Computer Newbies

Resolved Question

Transfer large data between two extrenal hard disks

by Imranw23 / February 3, 2013 12:10 AM PST

I have two external hard disks hooked on to the back of my PC. I think the port is USB 2.0.

I wish to transfer all data from one extrenal hard disk to the other. The thing is, the amount I am transferring is around 530 GB. It is virtually impossible for me to transfer it to my internal hard disk and then transfer to the new external.

I wanted to ask, will it be ok to connect both the extrenals and leave the transfer on overnight? I don't want any damage to happen to either of my external hard disks.

Imranw23 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transfer large data between two extrenal hard disks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transfer large data between two extrenal hard disks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by Imranw23

Collapse -
DANGER. DON'T DO THAT!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 12:15 AM PST

You wrote TRANSFER. That means that if during the transfer if it corrupted content that all would be lost. You did not write you were going to COPY it over then decide what to do later.

Beyond that, yes I've left my externals on for days with an unit at the office that runs for months at a time between power downs. Was there a problem with these drives that caused you to worry about using them for a normal amount of time?
Bob

Collapse -
My bad
by Imranw23 / February 3, 2013 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: DANGER. DON'T DO THAT!

Oh, sorry. My bad. When I said transfer, I meant I would copy paste all the data from one external to the other. Once successful, I will then delete all the data from the original external hard disk (I need that empty).

There is no bad history with the two external hard disks. Only thing is that one is just out of the box brand new while the other one is just over a year old (I don't think that should factor in much). I am just worried because I have never done such a large transfer and that too between two USB external hard disks.

So, do you think I would run into any trouble??

Collapse -
Re: copying
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: My bad

Hardwarewise, I don't expect any errors.
But, for some unclear and maybe unwarranted feeling, I'd use an xcopy command in stead of copy/paste or drag and drop from the GUI.

Be sure to check the amount of space (GB) and number of folders/files on the new disk before deleting everything on the old disk. It should be exactly the same (except when the block size is different).

Kees

Collapse -
Copy. Much better idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: My bad

If you don't use the xcopy command then look at

ROADKIL's UNSTOPPABLE COPIER

For this one I'd do that since it will do the copy in a way that, in my opinion, will be less stressful on the externals.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by Imranw23 / February 4, 2013 3:36 PM PST

Thank you all for helping me out with this. The command line worked pretty well and it was done overnight. The number of files and capacity matched as well

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.