Speakeasy

General discussion

Trivia

by James Denison / January 21, 2013 2:23 AM PST

how many times has obama taken the oath of office for Presidency?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trivia
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trivia
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't know the answer but some think
by Steven Haninger / January 21, 2013 2:51 AM PST
In reply to: Trivia

too many. Devil

Collapse -
you win!
by James Denison / January 21, 2013 10:50 AM PST

best answer I've heard. Wink

Collapse -
4 times I believe
by itsdigger / January 21, 2013 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: Trivia

twice when he first was first sworn in because the first time there was some mistakes in when the oath was read and twice this time , one private and one public

Collapse -
(NT) Even one was too many
by TONI H / January 21, 2013 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: 4 times I believe
Collapse -
twice this time because a law without foresight
by Roger NC / January 21, 2013 6:47 AM PST

specified a date he had to take the oath, rather than a reference like third Monday, or third Tueseday etc, in Jan.

And they have to have a public ceremony to please the crowds.

Collapse -
And his ego just wouldn't allow
by TONI H / January 21, 2013 7:46 AM PST

him to have his party and parade on the legal date of oath or a couple of days later......not with MLK day the next day and 'never let a good crisis go to waste' (or in this case a good opportunity to milk it for all it's worth and take over the holiday)

Collapse -
(NT) come on, any politician would have done the same
by Roger NC / January 21, 2013 7:51 AM PST
Collapse -
It's become fairly standard
by James Denison / January 21, 2013 11:00 AM PST

to do it on the Monday following any sunday that Jan 20 happens on. Same with Reagan in Jan 1985. Both did privately on a Sunday, then publicly on a Monday. Another history trivia is March 4 used to be the correct date. I can only wonder at who and why made it happen in the middle of winter.

Collapse -
That is why it was so late after the election
by Diana Forum moderator / January 21, 2013 7:37 PM PST

Travel was more difficult back then.

Diana

Collapse -
makes sense
by James Denison / January 21, 2013 11:12 PM PST

More difficult to travel in cold weather too, but that also makes it harder on people attending an inauguration. I thought maybe they changed from March to get away from the winds that come through during that month.

Collapse -
Heard that might be why elections are on Tuesdays
by Steven Haninger / January 22, 2013 2:45 AM PST

Travel by horseback/carriage to the polling place could take a full day. Monday was for travel and Tuesday to vote and return. Makes sense enough to be believable.

Collapse -
Cmon, Toni, the president is required to take the oath on
by Ziks511 / January 22, 2013 1:14 AM PST

Jan. 20, and Roger explained why. And obviously your pal Ronnie Raygun never made a mistake, and he took it twice in one year as well, and for the same reason, that the 20th fell on a weekend.

The change from March to January relates to the change in the speed of travel as everybody is aware I`m sure. Why they don`t do it the first Monday after the election, I have no idea, except when a new President is elected and needs time to prepare. Always assuming they haven`t figured everything out in advance. Naming a cabinet and getting everyone to agree to serve is the problem I guess.

Why not move elections to September with inauguration in early November? That would mean that the President would start serving in the year he was elected, and kind of reduce the lame-duck impact.

Up here it`s done within a couple of weeks to a month, and always has been. Same in Britain France, Germany and all those other countries you look down on.

Rob

Collapse -
Did you listen to his
by TONI H / January 22, 2013 3:04 AM PST

inaugural speech? The almost first words were again "I won"........tell me his ego isn't bigger than life. He started his first term the same way when he had McCain confront him during the first meeting.

Collapse -
(NT) I would have said...Romney lost.
by JP Bill / January 22, 2013 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: Did you listen to his
Collapse -
He should have said...
by James Denison / January 22, 2013 8:40 AM PST
In reply to: Did you listen to his

...I wish I was Ronald Reagan. Wink

Collapse -
(NT) Reagan would be elected today
by Diana Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: He should have said...
Collapse -
I think you're right but only if
by Steven Haninger / January 28, 2013 6:49 AM PST

the majority of the same voters who elected him were still alive.

Collapse -
(NT) yes
by James Denison / January 21, 2013 10:51 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.