Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Transferring outlook express folders to another computer

by attul1 / March 30, 2006 11:55 PM PST

I want to move my outlook express folders to another computer.

The outlook express version i have is 6.00.2800.1123

It's running on a windows 98.

I did a search and found my .dbx files in C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities

I want to put these on my laptop which is running Windows XP. The version of outlook express on my laptop is 6.00.2900.2180

I did a search on my laptop for the .dbx files and they are on C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\Local Settings.

But when i use windows explorer to go in there and I looke in My Name there is no folder called local settings and i checked all folders in My Name and there are no .dbx files.

How do i transfer my mail so that i can see all my old email on the laptop?

I seem to remember a couple years ago that someone told me to do a mail backup on win98 to be able to get the files and that's the only other piece of the puzzle i know of.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transferring outlook express folders to another computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transferring outlook express folders to another computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: moving Outlook Express folders
by Kees Bakker / March 31, 2006 12:48 AM PST

Farm er,

You're definitely on the right path. The idea is to copy ALL dbx-files (including folder.dbx, that's the directory) from the current folder on the old computer to the new folder on the new computer.

The best way to find the appropiate folder on the XP-computer: use Windows Explorer to search for *.dbx or inbox.dbx, for that matter. These files will only appear after you run Outlook Express at least one time. That may be the problem with you. Or you look in the wrong folder after all.

This can easily be done. You'll succeed.

Kees

Collapse -
Sine you can locate
by TONI H / March 31, 2006 8:36 PM PST

the .dbx files on the W98 system easily, back them all up to either floppy disks (some of those files will be pretty large, such as the SentItems.dbx and the DeletedItems.dbx so if you want to eliminate them, it would probably be a good idea since who wants copies of everything you've ever deleted anyhow). Depending on how much mail you have, you might want to check the size of each .dbx file and determine how many can go onto one floppy disk. If they are very large files (like mine), you are better off to try to burn them all to a cd instead.

Once you have them backed up, take that floppy or cd to the new machine, create a new folder on the desktop called OLDMAIL, then insert the floppy or cd into the drive, open My Computer, click that disk open, and then click Edit, Select All, and right drag all of the files at once to the OLDMAIL folder on the deskop and choose COPY HERE when you let them go.

Now...open OE on the new machine, click File/Import/Messages/Mail and use the option of "import from other local Store Location" and browse to the OLDMAIL folder on the desktop (it's located at C:/Documents and Settings/YOU/Desktop as you click folders open in the browse window). Now click OK once the OLDMAIL folder is open, and OE will bring all the mail into the program immediately.

You won't be able to use the floppy disk or cd as the source....the .dbx files HAVE to be on the harddrive somewhere in order for this to happen.

TONI

Collapse -
Hidden files
by rloaderro / March 31, 2006 8:40 PM PST

I would enable to show all files & system files
then it should show up for you
I may be wrong as it is a very long time since i used W98
hope this helps
Kind Regards
hmtheping

Collapse -
You Don't have to use Outlook Created Folder
by Gatta / April 16, 2006 6:41 PM PDT

To avoid all these non-sense of finding where the Outlook
fellow is hiding, create a new folder, for example

D:\OutLook or

D:\OutLook-2006 or

D:\OutLook - Pamela Anderson or

any thing else what you like. Location can
be C , D or E drive (sorry can not use CD-RW disk)

Copy the OutLook Data folder's files from older
computer to a CD-RW / CD-R and then copy
to your new computer at a Temporary folder, e.g.

C:\Temp11

Start OutLook and from the Menu Bar >>>>

Change the OutLook Data folder
to Final Folder of your choice

After that try to locate the Import sub-application
and instruct the software to import the files to
new folder, i.e. D:\OutLook-2006 or so

After testing, can delete the c:\Temp11 and
other folder, which OutLook had created

To avoid virus infection, I recommend that you
keep OutLook data files on a physically seperate
HD.

Frankie

Collapse -
One thing to remember. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 17, 2006 9:50 PM PDT

After you have moved the files, you must delete the file:

folders.dbx

in the new PC. Reason being is that OE needs to add the new folders to its memory. Once you delete the folders.dbx folder, open OE and it will create a new folders.dbx and find the moved folders and add them to the list.

Collapse -
Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
by MikM / April 20, 2006 9:06 PM PDT

I would guess you might wish to transfer more than just the dbx files to your new computer - such as address books and message rules to name but a few.
Windows Xp has a wizard to do all this for you. It is called the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. This little beauty can be found under Start -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Files and Settings Wizard.
You should find this wizard will meet all your needs and then some.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) From one WinXP-based to another WinXP-based computer only.
by Cursorcowboy / April 21, 2006 9:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
From Windows 95 and up to XP even.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2006 12:00 AM PDT

"F.A.S.T. Supports...

1. All Windows versions from Windows 95 (with IE4) through Windows XP, though Windows XP is the only supported destination. It will migrate even if there is no upgrade allowed from the original system, e.g., from Win NT 4.0 to Win XP, or from XP Professional to XP Home Edition"
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.php

Collapse -
Mail made easy
by giantkiller / April 25, 2006 8:14 AM PDT

To make it easy, just export your address book and email to a folder called mail in my docs. They will be easily seem and copied over from there to the same folder created on laptop. Then import the files. Make sure the exports are windows csv files.

Collapse -
???
by WHATTODOIF / January 26, 2013 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: Mail made easy

You're talking something out of this world. There is no command to export or import EMAILS .dbx files in Outlook Express in Windows XP nor to convert them to .csv. Can someone post step-by-step on actual computer and not written on the sky? Thanks!

Collapse -
I'm going with no. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2013 6:53 AM PST
In reply to: ???

This post from 2006 is now 6+ years later. If no web page exists for this that you can use then the news is not good. There are less and less folk that have Windows 95/98 to kick around to create a step by step.

Please start a new discussion in say the CNET Computer Help Forum as this is quite an old discussion and my bet is that giantkiller is not going to answer.

I also see you writing Windows XP but you are in the Windows 95/98 Forum which is why I'm leaving this advice and closing this old discussion.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.