TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Transmitting 5.1 audio from LED TV to Yamaha Reciever

by pratikg316 / January 9, 2013 12:58 AM PST

Hi,

Recently I bought a 46" LED TV from Samsung (UA46EH6030R). The problem with this TV is that it does not have any digital audio output ports on it; it has two HDMI and 1 headphone jack. Now, I have a Yamaha receiver at my home which does not have any HDMI connectivity options but only has RCA and Digital (Optical/Coaxial) inputs.
I need to now connect my amplifier to my TV so that the receiver would be able to output audio from the TV. I have tried the 3.5 mm headphone jack to RCA option but that would only provide me with the stereo(2.1 channel) output; my concern is the 5.1 soundtrack from the movies on USB stick attached to TV.

Requesting u all to please help me with certain feasible solutions as I am badly stuck with this setup.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transmitting 5.1 audio from LED TV to Yamaha Reciever
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transmitting 5.1 audio from LED TV to Yamaha Reciever
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
How would you fix the HDCP issue?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2013 1:13 AM PST

Pass through is rarely more than stereo. You seem to have forgotten that issue but even if you had optical, for most content, all pass through is stereo. Widely discussed.

The cheap fix is some other box/device that has the optical out.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
As Bob said, you need different equipment
by Pepe7 / January 9, 2013 3:47 AM PST

Using a standard AV receiver & cable box makes things easier, or simply the cable box since you could split the output- HDMI to the HDTV, and digital optical to the receiver for 5.1. People who use the HDTV to do the tuning are left out of the surround sound party more often than not ;(.

What's on the USB stick is a different problem. 5.1 surround from the movies you've copied there isn't going to happen in most cases from the HDTV back out to another component. This is why small media streamer boxes are popular now (WDTV Live, Roku, etc.).

If you want more recommendations on what might work in your case, feel free to ask.

Collapse -
Audio Setup
by d2m13n / January 15, 2013 8:02 PM PST

Hi there..
I have a similar question but with different configuration.. hope somebody can advice.

I do have LG Smart TV LM6200-Series, which is already support HDMI (ARC).. But my Yamaha Receiver VX367 didn't have this feature. So at this moment, my configuration for the home theater setup is :

TV (Direct/USB Movie Play) --> Optical Cabel --> Yamaha AV Receiver..

Do you think this setup already optimal? or better use another HD Player to get better sound/picture quality? Mostly for the audio quality. If I bought the HD Player, the setup that I plan to go is :

HD Player --> HDMI --> Yamaha AV Receiver --> TV

Please advice.. thanks before..

Collapse -
The latter sounds better, but...
by Pepe7 / January 15, 2013 11:25 PM PST
In reply to: Audio Setup

...you always have to try it first to see if it will suffice. Playing back media files is almost always better suited for external media boxes vs using the USB port on the HDTV. It's an afterthought by most manufacturers, while simple streamers such as WDTV Live (etc.) can play nearly every file type. Food for thought anyway.

What I generally do not like (even w/ ARC) is sending content back out of the HDTV to the AV system. It's a last resort for me if I can do something else.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.