Samsung forum

General discussion

Trouble connecting my smart TV to the Internet.

by IronEddieHunter / January 25, 2013 10:22 PM PST

I have a Samsung series 5 smart TV & I'm trying to connect it to the Internet by using a router connected to the Ethernet port of the TV & it's set in client mode & is linked wirelessly to my root router.

The client router I have configured to client mode & it works fine, I've tested it by connecting my PC with it & it's able to give my PC Internet access.

So knowing that the client router works I can only assume the problem lies with the TV itself, either I'm setting it up wrong or its faulty in some respect.

When go to set up a wired connection the TV recognises that I've plugged something into its Ethernet port. The auto detect network settings never seems to find the right settings. So with manual set up I've put in the following:

IP address - 192.168.0.254 (the ip of the client router)
Sub net - 255.255.255.0 ( the subnet of my network)
Default gateway 192.168.0.1 (the LAN side ip for the root router)
DNS 194.168.4.100 (taken from ipconfig/all on my PC & checked against the settings screen on the root router)

These settings don't grant me access to the Internet through the TV but I think they should be correct.

My root router has assigned a static ip to the client router so that won't change. I wifi signal should be strong unless its getting interference from the TV. The client router gets power via a micro USB port. So I'm using one of the TVs USB ports to provide the power. Could that cause an issue? I could power the router with a supplied plug for a mains socket.

Any help /thoughts grately appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trouble connecting my smart TV to the Internet.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trouble connecting my smart TV to the Internet.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The IP looks wrong.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2013 2:16 AM PST

The IP of the device must be unique on the LAN.

Also, what is this client router? We've seen TVs that don't work except on a simple LAN. That is...
Internet -> Router -> Devices.

As to the DNS, try the google ones too. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Bob

Collapse -
IP
by IronEddieHunter / January 26, 2013 6:21 AM PST
In reply to: The IP looks wrong.

I don't see why the IP is wrong. All IPs are unique on the network.

The TV can accept a wifi card or have an Ethernet cable plugged directly into the back of the TV. The run between the TV & the root router is to great. So the TV is plugged Into a router so named client router to distinguish it from the root router that connects to the WAN & servers the other devices in my house. The router connected to the TV is plugged into the Ethernet port on the TV & this router acts as a bridge to the root router. I've read this should work the TV should essentially think its just connected by a cable. It's a cheaper option to buying the proprietary wifi card for the TV.

Collapse -
(the ip of the client router)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2013 6:24 AM PST
In reply to: IP

" (the ip of the client router) " sounds wrong. If I was using a WiFi client, it has an IP and our Ethernet has its own. Setting it as you said sounds incorrect.
Bob

Collapse -
PS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2013 6:28 AM PST

I forgot to ask "Why not DHCP the whole thing?"

Once in a while you find an old school IT staffer that wants to do this manually. So why not? but the IP is suspect.
Bob

Collapse -
IP
by IronEddieHunter / January 26, 2013 5:24 PM PST
In reply to: PS.

According to the info that came with the client router to use it as a wifi bridge DHCP has to be turned off & it has to have a static IP assigned. Given that the TV can't correctly auto detect the correct settings anyway I doubt it would cope with a changing IP address served via DHCP.

Collapse -
Good luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2013 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: IP

We're this many posts and details are too slim. I think you'll have to get a network tech in there since we can't get past a basic item. As to DHCP, you only use one and it appears you want to control all the IP's manually so with this I must bow out. I see an issue and gave it a go.

More ideas are over in a post I create for Samsung devices in the CNET Networking Forum but here, we can't get past square one. In such cases I've learned to send out a tech.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Trouble connecting my smart TV to the Internet.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 28, 2013 7:27 AM PST

Hi IronEddieHunter,

I commend you for the details you've shared thus far, and it seems like you've got quite the setup here. So let's see if I understand this situation correctly:

You have a Samsung Series 5 (COMPLETE model code please!) connected to one router that's connected to another router which is connected to a modem which is connected to your ISP. Thus,

TV > Client Router > Root Router > Modem > ISP

The IP addresses you've provided are as follows:

192.168.x.x (TV) > 192.168.0.254 (Client Router) > 192.168.0.1 (Root Router) > Modem > ISP

Do I understand you correctly thus far?

HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.