Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Trim video for email size

by abc3421 / October 21, 2012 3:23 AM PDT

Hi,

My Canon camera generates .mts HD video. I'm looking for software to trim small clips out into a seperate file (SD format) for email attachments. Need to keep file sizes down. Also, what SD format is best to convert my mts file?

Thanks...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trim video for email size
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trim video for email size
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tar pit area.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2012 3:37 AM PDT

As there is no known video encoding standard that you can count on to work in my computer are you sure you want to do this? Or are you new to video encoding and are surprised at this mess?
Bob

Collapse -
video triming & file converting
by abc3421 / October 21, 2012 1:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Tar pit area.

My problem is my videos of my grandson playing little league amount to over 7 GB per game. I would like
to trim out just his bat swings and his pitching motions. I would send these to his dad, my son, for evaluation in making him a better player. Also would let him see what he's doing good and what he needs to work on.

Also problems playing .mts files back on my laptop and non HD DVD players. My old Mini DV camera generated SD .avi files which were great. It is now dead and now have a Canon HFR300 HD. I tried converting to .avi with MyVideoConverter software but still playback issues.

Thanks for any suggestions....

Collapse -
At 7GB and many emails allow 2 MB
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2012 1:59 PM PDT

There is no know technology to retain that length and fit the video into an email.

Playback issues we can help at times by using VLC PLAYER. Did you try that?
Bob

Collapse -
small email attachments
by abc3421 / October 21, 2012 2:23 PM PDT

I just want to email the trims. Hopefully 2 MB or less. Sorry if I was misleading.

I will look into VLC PLAYER.

I produce DVD productions of the ball games using ROXIO. I produced DVDs of mts and converted avi
files but still playback issues on our DVD players. I downloaded free Sothink Movie DVD Maker but haven't
tried it. I use ROXIO Creator and like it's features. I don't mind paying for software if I know it will do what I've been using with the new formats.

Have I now got you confused?

...Harry

Collapse -
My typo. I meant "Known."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2012 2:28 PM PDT

OK to trim little clips we need video editing software. On my shelf is Sony HD video software and Corel VideoStudio X5. The problem is that you want some guarantee that it will work. Sorry but I can't offer that.

I will share that if some video does not come in I'll use HANDBRAKE to convert it (it's free) and the industry is in quite a mess in this area. I make no apologies for them.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.