Phones forum

Question

Transfer between PDAs

by bigal6C6 / May 15, 2011 4:00 AM PDT

I have a Z22 which is failing. I also own an unused Tungsten E. Can someone give me a method to transfer the backed up Z22 data on my computer to the Tungsten E?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transfer between PDAs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transfer between PDAs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sorry. While I did this years ago.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2011 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Transfer between PDAs

I do not remember the exact steps.

But I did use the Palm Desktop and after I synced both units being careful to name them accordingly and NEVER the same name I went to the Palm Desktop software to copy and paste content from one device to the next.

Again, I do not have a step by step for you.
Bob

Collapse -
Transfer between PDAs
by bigal6C6 / May 17, 2011 5:39 AM PDT

I thought I had the solution but can't make it work. I'll restate the problem. I have an old Z22 and a Tungsten E which is unused. They are both capable of hot syncing to my desktop under different names. The Z22 data is backed up on the computer and I need the method to transfer all of the backed up data to the Tungsten E

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2011 5:53 AM PDT

But my solution is the one I used. I had to write that it's been some time since I did this so I can't supply a step by step and had hope you could manuever the Palm Desktop app to get it done.

Good luck!
Bob

Collapse -
Transfer between PDAs
by bigal6C6 / May 23, 2011 5:36 AM PDT

Both units sync to desktop under their own name and I was able to copy and paste all of my contacts and memos but cannot figure out how to get my calendar transferred. Were you able to do that?

Collapse -
Be careful. PalmOS Calendar was called "Datebook"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2011 5:45 AM PDT

Noted at http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/10089_en.html we might consider copying the datebook.dat file from one user account to another using Windows "Explorer."

Sorry. Again I have no step by step but if I were to do this, the datebook.dat file appears to hold the key.

In theory, quit Hotsync, Palm Desktop (pc app) and then copy the file from the old to the new user in Explorer.

Start Hotsync, pull up Palm Desktop app and see if the calender moved.
Bob

Collapse -
datebook.dat transfer
by bigal6C6 / May 29, 2011 7:22 AM PDT

Was able to search and find this file but have no hint as to how to follow up with transfer using Explorer.

Collapse -
Hmm, I would have used FileZ on the Palms.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2011 7:25 AM PDT
In reply to: datebook.dat transfer

Sorry that copying files in Explorer is too hard. And that I have no step by step.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Second idea. Direct transfers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2011 5:55 AM PDT

Google up FILEZ.

It can send almost any file from one Palm to another. It's strictly guru level as to what file does what or contains what but it can open up your options.

And remember you wrote DATA. Not apps.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

CNET's Oh, Snap! Sweepstakes

Enter for a chance to win* a 360-degree camera

Do you Snapchat? We want you to snap for this sweepstakes and give you the chance to get your hands on the Theta S so you can make your very own 360-degree videos.