Computer Help forum

General discussion

Transfering everything from one computer to another.

by edrizzo / June 22, 2008 11:05 PM PDT

Very soon I will need to replace my Gateway e 2000 Series,Celeron 2.00 ghz processor, 60 Gig hard drive 512ram computer with Windows XP home. It has been a great machine with very little problems considering my lack of care. ( I have never cleaned the inside of the box) I bought it used 4 years ago for $200 complete with DVD and CD burner, monitor, keyboard, etc. Lately, for some reason, if I shut down the computer, it doesn't like to turn on. When I hit the power button it sounds like it starts to boot than just shuts off. It'll do this a couple of times up to numerous times. Lately I just hit the sleep button for fear that the day will come that it won't turn back on at all.

My concern is, when I get a new computer, how can I transfer everything on this machine to a new one. I am talking about everything right down to what is on my Favorites lists from IE7 to My Docs, Desktop, the whole 9 yards.

I am generally a technical idiot and have nothing backed up. I do a lot of online business and all my Internet Business is on this machine. If I lost it, I'm screwed!! Help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transfering everything from one computer to another.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transfering everything from one computer to another.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: transferring everything.
by Kees Bakker / June 22, 2008 11:17 PM PDT
Collapse -
And ...
by Kees Bakker / June 23, 2008 2:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Transferring everything
by tidymaze / June 27, 2008 2:36 PM PDT

The easiest way I have found to transfer files from one PC to another is AlohaBob's PC Relocator. You install the software on both your old PC and your new PC, connect the two via the included USB cable, and let 'er go. You can transfer everything, from all your documents to your browser bookmarks, or you can pick what you want to transfer. This is helpful especially if your new system has some of the same programs as your old system. If this is the case, you can transfer your settings and preferences rather than the entire program (which would create a redundancy). I have personally used this program several times, and can attest to the fact that it is extremely easy to use. It will take a while to transfer everything over, but so would backing everything up to an external hard drive.

Good luck with your new system!

Collapse -
I would use Acronis, plus you'd have the best back-up pgm. f
by TooSpooky / June 27, 2008 3:38 PM PDT

From: http://www.acronis.com/company/inpress/2006/06-16-ati.html

Mirror Backups
Backing up individual files or folders is good, but sometimes you want to go all out and back up your entire hard drive. In these situations you need drive-imaging software, such as Acronis True Image 9.0 Home ($49.99; www.acronis.com ) or Symantec's Norton Ghost 10.0 ($69.99; www.symantec.com ), with the ability to copy critical system files even when Windows is running, which is something typical backup software can't do.

Drive-imaging software is very handy when you want to do something such as upgrade your existing hard drive to a higher-capacity model. Normally, this type of project would require formatting the new drive, reinstalling Windows and all of your applications, and manually transferring all of your files to the new drive. Drive-imaging software lets you make an exact copy of the existing drive to the new drive, so you just need to install the new drive in the old drive's place, and everything boots up as normal. In addition, drive-imaging software is useful for restoring your computer after a hard drive disaster. It may not be completely up-to-date, but restoring the system from a backup in this manner is much better than starting from scratch. (For more information, see "Be A Disaster Master" on page 63.)

Collapse -
tranferring everything
by edrizzo / June 27, 2008 11:32 PM PDT

This sounds so easy even an idiot like me can't screw it up. Will it also copy my Eudora email and all mailboxes?

Collapse -
re: transferring everything
by tidymaze / June 28, 2008 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: tranferring everything

I am certain that it will transfer over all your Eudora folders, and I am pretty sure it will transfer over your emails as well. The manual that comes with PC Relocator is very comprehensive, and should answer any questions you have.

Collapse -
I would use Acronis, plus you'd have the best back-up pgm.
by spoelberg / May 19, 2013 12:43 AM PDT
In reply to: tranferring everything

Thank you! My PC (Windows XP) has been on several occasions completely blocked by either viruses or some corrupted files. Repairs have been costly over time. Uploading all the programs, one by one, and restoring all my documents is always time consuming. Hope this part will be avoidable from now on!
There remains, however, one problem which I still don't know how to solve. Recently a nasty virus, supposedly from the "Justice Department", tried to ransomed me at the tune of $300 to allow the PC to reboot. Another one of the multiple scams that infect the internet. I tried everything I knew how to reboot the PC, to no avail. Back to the shop which cost me $180 just to start the PC. Luckily did not lose any data this time. They did not want to tell me how to restart the PC. Would any one now what kind of a program they might have used ?

