Computer Help forum

General discussion

Trojan and Google Redirect

by chi-townhawks / August 22, 2010 10:29 AM PDT

I have two problems.

1. I'm running Windows XP, and have AVG 9.0. Daily scans show that I have the following: "Trojan Horse Adload-r.AKC. I've tried eliminiating it by disenabling TDSSServ.Sys" but I can't find it in the Device Mgr\Plugins. Also, I've run all kinds of cleaners and virus programs with no results. Help.

2. I am having Google redirect issues. What do I do?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trojan and Google Redirect
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trojan and Google Redirect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We Start By Doing This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 23, 2010 1:58 AM PDT

It would help us if we knew exactly where the trojan is being found.. Where is the infected file?

First, make sure to clean out all your Temporary Internet Files and Cookies (in all browsers), then clean out the "Temp" folders on your computer.. (If using XP, eliminate all files from the "C:\Documents and Settings\Yourusername\Local Settings\Temp" and C:\Windows\Temp folders. If you use another browser besides Internet Explorer, be sure to clean those temporary files as well.

Next, download, install, update, then run full system scans with both free malware removal tools below:

Malwarebytes Antimalware

Hitman Pro 3.5

Next, download TDSSKiller and follow guide to use the tool:
http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

And when you're done, check your LAN settings in Internet Explorer like this:

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet Options-Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click OK. Then OK, again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by emforeit / August 23, 2010 11:39 PM PDT

the files that Avg says that are infected are. (forgive me if there are any errors, I have to type this out. hopefully you understand.)

c:\\windows\system32\wuauclt.exe(288):\memory_001b0000
c:\\windows\system32\wuauclt.exe(288)
c:\\windows\system32\svchost.exe(1388):\memory_001a0000
c:\\windows\system32\svchost.exe(1388)
c:\\winddows\explorer.exe{548}:\memory_001a0000
c:\\winddows\explorer.exe{548}
C:\program files\mozilla foxfire\foxfire.exe (2808):\memory_001a0000
C:\program files\mozilla foxfire\foxfire.exe (2808)
c:\documents and settings\owner\local settings\Application data\google\chrome\application\chrome.exe\(3540):\memory_00260000
c:\documents and settings\owner\local settings\Application data\google\chrome\application\chrome.exe\(3540)
c:\documents and settings\owner\local settings\Application data\google\chrome\application\chrome.exe\(3244):\memory_00270000
c:\documents and settings\owner\local settings\Application data\google\chrome\application\chrome.exe\(3244)
c:\documents and settings\owner\local settings\Application data\google\chrome\application\chrome.exe\(1416):\memory_00270000
c:\documents and settings\owner\local settings\Application data\google\chrome\application\chrome.exe\(1416)

I am hoping you can help, this is really frustrating.

Collapse -
And You've Performed The Same Steps I Suggested?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 24, 2010 12:00 AM PDT

If those particular file are indeed infected, then try uninstalling Firefox and Google Chrome AFTER running the tools I suggested in my previous post. Run the other tools, then run an AVG scan again to see if those same items remain infected.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
This really works
by witchrunner / August 24, 2010 2:51 AM PDT

I've just followed your steps. The hitman program worked! AVG had just detected the virus this morning and showed the files to be inaccessible. I've had problems with redircting and popups (including registrydefender, which shrinks firefox). So far so good. For the last two months I had major problems doing searches as almost everything was being redirected. Now it seems to be back to normal.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Eureka!
by chi-townhawks / August 24, 2010 4:29 AM PDT

I used Hitman Pro and it worked. It identified and eliminated the threats. Thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) Good Job & Glad We Could Help !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 24, 2010 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Eureka!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.