Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Trojan.peacomm manual remove?

by dromel / January 22, 2007 12:56 AM PST

Norton Internet Security claims that I might have Trojan.peacomm on my PC. Their solution is to renew their anti virus subscription, which I don't want to do at this time, so I am looking for a manual removal tool or procedure.
I am running SpyBot Tea Time and there was no warning of an attempted registry change.
Is Symantec just crying wolf?
Is there an easy manual removal or procedure.
I am sure that by now there are hundreds of people with the same questions.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trojan.peacomm manual remove?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trojan.peacomm manual remove?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
me 2
by twink_69 / January 22, 2007 1:01 AM PST

yeh i have the same problem and havent got a clue what to do about it..anyone know anything please help.

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 22, 2007 1:02 AM PST

Trojan.Peacomm is a Trojan horse that drops a driver program file to download additional security threats.

Trojan.Peacomm reportedly arrives as an attachment to a spammed email with the following characteristics:

I would suggest:

Please run the Housecall online virus scan located at:
Follow the prompts to scan your hard drive for viruses. Select the "Autoclean" option so that Housecall will remove any viruses from your system.
When the scan is finished, please restart your computer.

Did Housecall find anything?

Collapse -
by twink_69 / January 22, 2007 2:11 AM PST
In reply to: Trojan.Peacomm

iv clicked on the link but the link wont load into the scanning computer part! any suggestions?

Collapse -
Which link? - the Housecall link?
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 22, 2007 4:10 AM PST
In reply to: help!!!!
Collapse -
trojan.peacomm, a Norton scam??
by dromel / January 22, 2007 3:52 AM PST

Thank you Marianna,

It took me awhile to run House Call. Today, as in the past, House Call would go into an infinite loop while trying to download the scan kernels.

Fortunately, today I had a few extra brain cells and remembered that I run IE6 WITHOUT administrative rights (Drop My Rights). I also remembered to purge my restore points before reboot.
House Call found and cleaned the following:

It did NOT find TROJAN.PEACOMM. Upon further investigation, Norton AV will admit that "you do not have .....at this time, but should renew your virus subscription immediately!".

I wonder if this might have something to do with the fact that Symantec stock dropped 17% in one day last week due to sharply lower revenues and earnings?

Naw, I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

Thank you,

Collapse -
Hi dromel
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 22, 2007 4:18 AM PST
Collapse -
by twink_69 / January 22, 2007 8:53 PM PST
In reply to: Hi dromel

well ive fixed it tryed to protect myself this morning from norton and it worked not sure why it wuldnt work yesterday thanks everyone for all ur help..

Collapse -
(NT) You Are Welcome - Thanks for posting back :)
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 23, 2007 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: done
Collapse -
Re:trojan.peacomm, a Norton scam??
by div_ / January 25, 2007 1:49 AM PST

dunno if it is a coincidence...
norton sais that i have trojan.peacomm to but its the only av that can find it and there are no wincom32 files on my computer nor on my regs... :/

Collapse -
Seems to me, you are NOT alone......
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 25, 2007 2:04 AM PST
Collapse -
I also had that problem
by jsmith241 / January 24, 2007 1:06 PM PST
Collapse -
by twink_69 / January 25, 2007 6:27 AM PST

thanks for the last post i downloaded the programs and im running them both now seems like i have a few more virus and cookies than i thought avg and norton didnt pick them up...so just wanted to say thanks...x

Collapse -
by Paulodalmeida / January 27, 2007 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

Thank you all for the tips. My norton claimed about this trojan just today and so far no antivirus program have found it in my computer.

I decided to uninstall norton, for it's too havy and old... I'm going to use some free access internet anti-virus protection instead of norton.

Thank you all.
Paulo - S

Collapse -
Hello S
by glenn30 / January 27, 2007 1:01 AM PST
In reply to: Trojan.peacomm

I like your plans... there are good free ones out there. I have been using AVG Free for many years without problems or incidents. There are others probably just as good.

All the best!

Collapse -
Hi Glenn
by Paulodalmeida / January 27, 2007 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: Hello S

I happened to have installed a 30 day trial version of AVG. Is it a good software? Can I reinstall it after the 30 day trial period?

Collapse -
Oh yes! It's good software...
by glenn30 / January 27, 2007 2:37 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Glenn

No problem... but not free after 30 days. You can download the free version from here: http://www.free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-anti-virus-free

If you prefer the Free version, first download and save to disk. Then uninstall the 30-day trial version... do a cleanup of any remaining folders or files that was not removed in the uninstall process. Next install the downloaded Free version. Wink

Hope this helps!

Collapse -
by Paulodalmeida / January 27, 2007 2:53 AM PST

I'll try and let you know if it worked.

Collapse -
Great! Let me know how it goes...
by glenn30 / January 27, 2007 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Don't forget to update the virus database after the install.

Collapse -
AVG Free
by Paulodalmeida / January 27, 2007 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

I also installed a spyware doctor, but it seems that the software just finds the suspicious files, but in order to delet them one have to buy the complete version... lol

Collapse -
You Can Still Clean Manually
by Bugbatter / January 27, 2007 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: AVG Free

Regarding SpywareDoctor (assuming that is what you used) the free version of some programs may only find problems and not clean them unless you purchase the software. However, as long as it shows you where those bad files are, you can delete them manually (preferably in Safemode).

Collapse -
Good idea
by Paulodalmeida / January 27, 2007 3:39 AM PST

Thanks for the idea.

Collapse -
This is a whole other subject ;)
by glenn30 / January 27, 2007 3:49 AM PST
In reply to: AVG Free

If Spyware Doctor finds but will not remove... then beware as it may be a sales gimmick. My suggestion is to try another software to be sure it is not a false positive. There are several which come to mind such as AVG Anti-Spyware (formerly Ewido)along with A-Squared... both are free. These should remove any malware found. Google for download sites and always choose downloads from the author's website whenever possible.

Just thoughts!

Collapse -
"Gimmick" Not Always Bad
by Bugbatter / January 28, 2007 10:34 PM PST
"Spyware Doctor finds but will not remove... then beware as it may be a sales gimmick"
It is a marketing technique, just as offering trial software for a limited time is. The vendors are businesses. When I have used Kaspersky's online scan, that was the same situation. It did not remove, but produced a report. Panda's online scan removes viruses, but will not remove adware/spyware. Using such a technique is not always bad so that a user must "beware". Spyware Doctor is a legitimate program.
Checking this list is always a good idea so a user can be aware: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
Collapse -
Sales/Marketing strategy of SpywareDoctor
by Paulodalmeida / January 28, 2007 10:50 PM PST

The complete version of the program may be good and work properly, but their marketing strategy is at least of bad faith.
This free version of the software "founded" 863 malwares in my computer, but it did not show where they were so I could remove them manually.

Collapse -
(NT) Did you try "Search"?
by Bugbatter / January 29, 2007 12:08 AM PST
Collapse -
trojan.peacomm removal
by Michtorna / January 30, 2007 10:38 PM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.