Windows Legacy OS forum

tried to do some cleaning on my laptop and now it is not wor

by jenrod98 / December 23, 2012 10:09 AM PST

I have a dell inspiron mini and it has windows xp. I get on the internet using a alltel wireless plug in. I recently tried to do some cleaning to make computer faster and have evidently messed up something. Alltel wireless plug in wont work, cant get on internet at all. will not let me do a system restore, cant play games like solitaire because they are gone. i dont know what to do. please help. also called alltel and they thought the wireless plug in was bad, but it is not, because it works on my desktop. thanks for any help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: tried to do some cleaning on my laptop and now it is not wor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: tried to do some cleaning on my laptop and now it is not wor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
If you have a backup, restore, if not then
by wpgwpg / December 23, 2012 10:19 AM PST

restore to factory settings in accordance with your user guide. That's in all likelyhood on your hard drive in the Start menu under All Programs -> Dell. If not, you can go to Dell's web site, put in your service tag, and download it.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $70 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus todo backup free which you can download from . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Collapse -
by jenrod98 / December 23, 2012 10:34 AM PST

don't see dell under all programs.

cant connect to internet to download it.

Collapse -
Then call them
by wpgwpg / December 23, 2012 10:41 AM PST
In reply to: trouble

and ask them to send you the discs to restore to factory settings. If you can still get them, they'll probably charge you a small fee. If you can, back up any data you want to save prior to restoring.
The school of hard knocks is a good teacher, but it is a painful one. I hope you've learned the importance of backing up your computer.

Good luck.

Collapse -
by jenrod98 / December 23, 2012 10:46 AM PST
In reply to: Then call them

don't have a cd rom on this computer

Collapse -
You can buy a USB DVD/CD drive
by wpgwpg / December 23, 2012 11:09 AM PST
In reply to: trouble

for around $30. You just plug it into a USB slot and bingo, you have a DVD/CD drive.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.