Audio & Video Software

General discussion

transfer old photo slides to computer/dvd, etc.

by marky154 / January 13, 2005 8:42 PM PST

Is there a way to transfer old slides. (40 years old) to a computer or dvd or some type of media? My parents have tons of old photos that would be great to share with others.

mark

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: transfer old photo slides to computer/dvd, etc.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: transfer old photo slides to computer/dvd, etc.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Slides >>> Computer
by hoosierfjc / January 13, 2005 11:50 PM PST

In order to get slides to the computer they must first be scanned (digitized into the computer). Some scanners have provisions for slides and other scanners are sold for slide scanning only. The short of it is that you must first digitize these old slides to get them on your computer. Once there, you can decide how you want to manipulate the images. With editing software (PhotoShop) you can even enhance the images before placing them in various multimedia formats.

Collapse -
321 Studios
by bobbycrab / January 14, 2005 8:05 AM PST
In reply to: Slides >>> Computer

I do not consider this an advertisement since 321 Studios are no longer in business but an attack on my own personal rights as a result of legal actions against them forcing their bankruptcy.

321 Studios had the very best group of programs in their DVDXTREME program for the type of multimedia productions and general computer use of which I am interested.

My interest is in producing family histories and individual biographies in documentary style quality.

I have tried many photo slide-show programs and video editing programs. None can compare with DVDXSHOW and DVDXMAKER which are included in the DVDXTREME Suite of programs.

DVDXSHOW has the capability of panning and zooming a photo with total control from beginning to end for each slide in documentary fashion.

My interest is Genealogy in which I have many group photos. I can zoom from full photo view and to a frame I drawed around a person in the photo, set the period of time for narration for that person. I can then pan across to each person in succession to recognize and then pan out. This is only one example, not to mention the editing and voice over controls that is available to use. I have tried many other programs but none gives me the ease of control I am looking for as in DVDXShow.

Having been a career military photographer, I am now working on a documentary motion picture of my own life in which I am capable of doing in "Documentary" style using pans and zooms resulting in an interesting and professional quality Documentary of which I can be proud.

DVDXTREME can still be purchased on the internet from 3rd party dealers. You will need to look for it. They do not provide support for the programs. The illegal program, DVDXCOPY has been modified so that copy protected tapes and discs can not be copied.

The copy I have is modified. As a result of these modifications to prevent bypassing copy protection, I have been prevented from copying discs that I have authored that do not have any type of copy protection encoded. In other words, I am prevented to pursue my own DVD productions of family history and personal biographies. I feel that my own individual rights are now being violated in favor of big business. It would be like judges prosecuting stores for having their shopping carts stolen rather than prosecuting the person doing the stealing.

I ordered the DVDXTREME suite just before 321 bankruptcies and as a result, I never received the promised rebate and promised upgrades and plug-ins. And the promised continued support is no longer available. I may not be able to unlock the program should I have a need to re-install it.

I was a career military photographer doing multimedia documentaries with 35mm and 16mm motion picture cameras and production techniques and 35mm slide shows and viewgraphs.

As long as the geeks are trying to do photography their way like coming up with a 4 X 6 inch photo format contrary to the 150 year old 4 X 5 we will always be looking for a better way of doing things.

Collapse -
DVDXshow viewer
by sweetknute / January 28, 2005 8:06 AM PST
In reply to: 321 Studios

I agree with bobbycrab that 321 studios had a great product in DVDXshow which I have used extensively. Its the best I've seen for building a photo slide show.

I am looking to get hold of the last release of the viewer that used to be available free on their web page. It allows you to view a format made for the PC or when sharing a show through email. Anybody know where I might get hold of that?

Collapse -
DVDXShow Viewer
by jackbbrown / March 7, 2005 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: DVDXshow viewer

Were you able to find the viwer please?
I haven't had any luck

Regards
JB

Collapse -
transfer old photo slides to computer/dvd, etc
by Siegi / January 14, 2005 1:44 AM PST

I have the same problem with tons of old 35mm negatives. The only solution I could think of is a scanner or attachment to a scanner that handles transparencies. I ordered one from Epson but it has not arrived yet, so I can't give you an evaluation yet. My advice is, google "photo" or transparency" and "scanner", and pester the dealers with lots of relevant questions.
Good Luck

Collapse -
Transfering slides to CD
by patsybluehat / January 14, 2005 5:13 AM PST

I have never tryed it but I know there are scanners, that will scan slides.

