Computer Help forum

General discussion

tried to recover my laptop now just keeps configuring system

by jcdavies / September 28, 2009 8:49 AM PDT

So I recently brought A toshiba Laptop, it didnt come with any CD but instead with a recovery disk creator which i did. I was playing around with my computer and ****** it around a bit so decided to use these disk to get the computer back to a good state. It all seemed to go well installed all 3 dvd.

however the computer now just keeps booting up going to a screen saying configuring system and then rebooting and then doing the same thing again and again. What should i do or do i just need to give it time?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: tried to recover my laptop now just keeps configuring system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: tried to recover my laptop now just keeps configuring system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
tried to recover my laptop now just keeps configuring system
by philarn2 / September 28, 2009 9:54 AM PDT

I would call Toshiba tech support.

Collapse -
i think it was just a time thing
by jcdavies / September 29, 2009 1:04 AM PDT

finally loaded up all working fine now

Collapse -
Doing same have a question
by loulou32571 / February 2, 2011 8:43 AM PST

how long did it take to config system. mine has been on this for about an hour all ready

Collapse -
(NT) mine is still configuring. it's been more than an hour
by aldm257 / February 18, 2011 11:10 AM PST
Collapse -
It is very normal for both Vista and 7 to do that.
by LucJPatenaude / February 18, 2011 1:40 PM PST

Every single month since Spring of 2007, one or two major updates and upgrades are downloaded + installed with your consensus to do so, everytime it happens. And, on these dates you will have to do a system restart.

So, just before you can sign-in with your profile's configuration and password, you will see the message that windows is upgrading its own configuration and, showing you the percentage of progress from doing just that. Then, the welcome screen shows up and then, your avatar and the request for you to enter your password.

Therefore, a new machine needs to skip a lot of these gradual updates/upgrades by installing the Service Packs first, in the case of a fresh install of Vista(6.0). For Win.7 and, for the newest buyers of PCs with their preloaded O.S., right now, have only the last 6 months of major updates/upgrades to put it to current stable use of it all. As of this mid-Spring of this year, the newest buyers of PCs will have, only, to download the Service Pack 1 for Win. 7(6.1.7600)+ install it, one reboot and only one reconfiguration of their machine. Who knows, maybe, it will bring this renewed O.S. to version 6.2.????. It is, somewhat planned, for Win. 8 to be version 6.3.xxxx or, up to version 6.5.xxxx at official retail release(possible burnt onto the newest PCs' HDD upon availability to any stores near you).

Happy upgrading, updating and, reconfiguring. For the next 2 months, at least.
Wink

Collapse -
Continuous Configuring System on WIN7 (64) Toshiba Laptop
by rcfitch / May 5, 2011 8:43 AM PDT

This laptop (Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5007) has had this problem for many weeks and has been sent in to factory repair twice and about to send back the third time out of warranty. Seems to start failing after WIN7 updates and withing 4 to 6 weeks after returned from factory repair. I have done a complete restore and Configuring system will last overnight. Have to restart, go into safe mode, reset all the passwords, go to CMD propmt and did a CHKDSK, found errors, let it fix them (CHKDSK /F), then restart, CMD prompt, CHKDSK (no errors), restart Win7, goes into Configuring System for 2 1/2 hours then boots up sometime with ADMIN password gone and sometimes OK. Very frustrating and I have seen other people on the web having the same problem.
When problem starts, you lose sound then USB then usability. Restore to prior only offers a 6 to 10 hour fix then reverts back to the mentioned problems.
<div>

<div>rcfitch
</div></div>

Collapse -
Continuous Configuring System on WIN7 (64) Toshiba Laptop #2
by rcfitch / May 5, 2011 11:33 PM PDT

I did get my Toshiba laptop running yesterday by stopping the long (6hrs+) Configuring screen by doing a restart, F8 to enter SAFE MODE with CMD prompt. I changed to the C: root directory (cd .. & cd ..) and typed in CHKDSK to test the Hard Drive. It found some errors and it recommended to run CHKDSK again with /F to fix the errors (CHKDSK /F). Did a restart to do the fix and waited for the Configure process then forced a restart. I again did another restart and rechecked the HD (CHKDSK) and found no errors this time. Reran another complete restore (holding the "0" button and power keys), chose restore to factory out of box power. Everything loaded and Configure System was much shorter and I have a working laptop again. Seems the HD was corrupted and fixing the errors in this case solved the problem. I made sure to create a Win 7 repair disk from the control panel plus the entire IMAGE using DVD disks to hopefully avoid this process if this happens again. Since there were no bad sectors detected on the HD and itis fully functional, I am very happy. How long will it last? What is causing the problem? I can't wait to find out! Toshiba is sending me a free shipping box to have it repaired again in a couple of days (even though out of warranty by 7 days) since it has been repaired twice in the last 4 months. Now I mus decide whether to send it in now that it is working.

Collapse -
Reset my toshiba qosmio F60 back to factory settings
by Babyyellow12 / November 29, 2013 10:03 PM PST

Hi I'm hoping someone can help.
I have reset my toshiba back to factory settings and for the past 2 hrs it keeps saying configuring system then nothing else??

Collapse -
Next up, restore media.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2013 10:23 PM PST

Often I find folk trying to restore due to some issue and they never fixed the cause. It can be as simple as no-maintenance (canned air discussion) to a failed drive.

But before we do that, instead of the onboard restore, try using restore media. Be sure NO USB devices are plugged in during restore.
Bob

Collapse -
just a thought about restore media
by itsdigger / November 30, 2013 12:10 AM PST

If the restore media was created while there were issues , would those same issues be on the created restore media and than re installed?.....Digger

Collapse -
Unsure. Just last month
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2013 12:14 AM PST

We had this laptop and it seemed like the HDD was dying. Rather than chance it I immediately did the usual canned air then created restore media. No errors so we moved forward to a fresh HDD and used the restore media. It worked out fine.

It's all of a 35 to 50 buck savings so you count your luck and carry on.
Bob

Collapse -
It's Crap
by Shneevels / February 11, 2014 5:15 AM PST

I own a Satellite. Reinstalling the OS on it takes hours...and hours. I've owned if for 1.5 years and have had nothing but problems with it. It's a piece of crap. Poorly engineered. I'm getting a better quality laptop and taking a baseball bat to this useless thing.

Collapse -
My baseball bat is Linux.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2014 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: It's Crap

I usually find Linux to be a joy to use on such gear.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.