smart TV
by Tracy-Jean / December 31, 2012 5:59 PM PST
In reply to: Ipod and Samsung

Check to see what format your music files are in. If you are trying to play directly from an Apple device (iPod) or music files saved from iTunes (perhaps on a USB device) the format will probably be MPeg4 which is a protected format....Apple and Samsung don't make things easy for users as far as compatibility goes! Anyway, to get round this, if you open iTunes and burn a CD with your selected tracks in MP3 format, then save the disc to your Windows Music folder, you should then be able to load the MP3 files on a USB device, plug this directly into one of the TV USB ports and open up the Music menu on the TV....hopefully the MP3 music files should now show up on your menu. If you want to play your iPod directly through the Samsung TV the only way you can do this using MPeg4 files is through an Apple TV and pay a $35 annual subscription for the pleasure. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Trouble accessing music files on Samsung 650
by jbousquin / February 20, 2009 1:01 AM PST

Just got my Samsung 650 and have been really impressed with it. When I plug my iPod Touch into the USB WiseLink port, the TV recognizes it as an iPod, but when I choose "Music" on the TV screen, I get a message that says no music files are found. It also says my iPod is empty. Does anyone have experience with this? What am I doing wrong?

Collapse -
iPod not working from Samsung Series 6 42"
by davidmcastellan / September 9, 2009 12:06 AM PDT

I read the other comments but suggestions do not work. I have USB connection and only podcasts are recognized but not music. Any ideas

Collapse -
series 5 samsung ipod through usb
by spacesedge / April 3, 2010 3:47 PM PDT

Mine is a series 5 so i had turn on wisevid etc in the setup menu because yours is a 6 its already on, just mentioning it because it may by why mine works the way it does. When i plug my ipod in through the usb cable. The music folder shows no music to get to it, i go through ipod_control, then music, then it appears as if you were accessing it from my computer on desktop in ******** folders, ex. F00 F01, i can play the music, though its just not in any particular order so its hard to find any one song i want. Anyone know how to be able to ascess it and have it appear in some sembilence of order ie, albums together or artists?

Collapse -
Wrong, I have the same issue with the un46b8000
by sprink62 / September 23, 2009 8:47 AM PDT

the only way i can probably listen to the iphone is thru the audio/headphone plug to the audio plug on the TV

Collapse -
TV doesn't play iphone music via USB
by mgbinetti / December 20, 2009 1:48 AM PST

TV recognizes that I've plugged in an iPhone via USB, but when the wiselink menu pops up with all the departments: audio, video, etc. I go into music and there are no tracks listed. I get an error saying nothing was found.

Collapse -
playing an ipod ona samsung 630 or 65o model
by martymar11213 / February 1, 2010 10:53 PM PST

i spoke to a samsumg tech and he stated that there is no option to connect the i-pod to the TV. However, you can connect your iPod to most Samsung TVs using either a proprietary Apple Composite AV or Component AV adaptor cable or Samsung's iPod Data Transmission adapter cable, part # BN96-03624A. If you are using the I-pod as a mass storage device, then the TV detects the i-pod, but you cannot access the files in that as the TV do not support this.

Collapse -
the solution :)
by tresordiable / November 28, 2010 11:46 AM PST

i had the same problem . but i found out the solution:
1- choose MUSIC.
2- click SORTING button in the remote control(blue button)
3- choose TITLE or ARTIST.
4- choose the A B C ... or the name of the artist you want to listen to.
5- choose the song you want to listen. you can choose more than one song using TOOLS buttom .

hope you enjoy you TV Happy BTW, i just bought my new samsung TV yesterday. it's 6 series and i love it .

your friend Mohammed.

Collapse -
Audio & S-Video
by Dan Filice / July 7, 2008 12:19 AM PDT

S-Video does not carry audio, so to watch videos from your iPod and docking station you must have yhe S-Video and 2 audio cables connected to your TV. Just curious if this is how you currently have your dock station hooked up, and if it is, what happens if you unplug the S-Video cable while watching videos. Do you still get audio? If so, but you can't get audio while simply trying to listen to an iPod playlist of audio-only, then I'm stumped.

Collapse -
Audio/S-Video Reply
by alberthengzhou / July 7, 2008 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Audio & S-Video

Thanks for the reply. The audio cables are red and blue (2) and those go into the tv while the other end is 1 that goes into the lineout jack of the dock. When hooked up w/ the S-Video, I can view/listen to videos from the ipod on the tv; however, as soon as I unplug the s-video cable, nothing. It seems that the tv will only recognize the device if the video is connected and receiving.

