Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Transferring Music Files onto SD Memory Card

by arickl / October 24, 2006 2:14 PM PDT

I'm having trouble transferring music files onto my 2GB SD memory card. I'm successful loading the first 748MB of music files onto the card, everytime at this same point, I get an error message, ""Error Copying File or Folder",
"Cannot copy "song name": The directory or file cannot be created." I can delete a file and add a different file, but I can't get past the 748MB point. Its as if the card is full, which it obviously isn't. I've even tried a different 2GB SD card with the same result. I've even tried to do the transfer on my wife's laptop which uses MS XP with the same result. Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transferring Music Files onto SD Memory Card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transferring Music Files onto SD Memory Card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seems many forget about directory limits.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2006 10:05 PM PDT

Yes, that happens when you copy all files to the ROOT or top directory.

It's a limitation with no fix planned. I'd use a subdirectory.

Collapse -
You Nailed It!
by arickl / October 25, 2006 4:07 AM PDT

You were absolutely right! I created a sub-directory and all of the files were transferred, thank you so much!

Collapse -
by maddie-b / November 19, 2011 10:25 AM PST
In reply to: You Nailed It!

how do i create a sub-directory? im having troubles as well

Collapse -
(NT) Today folk would call this a FOLDER.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2011 10:40 AM PST
In reply to: help!
Collapse -
Hi Bob
by DeborahDonnelly / March 30, 2007 3:00 AM PDT

The same thing is happening to me. Trying to transfer music files onto memory card 1GB. I am fairly new to computers and don't know how to create this sub-directory. Can you help?

Collapse -
(NT) Try creating a folder to put the files in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2007 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Bob
Collapse -
You saved Christmas!
by dreamer94 / December 24, 2007 2:09 PM PST

I was preparing several digital picture frames as gifts and ran into the root directory limit problem and had been trying for hours to copy the files onto an SD card. Creating a subdirectory for the files solved the problem and allowed me to load the digital pictures frames.

Collapse -
Thank you for the new information.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2007 10:01 PM PST
In reply to: You saved Christmas!

I hadn't thought about this issue with those new photo frames.

Collapse -
this might be a really silly question, but...
by lisalucy / December 28, 2007 11:49 AM PST

I'll probably figure this out soon after I post this, but I'm really having trouble with my 2GB SD card and my Philips digital photo frame. The frame recognizes the pictures when they are loaded onto the SD card as individual files, but there is a limit to the number of individual files that can be in the root directory, as discussed above.

So, I assumed that to create a sub-directory, all I had to do was to create a folder on the SD card and keep the files in this folder. I did that, but when I put the SD card back into the frame, the photo frame doesn't read/recognize the folder. The folder does have 1.37GB of photos in it. Have I not successfully created a subdirectory? Is there another secret?

Collapse -
there's more...
by lisalucy / December 28, 2007 12:03 PM PST

I knew I should have waited to ask my question. I changed the folder type from "documents" to "pictures" under the properties tab on my computer and copied that folder to the SD card. And now the photo frame recognizes that there were pictures on the SD card. Was it really that simple?

Collapse -
it worked
by nvaroga / January 12, 2008 12:01 PM PST
In reply to: there's more...

it may seem trite, but thank you, thank you, for posting to this forum on this issue. i've been tearing my hair out trying to crack this memory card dilemma and this posting solved the issue perfectly.

Collapse -
downloading issues
by JAPrncss73 / November 6, 2008 10:09 AM PST

i dont know how to download music to my sd memory card for my cell phone/mp3 player. please help me!!!!

Collapse -
That depends.
by Kees Bakker / November 6, 2008 9:17 PM PST
In reply to: downloading issues

If your PC has a built-in memory card reader or you have a memory card reader that you can connect to a USB-slot, just put your memory card in it and use My Computer to transfer the files.
If you don't have such a device, see the manual of cell phone/mp3 player on how to do it. You might need additional software. Please tell make and model.

Collapse -
not registering
by JAPrncss73 / November 6, 2008 10:38 PM PST
In reply to: That depends.

the files are being transferred, but when i put the card back into my phone, it says that there are no mp3 files in my_music on card. what does that mean? i even changed the transferred files to mp3 format.

Collapse -
Re: no mp3 files
by Kees Bakker / November 6, 2008 10:49 PM PST
In reply to: not registering

Well, we can't see the card.
And we don't know if my_music is the folder they should be in.
And we don't know exactly what it "says".
And we can't see if you put them in there.
In fact, we don't even know what phone you have, because you still didn't tell it.

We even have to believe you "changed" the transferred files to mp3 format in the right way and gave them a valid name with the right extension. You didn't tell.

