Computer Help forum

Transferring to new hard drive

by CamArt0405 / April 18, 2013 12:14 PM PDT

I recently broke my hp m6-1225dx notebook by spilling some water on it. I plan on buying a refurbished version of an earlier model (hp m6-1045dx) because it's cheaper. My plan is to swap the hard drive from the broken laptop into the refurbished one so I wont have to repurchase things like Word. The hard drive appears undamaged from the spill. My question is whether the hard drive is compatible with the older model (i cant find any difference between the two models other than one runs Windows 8 and the older Windows 7). Also if the hard drive is damaged from the water will it damage the refurbished laptop?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transferring to new hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transferring to new hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Might work
by Jimmy Greystone / April 18, 2013 12:23 PM PDT

Might work, might not, it's going to be kind of a suck it and see situation. It's entirely possible that Windows will blue screen when you try and boot it because of differences in hardware. It would also be a bit of a legal gray area even if it does work. OEM volume licenses are licensed specifically for the hardware that ships with the unit, nothing else. So even if you get past the Windows blue screen issue, don't be surprised if you then can't get it to activate.

On a purely technical standpoint, the odds are low that if the HDD from the waterlogged laptop is damaged it will do any harm to the new laptop. It's possible, depending on how it was damaged specifically, but I'd put the odds in the high 90th percentile that the worst that would happen is it just doesn't work if the drive is damaged.

I'd be prepared with some kind of contingency plan if things don't work out like you hope.

Collapse -
Very possible
by Willy / April 18, 2013 12:39 PM PDT

I suppose your replacement laptop will come with an OS installed, if so, make a "restore/recovery disc before anything else. However, if you remove that HD of that laptop, then it will later available. If all you really want is data from the old HD, then buying a ext. USB case and mounting it will do fine. If you actually plan to install and use "as is", it will error out even if both HPs. The OS itself will see too much difference as it wasn't installed as intended. You can re-use the HD, no thought(if not damaged). That's a side benefit of using an ext. USB case, that will certainly test it and show if any damage is present. Upon removing the HD, should make any obvious damage appear, so keep that in mind. if damage is noted, you're taking a risk to install in any other PC. If also you plan to use the win8 OS on the replacement laptop then consider it capable, it should be. look into any win8 drivers and such for that older laptop it may not be supported, so that's an issue to be addressed. All this can be seen at the support website to see what's available for that model#. As any HP s/w or OS, as long as it gets used on (1) one PC and from the brand, it may just work but that's an open question. OEM's buy in bulk as they address the OS legal issues as remaining with one PC use and their brand, so you have that covered but again, there is though easily resolved when you try it. Though t there is the chance you would have to re-install the new win8 on the older laptop. There clear as mud.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
A lot depends on compatible drivers
by glb613 / April 18, 2013 9:04 PM PDT

for the hardware installed. Check the HP website and download what you need. You don't have to re-buy Word or other programs as long as you have the product key numbers.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.