Camcorders forum

General discussion

Transferring 8MM to DVD

by clas / October 2, 2004 1:41 AM PDT

We have an old analog Sony Handycam that uses the 8MM tapes. We would like to give it to our son and buy a new Sony DCR-DVD301. However, we won't have anyway of viewing the tapes if we give the camcorder away. Is there some way to transfer the 8MM tapes to DVD at home? Our computer is a new Gateway, Pentium 4, XP. Is there some way to use our computer, or do we need to buy some special equipment? Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transferring 8MM to DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transferring 8MM to DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Transferring 8MM to DVD
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2004 2:10 AM PDT
http://www.film-to-video.com/ covers almost all the angles.

There are now many boxed solutions to digitize and put analog video onto DVD. The costs have dropped with DVD recorders under 100 bucks and the digitizers being under 100 as well. The downside is that a better than average PC plus you need to set aside about 4 hours for each hour of video you want to digitize.

Bob
Collapse -
by clas / October 2, 2004 4:01 AM PDT

Thanks Mr. Proffitt. What software do I need? What is best? This computer does not have firewire capabilities. I suppose that's a major problem. All if have is USB ports.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2004 4:35 AM PDT

I think you wrote your 8MM video was analog. Before I start, be aware that I can't offer "best" since such zooms off into thousands of dollars and that is not what most want to expend.

Given that, here's what works for me. An ATI or Hauppauge PCI TV card for the analog capture. Then almost any DVD recorder that comes with DVD authoring software and can record both the PLUS and MINUS DVD media.

Such would run about 50 for the TV card and from 50 to 99 for an internal DVD recorder. I paid 45 dollars for a Teac 8X DVDRW drive, but I already have Ulead's DVD creator so I did the whole setup for under 99 bucks.

Again, maybe not the best but very good.

Bob

Collapse -
Ulead's DVD creator so I did the whole setup
by Tazmanian Devil / December 31, 2004 12:32 AM PST

you stated that you used "Ulead's DVD creator so I did the whole setup"
What set-up was that?

Is that the program used to do the transfer?

we have a dvd-rw on our laptop, I am assuming that we are going to need to have the proper cable in order to do the transfer as well, is that correct?

Collapse -
Taz.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2004 3:20 AM PST

It appears you jumped in the middle and as such missed out on the entire conversion.

Given so little about what you have, I can't offer much yet.

Feel free to make a new complete post about what you want to do.

Bob

Collapse -
by golf4less / October 8, 2004 5:56 AM PDT

I would get a DVD recorder from an electronic store, like Walmart, for under 200 bucks. Then burn the 8MM Video, through the composite jacks, to DVD-/+RW, or RAM (the disc won't be wasted if the video quality is not good). If the video quality is good, then burn them to DVD-/+W and save some bucks. If the video quality is not good, exchange an expensive one (usually it's better), and ditto, until the video quality is satisfied. After burned all the video, I would keep the DVD Recorder to record my favor TV program, like Sex and the City, Or donate it to Salvation Army for a tax-deduction.

If your DVD player is compatible to DVD-R, the alternative is to get the Sony 301 DVD-Cam first. Then connect the Analog-Cam to the DVD-Cam through the composite jacks. Burn the video to Mini DVD-R. This method would save you a lot of time and money.

Good Luck.

Collapse -
8mm to DVD
by wkorbe / December 27, 2004 7:03 AM PST

Have tried many methods. All take a TON of time (for a 2 hr 8mm tape plan an entire day).

Best bet is to use a Sony Digital 8 Handycam that changes 8mm to digial video (DV) format, works best over firewire (not USB) connectorthen use just aobut any editor/burner to convert to DVD format (MPEG2) that part can take many hours.

Without the Sony Digital 8, next best thing is to buy a converter like Plextor ConvertX and make sure you use the S-video input option if available. The hardware is good but the software provided (Win DVD) is fair at best (slow, buggy, quality loss) and I have yet to discover no other way to control the box.

In both cases above the biggest drawback is time required and some loss of video quality. Never discard the original 8mm tapes, I am sure in a few years there will be much better solutions available that produce better quality DVDs and are faster and easier to use to segment the videos on the DVD in much less time.

Would like to hear if anyone has a SUPERIOR solution to this process. I find the WinDVD software fair, the Sony Click to DVD software fair, and I hear but have not tried ULEAD may also be okay.

I have also tried the Roxio software to create DVDs from video files and I find it to be on the buggy side (crashes afters hours of lost work).

I also find you risk loosing lots of time if you go direct to DVD, its best to go to hard drive first and then to DVD after the files are stored, segmented, etc.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.