Samsung forum

Transferring Pictures from Galaxy Ace to pc

by ibroxman / January 18, 2013 4:37 AM PST

I plugged in the usb cable from my phone ,which was switched on, to pc and could not access it. All it did was charge up. I then took out the micro sd card and tried that in my card reader but whilst all the files showed up there were no picture files.
My Pc is a Home Build approx 10-12 years ago running Windows XP (SP3) with ALL updates installed. It has a Chaintech 7VJL Deluxe motherboard with an Amd Athlon 2500+ and 2Gb memory.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transferring Pictures from Galaxy Ace to pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transferring Pictures from Galaxy Ace to pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
That's pretty common.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2013 4:41 AM PST

Android is run on that so you could install ES FILE EXPLORER to find the pictures on the phone then copy them where you can get them from the SD CARD.

Since this is well discussed as well as any reference to Kies or other software I'll stop here.

Collapse -
Transferring Pics from Samsung Galaxy Ace
by ibroxman / January 19, 2013 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: That's pretty common.

Many thanks for your response however as I said in my post the pictures do not appear to be on the SD card but on the internal memory.
I dont know what ES FILE EXPLORER is or does but I assume that it is software of some type and is it to be installed on the phone?
I am off to Google this File explorer so I may just answer my own questions that way.
Sorry to be so uninformed but this is the first phone from Samsung that I have ever owned and I dont know anything about samsung products.
Thank you very much anyway

Collapse -
This is a common problem with Android phones.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2013 12:43 AM PST

Sorry but it's one of the areas I ponder too. Good to see you're off to do more research. I can't be specific for a simple reason that I don't have that model to provide a step by step.

Collapse -
Transferring Pics from Samsung Galaxy Ace
by ibroxman / January 20, 2013 4:20 AM PST

Dear Bob I have now downloaded and installed ES File Manager app on my phone and still cant see a file folder for pictures.
I think that this is because to access your pictures on a Galaxy Ace you need to click on the "Gallery App" which then shows your pics.
I have found out that I can send them Via e-mail and I am going to select the pictures that I need and e-mail them to an e-mail address that I ONLY use for family.
I will then Delete the ES File manager App from my phone.
I must say that I am EXTREMELY Dissappointed in the Samsung as my previous phone also had a micro sd card which contained my pictures and all I had to do was slip this into an adaptor and open in my card reader - SIMPLE.
Thanks anyway

Collapse -
Odd. Should be in the usual DCIM folder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2013 4:59 AM PST
Collapse -
ES File Manager
by ibroxman / January 21, 2013 4:26 AM PST

Dear Bob re your latest post I have checked out the DCIM folder and you are right in that the pictures are there okay.
That is me now another stage further on and hopefully I can figure out what to do to transfer them to my desktop. I am assuming that I will have to have the phone connected by USB to the desktop to do this but when I did this already all that happened was that I got a message saying that a Bulk storage device had been detected.
On checking My Computer the device does not show up and I am wondering if this is because Windows XP thinks it is a hard drive and needs to be added as such.
It all sounds too much of a fiddle just to get pics so I think that I will just stick to the e-mail option and not take any more pics with the phone.
And you are correct about Windows with no manual as Samsung does this as well and you have to go on line to find it - not really ideal for people new to Smart????Phones.
Thanks a bunch for the info

Collapse -
Getting closer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2013 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: ES File Manager

When we connect an android device or phone you can't be sure what will happen because the maker or owner can set it to be charge only, be a disk drive, or something else.

Here's an example of a discussion about setting an Android to be a disk drive ->

As you can see I didn't cover Sync or USB debugging mode. This is a very capable OS and I can see why folk skip it.

All Answers

Collapse -
samsung photos to laptop
by 0177blackburnrovers / August 26, 2013 4:19 AM PDT

hi you dont need any download discs all you have to do is conect your usb lead to your laptop and on the left side at the top of your samsung start in corner and drag it down you will then see usb connected press tat and a green man will appear at the bottom press the connect storage to pc press that and your man will turn orange or yellow go into ymy computer and you should see removeble disk f then you should get a file saying dcmi or dmci or new file press that and it should fetch a file saying photos and when you have got that when you plug your mobil in it will reconize your phone and just say do you want to down load photos and bobs your uncle;

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.