Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Transferring files from one computer to another

by hari_12 / April 17, 2007 8:08 PM PDT

Say,I have downloaded and installed a file from the internet,how can I be able to firstly,put these files on a CD,and secondly,transfer these files to another computer.The second computer is a stand alone.The more step by step details the better because I am new at computers and clueless.Would much appreciate any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transferring files from one computer to another
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transferring files from one computer to another
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: transferring files between computers.
by Kees Bakker / April 17, 2007 8:37 PM PDT

Burning files on a CD (CD-R or CD-RW) can be done either with a standard option that comes with Windows XP, or with the burning program that came with your CD-burner. Most people prefer to use the burning program. To burn to a DVD (several varieties: DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW) you need to use a burning program, because XP doesn't support it. If you tell more, we can give more detailed instructions.

Getting files off a burned CD can be done with Windows Explorer or My Computer on the target PC. I won't go into details, because I assume you know how to use Windows.

Alternatives to burning to a CD are:
- copying to a USB-stick (a 1 Gb one is some $ 40, and can contain larger files than a CD)
- copying to a external hard drive (a 200 Gb one - and that's a lot - is some $150-200)
- using a special USB-cable with copying software (check your local PC shop)
- using a Ethernet cable (less than $10) and configuring a basic home network using these 2 computers.
Just telling. None of these are necessarily better than burning to a CD, of course. But in some circumstances, it are good alternatives.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Downloaded And Installed A File....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 18, 2007 1:27 AM PDT

If you actually "installed" something from a downloaded file, then it must be a program installer. Is that correct? If that's the case, then depending on the size, you could use the information provided by Kees above to copy the file to a CD or USB memory stick.. ONce that's done, simply place the CD or memory stick in the standalone machine and run/install the program the same as you did on the first machine.

If the file is not a program installer file, then please let us know a little more about the type of file.

You also haven't let us know whether you've actually got a CD or DVD burner on the internet enabled computer.. Do you? If not, then the other options would be easiest.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
JUST............................
by Scrotes4Life / April 18, 2007 12:56 PM PDT

set up a Network and copy the file to the other PC.

Collapse -
Network A Standalone Computer?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 19, 2007 10:10 AM PDT

Remember, there was a standalone computer mentioned in the first post.. Depending on how far away the standalone computer is...and whether it has an ethernet card....and whether there is need to purchase a router....and other considerations, it might make the networking idea a little expensive or extensive to simply copy ONE FILE from one computer to another..

Still, your idea is a good one should more files and/or printers need to be shared.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Transferring files on a local network
by quotient / April 21, 2007 11:47 AM PDT

I set up a local network in order to enable me to use a common printer for two computers. I didn't know that I could transfer files from one computer to another over this network. How do I do this?

quotient

Collapse -
File and Transfer Wizard
by bowacl / April 21, 2007 1:00 PM PDT

I run the Network Setup Wizard in Control Panel on each computer I want to have on the network, it sets up printer and file sharing for one folder on each machine. The default Network name is MSHOME but you can change that name but the network name has to be the same name on each computer in order for them to share correctly. You can also set up a name for each computer so you can reconize it on the network. It is best to start with one computer on and the others off and add them one at a time.

Then you can move files between computers using the Shared Documents folder it sets up.

Hope this helps,
Northlite

Collapse -
Need to transfer files from a laptop to a desktop
by pds6138 / July 27, 2007 7:57 AM PDT

I have a Dell Dimension L400c that I have donated to a non-profit. We want to transfer all the files, e-mails and settings from the laptop (Dell Lattitude C600) to the Dell Dimension, but leave them on the laptop as well so it may be used in the field. How do we do this? I have both computer connected to the same network now. Thanks.

Collapse -
All files?
by John.Wilkinson / July 27, 2007 1:59 PM PDT

Is this limited to text documents, images, etc. or do you want to copy over programs, system files, and even Windows itself? I don't quite understand why you would want to copy your own e-mails and personal files to a computer that you are giving away either. Could you fill in a little background?

John

Collapse -
transferring files
by hari_12 / April 18, 2007 7:35 PM PDT

I haven't actually downloaded and installed the file yet but would want to know how to transfer this file beforehand.The internet enabled computer is Windows XP,has NTI CD AND DVD MAKER and has DVD R/RW drive.If the files installs on this computer wouldn't it install on the other one?Any step by step detail would be great.

Collapse -
Downloaded files
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 18, 2007 8:18 PM PDT
In reply to: transferring files

Hari if you are new to computers you perhaps need to understand about downloading and installing programs. There's a security aspect about this as well.

I assume you are using the internet browser called Internet Explorer, version 6 or 7, (IE6 or IE7). There are other browsers, and many will say, myself included, that using any other browser than IE is preferable because IE is the browser of choice for virus and spyware writers who want to infect your computer and steal your personal information. All browsers have security vulnerabilities, but because IE is so widely used, it is the one whose vulnerabilities are most often exploited. That being said, even with another browser, you will need protection like a firewall, an anti-virus program and one or two anti-spyware utilities,

All browsers allow you to download files, such as program files. But there are two options to downloading files. They are;

1] Download and open, or
2] Download and save.

Download and open does just that. It downloads the file and opens it immediately. This is dangerous because if it hides a virus the virus may get installed as well.

Download and save is the better option. If you download a program file and save it to a convenient location, (your Desktop is a good temporary location), that allows you to scan the file for viruses and spyware before opening it. An anti-virus program running in the background should pick up any viruses as the file downloads, but I prefer to double check.

Download and save is also a good idea because you can then store the downloaded installation file somewhere on your hard disk as a backup. I save all of my downloaded program installation files to a folder on my hard disk called "Downloads". Not very original, but it suits me. If ever the program you install fails, or gets corrupted, you can uninstall it and use the downloaded file again to retry installing it.

All browsers allow you to choose whether to Download and open, or to Download and save. The options will be held in the Tools > Options section.

In addition, it is using the Download and save option that allows you to transfer this installation file to another computer. How you do that depends on your setup.

You ask whether this downloaded file wouldn't install on the other computer. Not automatically, no. It has to transferred to the other computer and then "Opened" on that computer. That will then start the installation process.

Which method you use to copy the files across to the other computer depends what you have got to do it. Windows XP has an inbuilt utility for copying files to a CD, but I prefer to use other software. Your NTI CD AND DVD MAKER seems to be a new product and their support forums here seem to be sparsely used at the moment. If you have any documentation with the software, I would use that to step you through the process of burning these files to a CD.

I use Roxio's EASY CD Creator, and their step by step method is here. Most CD burning procedures will be similar.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Transfering filesfrom one computer to another
by Watbis / April 20, 2007 4:18 PM PDT

I use PC Linq a piece of software and a hardware connection via USB to both machines. This gives me access to both machines at all levels and file transfer is dead easy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.