Collapse -
Justice Dept. scam
by rrgame / May 30, 2013 10:17 AM PDT

There are a couple of ways to get around this virus. The first is to open windows in safe mode. If you don't know how to get into safe mode, unplug power cord, have pc on then remove battery. When you put battery back and plug in pc turn on and it will come up with a screen asking you how you want to open windows. Choose safe mode with networking. This should allow windows to open and you can run your antivirus software to remove the virus. Malware is very good at removing this virus. If this doesn't work you can run system restore from the same screen you selected safe mode on and reset your system to known good day. You can then run antivirus and remove any viruses.

Collapse -
Transferring everything
by edrizzo / August 29, 2008 1:20 AM PDT

Well I finally did it. I bought a new computer. I know its been a while but I finally got a Gateway GT5660E. I think it will work great for what I do. I'm not a gamer or anything like that. I can't even remember when I ever played a game on a computer. Not my thing!!

Anyway, the new machine should be arriving September 4. Now I need to get software to transfer everything from my original Gateway E2000 to the new Gateway GT 5660E. I need something as easy as possible but as complete as possible. I use Eudora as an email client. Will something like PC Relocator or PC Mover move that also. Would I need to reinstall my Microsoft Frontpage2003 edition or will the transfer software take care of that. I also use an FTP software to transfer my website files onto the web. Will that need to be reinstalled.

Reason I'm asking is some of these things I have been on my old computer since I bought it several years ago and I may not be able to find some of that information. I still can't find my Frontpage CD. And that's a very important program for my business!

Is there any other options to transfer everything to a new machine? I recently heard of a website called I think Carbonite, does anyone know of it?

I really appreciate any assistance you fellow forum browsers can provide. Thanks so much
Ed

Collapse -
Ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2008 1:28 AM PDT

FrontPage (some versions) has that activation issue. Call Microsoft to get a new CD on its way and I hope you have the CDKEY and all that handy.

Let me be blunt. Microsoft Office programs with that new activation method do not move like this. Even with software like http://www.laplink.com/pcmover
Bob

Collapse -
Tranfering everything
by edrizzo / August 29, 2008 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Ouch.

I lucked out. I found the Frontpage CD with the Key code written on the cover.

Collapse -
a quick way
by tedtks / June 27, 2008 6:11 PM PDT

only takes a screw driver. pull the hard drive out of the
dying pc - plug the data and power plugs into the HD just like you will see in the new pc, and you are good to go.
dont need a lot of cables or software.
just start windows explorer and copy what ever you want to
wherever.
NOW, this also assumes that its not the hard drive thats
giveing your old pc a hard time. if so, you will just have
to hope you can get it going again - as usual.

Collapse -
Tranferring everything
by edrizzo / June 27, 2008 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: a quick way

A PC repair freind thinks the hard drive i getting ready to go to drive heaven

Collapse -
Power button
by keng612 / June 28, 2008 4:04 AM PDT

Your description sounds exactly like a problem I had with a HP computer. The problem? The plastic push button thingy on the case had cracked and was not hitting the power switch button on the inside.

I resolved this by removing the front and snapping off that cheap plastic piece and just powering up the PC by pressing the power button on the inside. Never had a problem since.

Collapse -
Transfering everything from one computer to another.
by rkushnier / June 28, 2008 4:27 AM PDT

I like "PCmover", from Laplink. It is fairly comprehensive and WILL transfer settings, registry, data files, and most importantly, applications, from one computer to another. It still won't do it all, but it seems better than most programs in this category.

Collapse -
Transfering everything from one computer to another
by edrizzo / September 5, 2008 10:02 PM PDT

I finally got a new PC and did get PC Mover. I see that both PC's need to be online at the same time. No big deal, I have a router just need a cable for new PC. My concern is that the new PC doesn't have antivirus installed and the PC Mover says all antivirus and spyware Firewall must be off for PC Mover to function. This really concerns me. I just spent over $150 to have viruses removed from my old PC that got through my McAfee Business class Anti virus protection.
(McAfee will hear from me)

Is my concerns justified? I don't want any problems with my new PC.

Collapse -
PC Mover ?
by capeellyn / September 7, 2008 9:41 AM PDT

I just got a new Gateway laptop to replace an older, much slower one. My old one runs on XP Pro and has Microsoft Office 2003 as well as iTunes (with thousands of songs that I CAN'T lose) and Adobe Photoshop & ImageReady (as well as a bunch of other random programs).

I have two questions:
1) Will I be able to transfer Office 2003 and the Adobe programs onto my new PC using PCMover? Could I experience problems with the free trial of Office 2007 that came installed on the new PC? (ok, that technically was two questions...)
2) Can I purchase the online version of PC Mover and use my own USB cable or do I really need to buy the entire 'physical version' to use it for the first time?

