Mac Applications forum

General discussion

transfer of bookmarks from safari to Firefox

by paul.woolman / May 20, 2005 12:44 AM PDT

safari has problems with banking sites, IE and Firefox work OK - so if I wish to work in Firefox 1.4 in future how do I transfer my extensive bookmarks from safari please? Working in 10.3.9 now.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: transfer of bookmarks from safari to Firefox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: transfer of bookmarks from safari to Firefox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Transfer Bookmarks
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 20, 2005 3:59 AM PDT

Go to the Safari bookmarks page, Select all, Copy.
Go to the FireFox bookmarks page, Paste.

Collapse -
not so simple it seems
by paul.woolman / May 20, 2005 7:28 PM PDT

selected all in Safari, copied, then entered bookmarks manager in Firefox, paste is greyed out and not available. The Firefox import wizard sees only Opera - which I do not use - or "files" but Safari bookmarks file does not seem to be available as a file? What have I missed?

Collapse -
OK, Plan B
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 20, 2005 10:26 PM PDT
In reply to: not so simple it seems

Go to Safari and open the bookmarks.
Go to File and choose, Export Bookmarks. Select a place to put the file.
Go to FireFox and open the bookmarks
Go to File and choose, Import Bookmarks.
Choose "From file" and when prompted, navigate to the place where you stored the export file.
Choose it

Bingo! You should be done

Collapse -
Plan B
by taboma. / August 5, 2005 12:41 PM PDT
In reply to: OK, Plan B

Peter, Would that work from AOL to Firefox also? Would it work with the address book? That is the most importance to me.
I am setting up high speed cable with Time Warner/Comcast/Adelphia this coming Monday. I can use Adelphia for a 30 day trial. I am also having an expert installation tech person installing and setting it up for me. The only charge?$9.95. (Seems pretty inexpensive for me to do that.)
Now, when the tech person is here, do you think that he will know how to copy my AOL address book over to Comcast? Or is it only for hardware installation?

If you know of a way to do that, I could print your info out for him to set it up for me, or I could do it later by myself.
Would it be the same as coping fom AOL to your own Time Warner RR?
Peter, GOOD RIDDANCE to AOL!!! I hope?
By the way, there are options of services similar to your RR. The high-end is $47 per month. Than another option for $27 per month. I could also purchase my own high-speed modem from Wall-Mart or such inexpensively.
Peter, your thoughts?

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 5, 2005 12:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Plan B

You could probably export your AOL bookmarks but you would have to check with the Help section.
Your cable guy will be there to install and make sure that the thing is working correctly. I doubt he will move your stuff for you.
The lower priced service will offer a lower bandwidth but this may not be a problem for you. Depends on how much stuff you upload or download. Try the lower priced one and if you need more speed, up the ante.
Whatever speed it runs at, it will be much F A S T E R than dial-up AOL.
Given that you already have all the software necessary to surf with your new provider, you could go ahead and move the stuff now. There should be NO software that needs installing for your new service. It should be just a question of setting TCP/IP to DHCP and selecting Built-in Ethernet.

Good luck

Collapse -
by taboma. / August 6, 2005 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: AOL

Thanks Peter.

Collapse -
Ok fixed it -Plan C
by paul.woolman / May 21, 2005 7:05 AM PDT

plan B was a problem because there was no "export bookmarks " command available in Safari 1.3 .

However, a quick trawl thro Verion tracker revealed a program Safari bookamrks exporter 1.1 dated 04-26-05

I used this without fully installing it, after checking it with Norton AV, and IT WORKED - all my Safari bookamrks are now available in Firefox

thanks for your help

Collapse -
Well Done
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 21, 2005 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok fixed it -Plan C

Wonder when the export function was activated in Safari?

Collapse -
safari exports update
by russ666 / July 23, 2005 12:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Well Done

call me clueless in Seattle but i am still using (but not for much)safari 1.0.3 Latest update i am aware of was in May 2003. The mozilla 1.7.10 suite browser looks so much like my original netscape7.2 i opted for that and it did the migration of bookmarks and addresses without a hitch.Now i am being told by my betters i shooda got a firefoxx instead. I probly would if it was a little more mac-friendly. Every time i read one of these posts about firefoxx problems i am uncertain whose advice to follow. What platform/browser combination does mr macfixit use?

Collapse -
I use
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 24, 2005 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: safari exports update

A PowerMac G4 running OS 10.4.2 as one of my platforms.
Safari 2.0(412.2) as my browser. Firefox is on the machine but is not used for anything other than for checking out this sort of thing.
I guess that my bank employs people who actually know how to code a webpage without the aid of an M$ product which means that it is accessible to ALL browsers because it uses NON-Proprietary and HTML compliant code.
What OS are you using? Safari was changed in one of the upward moves but I can't remember which one.

let us know

Collapse -
Is Safari Secure?
by DoggoneDeb / August 5, 2005 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: I use

I was told not to use Safari because it is not as secure as Firefox. Is that mistaken?

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 5, 2005 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Is Safari Secure?

Compared to what you have been used to, Safari is secure. All browsers, including Firefox have their problems but Safari and Firefox are closely monitored and patched very quickly, if necessary.
Glad to see you found the Mac Forum, you will be able to get better answers to your Mac questions than on the other forum.
In my opinion, there are no major problems with using Safari or Firefox. It's whatever you feel comfortable with.
"The mouse response is slooooooooooooow and sort of wavy, like it is drunk. We bought an Apple mouse, which is quick but way too stiff for my arthritic hands. Can I do anything which will make that mouse run tightly?"
Yes, go to the System Preferences, in the dock, and then to Keyboard and Mouse. Select the mouse tab and adjust the tracking speed, etc.
What you should have received in the box, along with everything else, was a VGA display adapter. This little dohickey plugs into a port on the back of the iBook and you plug a regular monitor into the other end of it. Check the box again, it was included with all versions of the iBook.

Check back on these three Mac Forums for further updates.
Let us know how you are getting on
Well done indeed on the Wireless network. Happy

Collapse -
an updated answer
by matfeynisya / June 4, 2010 9:02 PM PDT

I am using Firefox 3.6. There is now a much simpler way.
>File >Import?
and answer the questions in the Import Wizard.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.