I plugged the ipod into the tv via usb and listened to it that way; however, I can only listen by artist/title/genre -- can't access my playlists...oh well.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Yeah I have problems also...
by karnageking / March 30, 2009 7:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Audio/S-Video Reply

I have the 650 series TV and an ipod classic 32GB and when I plug it into the USB slot i get to view the pics but cannot listen to my music. I tells me there is no music file? I have over 700 songs and lots of movies on it so what am I doing wrong. Maybe it has been explained above and I missed it but I cant get it to work. Please help

Collapse -
Here's How I Do It
by Dan Filice / March 30, 2009 8:37 AM PDT

Don't laugh, but I simply use a cable that has a mini-headphone jack on one end and two RCA plugs on the other end. I plug the headphone jack into my iPod then plug the RCA into any Audio-Input jacks on the TV that aren't being used. I can then listen to my iPod on the TV after selecting the proper Input to hear the audio. The TV input wants to see video of course, but there's just a blank screen while I listen to music.

Collapse -
Can't play audio only from iPhone using analog A/V cables
by mgbinetti / December 19, 2009 3:02 AM PST

I have a new 46" Samsung 650 series. I have an iPhone connected to a universal doc. I use component cables to connect my iPhone/Dock to the TV.

I also have an Airport Express with an Air Tunes port on it. I use just an audio RCA cable from the Airport to a second A/V input on my TV.

In both instances, if video is not included in the audio I'm trying to play, than the TV says no signal. But there is a signal -- just audio. The audio is indeed playing because when I "trick" the TV into thinking there is a video signal (by feeding it a random video signal from something else) I can hear my music from iPhone and Air Tunes.

Why can I not just play the audio? In other words, why doesn't the Samsung TV recognize the audio alone? Why does it need a video signal too? Isn't there a way to use the TV to playback just audio through its speakers? There simply must be a way to accomplish this without having to also send a video signal.

Bummed Out,

Collapse -
iPod to TV
by Dan Filice / December 19, 2009 5:52 AM PST

You say that you use "Component" cables to connect your iPod dock to the TV. This makes sense to send video and audio, but just for audio, can you choose to not connect the video portion of this cable and only use the two audio cables? I not sure it's your TV. I've had DVD players connected to my TV via component and have unplugged the video cables from that input, and I still got audio. To test your TV input connection to see if it will play only audio, do you have a cable for you iPhone that plugs into the mini plug and splits into two RCA plugs (Red & White)? Trying this would at least narrow down the problem. Also, try a different input on your TV. Instead of using one of the component inputs, use one of the inputs that only has the three RCA plugs (Yellow=video, White & Red = audio) and simply use the red and white plugs to test it. This should work.

Collapse -
Using Samsung for Audio Only
by mgbinetti / December 19, 2009 8:13 AM PST
In reply to: iPod to TV

Ok, here's my update. And let's simplify my earlier scenario a bit. Here's what we're looking at:

-- 1 mini male to two RCA-end audio male cable (audio 1/8 inch to RCA converter cable)

-- 1 ipod touch with mini audio jack output

-- Samsung flat panel with audio inputs associated with each of the following:

1 Component input; 2nd Component input; 1 composite input

I got the iPod going and proceeded to try each inputs without video cables attached in each case -- just the audio cable from my iPod. No go in each case. TV says "no signal." I had headphones to check the iPod -- there was an audio signal.

Conclusion -- $1,300, 46" Samsung TV cannot just play audio without a video feed accompaniment. Big Bummer there Sammy my boy! Come on guys, what gives? : \

Work around if you have a universal iPod dock with component video / RCA audio cable:

1. Connect Universal dock to component A/V cable.
2. Connect A/V cable to component in on the Sammy Tube.
3. Mount iPod in the dock.
4. While mounted, start the iPod app and play an mp3. (TV should still say "no signal")
5. While ipod continues to play in the background --> close out of the iPod app and .open the camera app.
6. Navigate to one of the camera's galleries (you'll need some photos on there) and start the slide show feature playing.

The slide show starts and successfully sends a video signal up the video portion of your cable and the TV recognizes this just fine. Now here the key part:

8. Press pause on the slide show once it's starts or else it will cycle through your photos and stop --> thus terminating the video signal --> thus audio goes away.

Better load some art photos on the pod because you'll be staring at pretty big photo while your music plays.

Not perfect, but not a train wreck. In the meantime, Samsung, great TV, but add some auxiliary audio inputs on this thing. Thanks.

