Samsung forum

General discussion

Transporting my new Samsung Plasma TV on it's back?

by nacho1162 / June 3, 2009 6:44 PM PDT

Just bought a new Samsung PN63B590 at my local video store last night but I need to borrow my buddies truck to get it home. The problem is in order to transport it standing up we will need to remove his camper shell. However, the sales person said it's perfectly safe to transport a plasma TV flat on its back (screen side up) as long as you let it sit vertcally for a minimum of 24 hours before you turn it on. Any thoughts on this? I Googled this question and got various answers. Help me out Mr. Samsung.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transporting my new Samsung Plasma TV on it's back?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transporting my new Samsung Plasma TV on it's back?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This isn't
by samkh / June 4, 2009 2:27 AM PDT

a reply about Samsung but for big screen plasmas (maybe LCDs too) in general. The answer is DON'T do it!

The glass panel is extremely thin, fragile and flexible. Laying it horizontally even on a short trip will stress the glass and its connectors to the electronic components. You may not immediately have a problem and you may be lucky enough to never encounter one, but do you want to risk it? If you're unlucky enough, a failure will occur after warranty expires and then you'll be shopping for a new set if the problem is with the panel (don't even ask how much a replacement panel costs out-of-warranty).

Collapse -
Not Advised!
by WildClay / June 4, 2009 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: This isn't

I have another brand so will not mention the name given this is Samsung's forum, but they said the same thing and were pretty strong on it.

The funny thing I only double checked with the maker because the reason the box-store salesperson gave me was too stupid to even repeat.

He turned out to be right about it being bad, but for all the wrong reasons, I was given the reasons in the prior reply, stressing connectors, and the glass breaking, even on a short trip.

Personally I still question it a little since they have to ship these things all over the world and it's hard for me to believe that in every point of transport the folks ensure that they are always standing up, but with a few grand on the line I decided to go with their advice...

Collapse -
Transporting my new Samsung Plasma TV on it's back?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 5, 2009 5:49 PM PDT

nacho1162,

In accordance to the manual, and manufacturing and strict shipping policies, the panel should never be tipped more than 15 degrees. That said, the reality is that sometimes they are.

The panel was never designed to hold the weight of the electronics, and vica verca. At no time - technically, and to directly answer your question - should the panel be on its side. If it is, does that mean it's "automatically broken"? No, it doesn't. But it can significantly increase the risk of breaking in that position.

To answer the other question about manufacturing, the panels are kept upright from the plant, straight into boxes, and loaded on pallats upright. Shipping and distribution are aware that plasmas should always be upright, and outside of the rare careless warehouse person that might lay one down, I would be content in saying that they do remain upright as intended.

That said, people do it, and in most cases based on reports I've seen in the forum, it turns out okay, and in some cases, the unit is damaged. I did a quick Google search also, and was shocked that I found a salesperson actually suggesting that "it doesn't matter". I don't expect the average consumer to know this, but I do expect salespeople to know that it does matter.

The salesperson's pitch about standing it upright for 24 hours doesn't make sense. That's like shaking a lightbulb so hard that the filament breaks, and then saying that laying it a certain way will make it all better. I'm curious to what logic led that salesperson to draw that conclusion, but it's unfounded.

I both marvel and cringe when I see people load plasma panels in trunks. In those cases, not only is the panel on its side, but the plasma panel has additional pressure on one part of the glass where it sticks out against the top of the car's bumper. Whenever I see that, the only thing I can think of is, "If that driver hits a bump, that's a return. And if it's a Samsung, I hope they don't blame our manufacturing". The reality is probable that they arrive home okay and work fine. But I can't help it - based on the manual's recommendations, the box's "This Side Up" label, and what I know about plasmas, it's a risk.

If you get it mounted on the stand, or on the wall and it works, you're probably okay, and Samsung will cover it for a year (An additional 3 months if you register online). But if you have concerns, they are valid and I would recommend addressing those with the store management. Think ahead of time what would make you happiest - an exchange, an extended return policy, or even a discounted protection plan and discuss it to resolution.

Does that help?

Keep me posted!

--HDTech

Collapse -
I brought it home standing up.
by nacho1162 / June 6, 2009 12:02 AM PDT

Thank you for your informative and insightful response. Rest assured my new PN63B590 came home standing up tall and proud. The funny thing is the sales crew at the store where still insisting that it was perfectly safe to transport flat panel TVs lying flat and that I didn't need to waste time strapping it down. I told them after spending that much money on a new TV it was better to be safe than sorry. Besides, if I had brought the TV home lying flat in the back of the truck I never would have gotten the looks of awe, plus a few thumbs up from other guys as I drove down the freeway. Cant wait till Football season to begin! Go Chargers!

Collapse -
I brought it home standing up.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 6, 2009 5:40 PM PDT

nacho1162,

Well, I'm glad to hear that. Happy

Let us know if we can help further or answer any other questions.

--HDTech

Collapse -
laying lcd flat
by teejayh / June 8, 2009 5:18 AM PDT

My 52B750 was delivered by truck. It came out of the truck vertical but the delivery guy gently laid it on its back for the 100ft roll on the forktruck down the driveway for stability purposes. If I had known he was going to do that I would have went out and helped him carry it down vertically. Its not that heavy for two people. The TV worked fine out of the box but if I were the one moving it I would never lay it on it's back. The outside of the carton was not damaged at all and neither was any of the parts inside. Maybe I was lucky but from what I have read its not a good idea to lay it past 15 degrees straight vertical.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.