Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Mac Desktops

General discussion

Transfer data from old iMac new iMac

by djohlson / March 4, 2010 9:09 PM PST

Want to transfer data from iMac G5 to new iMac Intel 10.6. I have ethernet connection. Not sure the next step. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transfer data from old iMac new iMac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transfer data from old iMac new iMac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Migration Assistant
by Kevin M. Dean / March 5, 2010 2:53 AM PST

If you want all of your user files and preferences, go to /Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant and then follow the instructions given by the app.

Otherwise you would need to turn on File Sharing in the Sharing System Preference to copy files directly.

Collapse -
Migration Assistant
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 5, 2010 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: Migration Assistant

has a problem with transferring to another computer when the user has already created an account on the new machine, especially if the username is the same.

It returns an error indicating that it cannot transfer everything because the account already exists.

Better to wipe the new machine and start again. When asked if you have data to move from an old machine, answer Yes and follow the instructions. All data that can be moved, will be, and all the accounts that existed on the old machine will be recreated on the new machine

P

Collapse -
Transfer data from old iMac new iMac
by djohlson / March 7, 2010 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: Migration Assistant

Having trouble with migration. I have a iMac, G5, OS 10.4.11. If I use ethernet, the new Intel says put in disk 1 from new Intel to my old G5. When I do that, old compt says can't do it because my G5 doesn't have Intel.
Also, tried wireless and can't seem to connect. But the old G5 (I'm typing on it with you) does have the wireless connection and works well.
I think I need to check my Verizon wireless provider. But what I really want to do (besides get on the internet) is to transfer my files from my HD and an external drive to my new Intel so I can use Time Machine. I emptied my External Drive info to make room for Time Machine. If I replace data back to my ED could I think transfer it to either the HD or desktop on my Intel and then use Time Machine to backup?

Collapse -
Data Migration
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 8, 2010 4:58 AM PST

The very best time to do Data Migration is the first time you fire up you new machine and reach the point where it asks "do you have any data to transfer from another Mac?"

Run the Data Migration tool again, on the new Mac, and follow the instructions. It should not be asking for any disks.
Make sure that the G5 is in Target Mode, start it up with the "T" key held down until you see the Firewire symbol.
Now connect the ethernet cable.

The G5 should mount on the desktop and the Migration tool should continue to function.

this has nothing to do with your Wireless provider. The new mac and old mac are joined directly with the ethernet, or Firewire, cable.
P

Collapse -
If you've made the mistake of using the same user name....
by lanny3 / March 9, 2010 8:35 AM PST
In reply to: Data Migration

If you've made the mistake of using the same user name before attempting your migration. It's a mistake because the migration is done by user name, if they're the same it's an obvious conflict.

But instead of wasting time by wiping the drive and starting over, just add a new different admin user to new mac, logout and login to that new user and then delete your original user name. Then perform the migration from your old machine of your old user name to the new machine. When you're done logon to your old user name and delete the unused new user name.

Collapse -
Transferring data from old mac to new
by GFW / March 12, 2010 10:35 AM PST

When you first turn on your new Mac, it offers to transfer your data. If you follow the prompts, it will not only transfer, but configure your new Mac the way you like it.

Collapse -
(NT) Bit late now and already noted
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 12, 2010 9:53 PM PST
Collapse -
Will it transfer and RUN applications like Appleworks, etc?
by JessGless / October 26, 2010 3:46 AM PDT

HELLO:

Will this migration process actually migrate my old iMac (OS 10.4) applications and run them as well? My new Mac Mini is running OS 10.6.4.

I have no iLife OR iWorks that came with my Mac Mini. I do have Appleworks 6.2.2, PhotoShop 7.0.1, MS Off X (or 10 if you prefer), and several other applications that I want to work until I can afford to get them upgraded.

If this is all possible it would be a boon to me as my old iMac runs for a couple of hours, seems to over heat, and shuts down.

Thanks!

JG

Collapse -
The Migration Assistant
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 26, 2010 4:33 AM PDT

will transfer those programs that will run on the new Mac.

Appleworks will definitely run, Photoshop also.

As already noted further up the thread, this process is best down before you configure the new machine.
That said, you can use the tool after you have begun to use the new machine, you just need to tell the MA not to move your accounts. (It's a check box thing)

P

Collapse -
Will it transfer and RUN applications
by JessGless / October 26, 2010 4:53 AM PDT

P

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the quick reply and the help.

Now to round up a Fire Wire cable OR to use my old cross over cable.

JG

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.