Collapse -
by Dan Filice / December 19, 2009 3:19 PM PST

When you use the Mini-to-RCA cable to connect your iPod to the TV, are you connecting it directly to the iPod or are you using the Dock? If using the Dock, try connecting the iPod without it and plug the Mini into the headphone jack and the RCA's into the TV. I think you did it this way from reading your last post, but I wasn't sure. If it still won't work connecting it directly, then something is not right. I connect my iPod Touch all the time to my two Sony's and my Toshiba and I get audio with no problem. It's hard to belived that the Samsung won't pass audio without video. The are using completely different paths and are not involved with each other. And just to make sure, you are playing music from your Playlists in the Touch?

Collapse -
iPod to TV
by mgbinetti / December 20, 2009 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: Question...

Yeah it was a direct connect from iPod to TV. Amazing I know. But to the best of my knowledge this is the case. Doesn't matter if it's an ipod -- any audio source not accompanied by a video signal is ignored by the TV.

I've never owned a TV that doesn't play any normal A/V signal you send it. Must be some new digital recognition firmware. This "smart" device feature needs to be updated to also look for audio signals.

My fix is also far from ideal: I can't see the songs playing, I can't leave the slide show to do other things while playing and many music apps (like LastFM) turn off when you leave the app.

Collapse -
USE the iPod slide show feature!
by djembeman / February 27, 2010 2:12 AM PST

1. On your iPod go to Photos, select a photo, hit the play button. It should bring to to a TV out screen and there you go. Your photos will play like a slide show.

2. If music doesn't play:
You just have to go to Photo settings, music, pick the music you want to play.

3. Execute step 1.

I really like this as a solution.

......Or just plug it directly to your sound system.

Collapse -
Identical situation - wow
by dmpace / October 25, 2010 11:51 AM PDT

Your situation (Airport Express wanting to use with an input to a new Samsung LCD) is exactly what I am faced with as well. And, just as you, I can't believe that they have tied the audio and video signals together so you have no option to just listen to the audio input. The TV is fantastic in many respects, and serves as the director of all the inputs to my (rather input-limited) receiver, so this limitation is both surprising and quite disappointing.

I would be most appreciative if anyone has figured a workaround. I have tried just connecting various cables to different inputs, but the TV is "smart" enough to recognize there is no video fed and therefore refuses to play the audio. The feature makes enough sense - I can see where it has its place. I just am surprised that such a feature-rich television has no ability to turn this OFF to regain functionality which would be present on any cheaper unit.

Collapse -
relatively simple fix
by bpeled / August 26, 2010 6:02 AM PDT

From all I can tell, the iPod won't work. One (relatively) simple fix I've found is a flash drive. They're fairly cheap. It's smaller capacity, but it should do you. Just go into iTunes and convert the files you went to mp3, then put them on the flash, connect the flash to the TV. The Samsung media reads the mp3 files like a charm -- plays them nicely, too.

Collapse -
Another workaround
by ponchosborn / November 17, 2010 9:53 AM PST

I have the Samsung 6 series 630 40 inch tv... same problem- it is a great tv, but this is kinda lame.

my solution: (similar to fix above)
I hooked up my old 30 GB ipod headphone jack directly to the AV cables using a 3.5mm -> av cable. To get video, I have my PS2 turned on (without cd) and hooked up with video only and the screen has the 'setup display' so I don't have to look at any specific photo- it works as a screensaver. I can also plug in my ipod to the PS2 to charge it simultaneously with USB.

When I want to listen to XM radio, I'll move headphone from ipod to XM instead.

When I want to play PS2 (less frequently than audio), I just replug the audio in... or listen to my ipod while playing.

This is a downside to this tv along with the restrictions on PIP. PIP can only be antenna or coax and there is no way to swap pictures, but you can swap audio. to beat this, I am currently looking for a way to get PS2 HDMI cable (doubt it exists).

Collapse -
Playing ipod Through Samsung
by spokes20 / March 16, 2011 3:35 PM PDT

I have exactly the same problem. Did you ever find out how to fix? If so can you advise. Samsung 650 have been of little help.

Collapse -
Post your question in the Samsung forum
by Dan Filice / March 16, 2011 5:17 PM PDT

I would be very interested in what answer you get from the Samsung experts. I have four different HDTVs and all can play audio from my iPod. This issue with Sammys is very weird.

Collapse -
Samsung and Ipod
by spokes20 / March 17, 2011 6:02 AM PDT

Their advice so far has been tu upgrade the firmware. That in itself is proving tortuous and I have not yet got that working.

Collapse -
I had the same problem today and this is what I had to do...
by lawrengw / December 22, 2011 3:18 AM PST

I was trying to connect an iPhone 4 to a Samsung PS43D450A2 TV via an Apple Universal Dock and Apple Composite AV cable. These are the steps I had to take to solve the problem of playing my iPhone's music through the TV speakers...

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.