iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Traveling with an iPad instead of a laptop

by christina_call / May 23, 2013 7:48 AM PDT

I have recently been given an ipad as a gift. Version 6.1.3, 64G storage from what I can tell. I am about spend 3 months traveling and doing research in the Amazon and I'm thinking about using my ipad instead of taking my much heavier and bulkier laptop. I know there are some limitations but as long as I can access external storage, I think I can cope with those. I'll need to be able to access files from an mp3 recorder and from my camera, ideally on an external hard drive. I'll also be taking notes but I think the notes app will be fine for that initially. Goes without saying I won't be able to use the cloud, and internet access will be occasional. Any input?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Traveling with an iPad instead of a laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Traveling with an iPad instead of a laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I don't think.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 23, 2013 7:59 AM PDT

....that the iPad can plug via a cord to an external storage device, only wirelessly.

Collapse -
As mentioned, the iPad will not drive an external
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 23, 2013 8:18 AM PDT

hard drive, just not enough power in the USB channel.

However, it does have enough to power a large capacity Flash Drive.

All you need it the camera attachment, available from the Apple Store, which connects to the bottom of your iPad and has a USB connector on it.
Make sure you have the right connector for your particular iPad. The new iPads have the Lightning connector, like the iPhone5, and not the wide connector that is on all the other older iDevices.

Just checked the Store and find that they only make the one adapter so, if you have the small lightning connector, both the camera kit: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit?fnode=3a There are two devices in the kit. One has a USB connector and the other has an SD card reader.
AND the
Lightning to 30 Pin adapter kit: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter?fnode=3a

Hope this helps

Collapse -
External hard drive vs. Flash drive
by christina_call / May 26, 2013 3:12 AM PDT

I liked this idea of using a flash drive to store files. I went over to the apple store the other day to see what they thought about the whole sitch and they pointed out that there's no way to access files stored on a flash drive, or to move those files back and forth.

However, they did some quick (very quick) research and came back very excited about the idea of using the Seagate wireless external harddrive for this purpose. Seagate has a free app that provides file access to its wireless server. I think I'm going to go invest the money and check it out, since my laptop might be on the fritz anyway. I'll let y'all know how it works. Thanks for all the input!

Collapse -
Not true
by Pepe7 / May 28, 2013 7:22 AM PDT

You most certainly *can* access <most> files on the flash drive, you just cannot *save* to that location, only to internal memory or to the cloud. This just proves that the Apple stores have just as many 'knowledge' issues <ahem> about using their own products as other shops (LOL).

Collapse -
If you can, backup more critical files twice
by Pepe7 / May 24, 2013 1:41 AM PDT

My experience supporting researchers working 'off the grid' per se leads me to always create redundant backups, especially when travelling/staying in more rustic settings. I suggest also placing more critical files on a simple flash drive too, since they are much less susceptible to breakdown, unlike externals. Redundancy is king.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.