Collapse -
How I did it.... for free.
by timwerx / January 18, 2005 9:19 AM PST

Crude and obvious: I set up Dad's old projector and screen with my video camera next to the projector and aimed at the screen. After a few test shots to make sure all was square and framed well, I ran the carousels through, at 2 or 3 seconds per slide. Then, with my camera connected to my PC, I copied the whole video onto my hard drive. Then I opened it in my video editor and saved stills from the best frame of each slide.

They turned out extremely well -- you'd never guess it was done that way. And, best of all, I didn't have to spend a cent to do it.

Collapse -
FREE?
by hoosierfjc / January 21, 2005 12:02 AM PST

Don't forget a "gigamaximus" hard drive to get this done Happy

Collapse -
Well....
by timwerx / February 12, 2005 6:22 PM PST
In reply to: FREE?

I only did a few hundred. If and when I get around to thinking about some more, I will have to think of getting a gigamaximus (love that term) hard drive, or archiving to DVD as data files.

No, it won't be free then..........

Collapse -
How I transferred mine
by BlasterU / February 18, 2005 2:56 AM PST

Got the old slide projector out, setup a clean white background about 2 - 3 feet away, adjust for focus.
made a bridge across the slide projector lense, with a
screw hole in it to mount my digital camera.
Turned off the flash on the digital camera, turned off all lights around me, and zoomed in on the focused picture from the slide projector on the white board,
had the camera on auto focus, and took the picture of the picture on the white board.

When finished with the slide tray, took the digita camera flash card to the computer and downloaded to my computer. Used Photoshop to filter the pictures and saved to hard drive, them copied all those pictures to a CD burner

I was amazed at how well they came out.

I also tried to scan in the slides using an HP slide scanner adapter to my scanner but, everything came out white washed. Slide adapter only would hold 3 slides and then you would have to change out again. Took a long time.

With the projector and digital camera things went extremely faster and photos came out excellent.

Collapse -
PrimeFilm 1800u
by rbarkley / January 30, 2005 2:22 AM PST

This is certainly not a free way to do it, but a quality way to do it - I have used the PrimeFilm 1800u slide scanner for a couple of years after trying to scan slides on a flat bed scanner. While nothing will cut down on the time it takes to scan slides (one at a time), this scanner produces a quality scan which your family can enjoy.

Collapse -
1800u scanner problems
by nedave / February 24, 2005 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: PrimeFilm 1800u

I purchased this scanner 3 months ago. I scanned a few slides OK. Then - it just quit responding. I removed and reinstalled the latest drivers. Still no good. It just sits in the "preparing scanner" mode until it times out. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? My OS is XP Pro. Please help... Thank You

Collapse -
transfer old photo slides to computer/dvd, etc.
by Joseph O'Brien / February 11, 2005 4:40 PM PST

email me @

dalcassian@iol.ie

and I can give you some information that may be useful.

Collapse -
Slides transferred, now how do I play them on TV?
by tazio / February 13, 2005 7:55 AM PST

I have a related dilemma. I have scanned slides to my computer, created slide shows, then burned the slideshows to CD-Rs. I would like to view these slideshows on my TV by playing the CDs on the DVD player. My current DVD player will not accept formats other than the usual video DVDs and music CDs. Is there a type of DVD player that can play the CDs I created on my computer (Win XP Pro, Sonic RecordNow)? What would I look for in the specs for the player? How could I tell if the DVD player can handle my CDs?
(Physical and necessary separation of the TV and computer prevents a direct connection between the two.)

Collapse -
I assume..
by Haole / February 15, 2005 2:45 PM PST

you tried to play it on the DVD player you have, are would not have posted here. Anyway, 3 years ago I had that problem and after doing so online research, I bought a Cyberhome Brand DVD and I haven't found a disc format that won't play on it. In fact I have two, one regular (normal) size & what I'd call half size. This past Xmas I saw the half size one at Walmart for $38 I think. Sure happy with mine.
RJ

Collapse -
authoring dvd slide shows
by glennlee / February 24, 2005 4:00 AM PST

You need software that "authors" dvd slide shows that you can play on your standalone dvd player. I use Arcsoft Showbiz 2, and get excellent results. Allows panning, zooming, multiple style transitions, background music, all in dvd quality resolution and sound. The burning process is going to take a little longer, but the quality of end product and the convenience of dvd player compatibilty makes it worth it. U Lead has similar packages, as well as Adobe Premiere.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.