So all we can say is, that something is wrong.

Collapse -
make and model
by JAPrncss73 / November 7, 2008 5:37 AM PST

ive got a samsung sch-u520 phone and a 1gb sd card

Collapse -
Trouble with putting music from comp to sd memory card
by gp87 / December 22, 2008 6:48 AM PST
In reply to: make and model

I have a motorola moto w755 and I have a 2gb memory card for it for vcast, but the verizon guy said that I would be able to put music on there from my windows media player as long as i put it into a seperate folder. The windows media player recognizes the sd memory card to sync music onto it. I went to the sync bar, put all of the music I wanted to on it, then it synced for me. I opened the tad on the start menu that says "my computer" I clicked it, I found my memory card, clicked upon it, then there were folders that said "my_music", my_pics, my_sounds, then another folder that I had put all of the music into that said "my music" so I put the "my music" folder into the "my_music" folder thinking it wouldnt be that big of a deal. I then took out the memory card from my laptop and put it into my phone, it recognizes the card, but no music is found. If you could help please let me know, thanks!

Collapse -
Depends on what
by eliz6beth / February 8, 2009 12:17 AM PST

Hi Kees

I have a memory card reader but cannot find anything on it to take the the memory card (1 gb)as the card is too small . Is there an adapter I could buy for this and then would it work.

I am a complete novice at this so please show a bit of patience.

Samsung Mobile Phone J700

Collapse -
Re: memory card reader
by Kees Bakker / February 8, 2009 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: Depends on what

There are many types of memory cards, and not all devices would support all types. My advice: go to the shop with your card and ask for a reader that fits.

Collapse -
by eliz6beth / February 8, 2009 5:00 PM PST
In reply to: Re: memory card reader

Many thanks Kees

Collapse -
troubles putting music from Itunes onto my SD memory card
by andikay06 / February 15, 2009 11:11 AM PST

I try to put music files into the my_music folder on my 2 GB SD memory card. After I have done so, I put the card into my phone and the phone says "Error in playing the file". I've already reformatted the card several times and then put the music onto it and nothing changes. I don't know if I need certain software for it or if I need to download a certain driver? My phone is a Motorola Hint QA30

Collapse -
Pretty close.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2009 11:19 AM PST

What next?

Make sure the ENCODING is something the player can use.

I run across folk that download and don't know about this.

Collapse -
Just a link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2009 11:25 AM PST
Collapse -
16 GB SD Card
by nellea / January 27, 2010 12:28 AM PST

AWESOME Thanks R. Proffitt I thought someone had sold me a faulty SD card.

Collapse -
Glad it helped.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2010 12:52 AM PST
In reply to: 16 GB SD Card

This trivia seems to be applicable to many sizes and "things."

Collapse -
by efox12 / December 16, 2008 3:13 AM PST

I have been trying to figure out (for a week now) how to transfer all my pictures to a digital picture frame for a Christmas present. This thread helped me along! I put all my pictures in a folder, changed it to "pictures" under the customize tab under Properties and then transferred it to my SD card. And there they are! THANKS SO MUCH!! :o)

Collapse -
How do I DOWNLOAD MP3 Files onto a SP 2GB CARD? FROM PC ?
by plarailmike / January 9, 2010 6:46 PM PST

I am having great problems down loading from MUSIC on my PC!
I am able to down load so much successfully and then I get a fault window saying that it can not down load these files etc.
I always 'RIp' my CD's then Go to 'My Music' and click COPY to my REMOVABLE **** (E)at first it worked well,however, after a number of successful down loads on to my MP3 Card, I am tlod there is a problem!! Please can you help me.
Michael J. Thompson

Collapse -
How do I DOWNLOAD MP3 Files onto an SP 2GB CARD?
by otr_man / January 26, 2010 12:20 AM PST

How many files have you copied into the root (i.e. top) directory of the SD Card?

As explained above, there is a limit on the number of files which can be stored in the top level directory/folder (the limit varies from one Card to another, for technical reasons, but is typically an even number).

When that limit is reached, the only way to add further files to the Card is to create one or more sub-directories (a.k.a. sub-folders), and add the files in those sub-directories.

Consult the instructions which came with the Card to see if there is a special name that a sub-folder for storing mp3 files needs to have.

Collapse -
problems copying mp3 files to sd cards
by abettertimedj / September 17, 2010 7:23 AM PDT

I am soooo frustrated. I can put mp3 music files on cd at will, but when I try to load on an sd card I get 0

Collapse -
(NT) transfer music to auto hard-drive via mp3 sd card
by BisonAngel / October 27, 2010 5:27 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.