Computer Help forum

General discussion

Transfer data from old computer to new computer ? what do I need ?

by kdjoergensen / April 16, 2004 5:17 AM PDT

I am buying a new windows PC (dell).

I have an old windows PC which has files on the hard drive which I would like to transfer to the new PC. The old pc has no cd rom etc so I can not "burn" my way out of it.

How can I transfer files from old to new PC ?

Both has USB ports...

Can I simply connect the old PC with the new PC through USB cable ? Will that automatically show up as a 'drive' on both and through this connection move files from one drive to another ? or do I need special software...?

I saw that dell sells such as package for $50 (includes ways of transferring browser bookmarks etc)

I don't care about bookmarks, programs, etc

The only thing I need to move is word documents and image files.

If I attach USB cables between the two computers with no further software/hardware etc can I then establish a connection and transfer data ?

Would I find it under "drives" similar to when you attach a card reader to the USB port ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transfer data from old computer to new computer ? what do I need ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transfer data from old computer to new computer ? what do I need ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Transfer data from old computer to new computer ? what do I need ?
by Yew / April 16, 2004 6:28 AM PDT

If you haven't already ordered the new system, be sure to get a NIC included with it. Then buy another one for the old computer and a length of Cat5 crossover cable. You can set up a very basic P2P network between your systems, and transfer files very effectively.

All in all, the most expensive part should be the crossover cable at around $15 for a 10ft length. You can often find 10/100 NICs practically free on rebate and for $10-15 without rebate. All in all, it's still going to come out to being less than what it would probably cost to do it with USB and it'll be faster, simpler, and far easier to get help if you need it.

Collapse -
Some Options For Transferring Files....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 16, 2004 6:58 AM PDT

kd,

It's important to know the operating systems involved and whether they both have "Network Interface Cards", or USB ports etc. It also makes a difference on "how much" information you're trying to transfer. Remember that most of the programs will need to be "reinstalled" on the new computer if you're going to us them again. So, if you only have a handful of documents, or small pictures, to transfer, do it with a floppy disk or a CD Writer, if available. Some folks have done it by sending themselves, or a friend e-mail, then retrieving it when the new computer is installed.

On the other hand, if the old computer has large amounts of pictures, or other files, then you might want to network the two computers temporarily so the data can be transferred quickly and easily. Here are a couple of links on how you might choose to do that:

Direct Connection with a "Laplink" Cable

USB LinQ Link Cable Networking

USB Cable Networking : Introduction

As mentioned by Yewanchors, if both machines have a network card installed, purchase a CAT5 Cross-over cable and simply connect the two computers through the NIC's.:
Configuring Your Home Network

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Here's what I use. . .
by jconner / April 17, 2004 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's what I use. . .

Or you can use your digital camera as a transfer device via the USB, or by one of those external USB flash memory devices, or maybe even consider a USB external drive. Given you are transferring Word documents, these will zip up into quite small archives using WinZip which means the transfer media might even be floppy.

Big question - whats to happen with the old system. If you intend to keep it, then network them.

Collapse -
Re:Here's what I use. . .
by jconner / April 17, 2004 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's what I use. . .

Or you can use your digital camera as a transfer device via the USB, or by one of those external USB flash memory devices, or maybe even consider a USB external drive. Given you are transferring Word documents, these will zip up into quite small archives using WinZip which means the transfer media might even be floppy.

Big question - whats to happen with the old system. If you intend to keep it, then network them.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.