Hopefully this will help the original poster as well... Thank you in advance for any help! Happy

Collapse -
Tranfering Everything-PC Mover
by edrizzo / September 7, 2008 10:31 PM PDT
In reply to: PC Mover ?

PC Mover should have no problem transferring Office 2003. Was that part of your old PC's bundle? It will not interfere with anything on your new PC.

I would recommend having the hard copy of PC Mover in your possession vs. the downloaded copy. Although, this may be a personal preferance, I just think it's a good idea to have the CD on hand just in case you have to re-install for what ever reason.

I got my copy, brand new and never opened, on eBay for a great price and it arrived in just a few days.

Hope I was able to help.

Ed

Collapse -
Re: Transfering Everything PC Mover
by capeellyn / September 8, 2008 12:41 AM PDT

Thanks Ed! Office 2003 was not installed on my old system - do you still think it won't be a problem? And what do you think about transferring Adobe Photoshop and Imageready? I'm not sure where those discs are so I don't have the keycodes.

I've been downloading the contents from my old laptop onto the GeekSquad's online storage site since yesterday and it's still at only 12% completed - so I think I have time to get the PCMover. Thanks again!

Ellyn

Collapse -
1) Will I be able to transfer Office 2003 and the Adobe prog
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2008 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: PC Mover ?

1) Will I be able to transfer Office 2003 and the Adobe programs onto my new PC using PCMover? Could I experience problems with the free trial of Office 2007 that came installed on the new PC? (ok, that technically was two questions...)

a. Uninstall Office 2007 first. This is fairly well known to cause issues.

b. Office 2003 even when moved with PCMover will kick and scream to be activated. Be sure to have the Office 2003 and KeyCodes ready.

c. I can't answer about Adobe's software. But I'd have the CD handy and key codes just in case it has an activation issue.

In closing, if Office flies apart at the seams and won't work look at http://www.openoffice.org for a free alternative so you can open, print and edit your files.
Bob

Collapse -
Will I be able to transfer Office 2003 and the Adobe prog
by edrizzo / September 8, 2008 1:27 AM PDT

I wouldn't think you need to do anything with Office 2007. It's not being transferred anywhere. It's part of a bundle of the new PC even if it is a trial version. As for Office 2003, if you can't find the original Keycode, I agree with R. Proffitt and download Open Office I have both Office 2003 and Open Office and use Open Office since I downloaded it.

Adobe isn't as finicky as Microsoft so you should be okay there but I'd start serching for those CD's. I searched for all of mine. Luckily, I found the ones I needed and now they are locked in my safe!!.

I haven't done my transfer yet. I just ordered a new monitor and when that comes I will do my transfer.

Good Luck.

I also found a great site for backups. Of course, I wrote it down somewhere but where, I can't remember. It's something like www.carbonite.com

I'm sure that'll get to the site. I did a check on them and will be using it once I am through with my transferring

Ed

Collapse -
How do I transfer the content of my old computer to my new ?
by T.Scholtes / October 1, 2009 10:58 AM PDT

Hi,I have bought a new computer from Medion,it is a Multimedia PC with
Windows Vista Hom Premium,I also bought an external 3.5" Hard Disk Drive 1TB,by the name of AKOYA,
the connection is by USB and External SATA interface,I want to Backup
all the data from my old computer to the external hard drive then to my new computer with the OS XP,how do I go about it? Please help
Thank you

Collapse -
(NT) how to transfer files from one computer yo another?
by pooksdad / January 21, 2011 3:33 PM PST
Collapse -
Transfer files and applications to another PC
by Appmen / March 10, 2011 7:02 PM PST

You may consider to use PickMeApp: a free solution to migrate from XP.Portable PickMeApp tool may transfer programs from XP to Windows 7. PickMeApp claims to support unlimited number of programs. To edrizzo: you may transfer you Microsoft Office application and Adobe applications like Photoshop and so on

Collapse -
Transfering everything from one computer to another
by davis287 / January 4, 2013 8:49 PM PST

I usually try to play things as SAFE as possible.

My best suggestion would be for you to buy a External Hard Drive as large as you can afford like 1TB or 2TB or 3TB and then COPY any and all files from your old computer and paste those files on to your New hard drive BEFORE !! you try to transfer any files to your New computer .

That way you will always have a 100% copy of all your old files just incase you screw up things when starting to Transfer files to your New computer .

100% SAFE is always better than sorry .

I have seen 3tb External Hard Drives in Costco for as low as $129 .

And I think you can get the same deal at Best Buy .

Start to learn how to Shop CHEAP !! by using your Google.com browser and search the internet for the cheapest deals for a 3tb external hard drive or anything that you need .

There is always a cheaper deal if you look hard enough .

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.