Phones forum

General discussion

Transfer Data from Palm T/X to Blackberry Tour

by cjmpw / July 29, 2009 5:14 AM PDT

It seems that Blackberry did not put software in for a transfer of data from the Palm T/X to the Blackberry Tour. Does anyone know a workaround for this problem? It would be convenient!!!

Thanks - CJ

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transfer Data from Palm T/X to Blackberry Tour
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transfer Data from Palm T/X to Blackberry Tour
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I own a tx.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2009 6:42 AM PDT

But no BB. But let me share that we often have to do a two step conversion. We sync our TX with what we use for that then in that software (Palm Desktop for example) export what we want to some format that some other software will accept and then from that software to the BB.

However even this method eludes many as most will want one click conversions.

Collapse -
Transfer Problem
by cjmpw / July 29, 2009 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: I own a tx.

Thanks for the info - what software program are u transfering the data to?

Collapse -
Data Transfer
by blackcoffeenosugar / July 29, 2009 2:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Transfer Problem

Microsoft Office Outlook.

Collapse -
No particuar software.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2009 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Transfer Problem

I use what I have on hand. You didn't reveal what software has the current information. I noted Palm Desktop but if you are already syncing to Outlook then we still might have some hurdles.

My reply is to get across the idea we don't do this in one step but export from what program has the info to some intermediate agnostic content (pick one?) and then see how, what the next software can do with that.

Collapse -
Transfer contacts from Palm T/X to Blackberry Curve 8530
by macdoug1950 / March 13, 2010 7:45 AM PST

Have had Palm and Palm Desktop for years with large address book and liked being able to update on the desktop or PDA and then just sync. Whole new world with BB. I thought the BB Desktop Manager would work the same way but it only backs up, you can't enter any data manually in it like Palm Desktop. My surprise. Just got BB Curve 8530 to replace both my old cell phone and PDA. You are correct Blackberry Desktop does not let you transfer from the T/X directly only other Palm smartphones. The entire process was somewhat painful but worth it. First, I exported my address book in Palm Desktop to a comma separated value (.csv) file. Then I imported it into Outlook 2007 after creating another Contact List because I previously used Outlook for a totally different set of contacts and didn't want to lose them. By making a new contact list I could keep them separate. The trick is to be very careful when you are mapping the fields. In some cases there is no equivalent. Also, it depends how strict you were in using the correct fields with your Palm. Once you have completed the mapping you can sync your BB with Outlook through the BB Desktop Manager. Again make sure you configure the settings exactly how you want them in the BB Desktop Manager. I chose to have one-way sync at first, Outlook to BB, to test (as I did have some contacts that I had manually added to BB) that I didn't want back in my Outlook Contact List. Once you know you have it right and have all the information in the right fields, you can switch the sync to both ways. The good thing is if you don't get it right you can just dump the Outlook contact list and create a new one with the imported .csv file and remap what may have been incorrect. For instance, depending on how you set up your Outlook to read (first name, last name) or (last name, first name) it may not produce the desired results on your BB. Also, I had a lot of information in the notes that didn't all come in. So when I was done I went through my almost 400 contacts one at a time to verify if there was any missing information and corrected the Outlook contacts or format so it would sync with the desired results. It is working beautifully now, no problems. The pain has been forgotten! Good luck. I will be looking to see if someone has come up with a better, faster, way to do this (too late for me) but would be interested to know.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.