Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

transfer audio cassettes to CD

by mudpup / July 26, 2004 1:54 AM PDT

I am looking for an "easy to use" and inexpensive program that will not only play Cd's, MP3's, video etc., WHAT I NEED IS A WAY TO HOOK UP MY CASSETTE DECK AND TRANSFER CASSETTES TO CD (.cda format) and later to MP3 and DVD. Warning - I find it hard to understand stuff like why when I burn a CD I have to go online to verfiy something or other so I am not a computer genius and therefore need a program that is easy to understand.

Any help would be really appreciated!!!!!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: transfer audio cassettes to CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: transfer audio cassettes to CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: transfer audio cassettes to CD
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2004 2:14 AM PDT

I can do this with the software that came with my CD Recorder. Since that came with manuals and support, you don't need me to tell you anymore how to make an AudioCD.

But that AUDIO CAPTURE step can be hard on people. I need only ONE TOOL to CAPTURE. I will not supply ANY LINKS to you. I will give you a WORD to type into so you can learn to find things.

1. Audio Capture. The program and word to type into Google is....

2. Audio editing. If you want to trim the audio capture file, the program and word is....

I offer no support for these programs, but found them to be exactly what I needed to capture and edit. The software that came with my CD recorder did the last step to make an AudioCD.

Collapse -
Re: transfer audio cassettes to CD
by mikebeck / September 16, 2004 8:21 AM PDT

your needs consist of two different things, really; the physical parts like cable and connetors for linking your tapemachine with your PC, and the software for actually recording the sound onto your PC?s hard disk.

The physical bit should be fairly simple. Provided you have some sort of line out on your cassette deck it is only a matter of finding a cable that has a connector that fits that output on one end, and most likely a 3.5mm stereo plug on the other end to go into the "line in" of your PC?s soundcard. Note - though - that you should NOT connect to a "mic in" on your PC, since those inputs are far more sensitive and will only distort a line level input.

Then the matter of recording software. Personally I?ve used Cool Edit for years, and it is just perfect for recording and editing any sort of audio. But there?s such a bewildering array of software available for this particular task that you really have to try out one or two and stick to whatever works for you.

More important is actually learning the strengths and quirks of whatever software you settle for; they all behave slightly differently, and a small amount of effort is needed to get ANY software to do what you want. From the "go online to verfiy something or other" -bit I presume you have used wma-files or tried to use a piece of software that has some option or other set in a "helpful" manner.

The thing is that with the download-hysteria a lot of unpleasant side-effects have emerged. You?re best off to stick to simple recording programs. The more bells and whistles, the more problems and incomprehensibilities. And you definitely do NOT have to pay ANY money to find a good working platform for recording and playback; you need to look no further than to find tons of free and usable players/recorders.

Also, some basic understanding of sound formats would come in handy. Basically you should ALWAYS first record to .wav, and NEVER to anything less than 44.1KHz 16bit (CD quality). Preferably, if your soundcard supports it, you should go for 96KHz 24/32bit, especially if you intend to edit or adjust the sound later on. With recording cassettes you might want to tweak eq and reduce tape hiss afterwards, and then all headroom in sampling frequency and bit depth is very useful.

Whatever format you want to transfer to later matters less, as long as you keep your original wavs pristine. Empty CDs being as cheap as they are it might be good practice to regularly backup your originals; there?s few things as annoying as having to re-record something you just threw out last week. And 44.1KHz 16bit wavs can be burnt straight to audio CDs with ANY burning program today. Then again, several burning programs can make ordinary audio CDs out of almost any kind of music file nowadays.

Hope this helped...

Cool Edit.
An oldie that does just what one expects and wants it to do. And luckily it still seems to be available at

Collapse -
Hard Way (Or Easy Way...)
by Tom_SF / September 27, 2005 12:20 PM PDT

I bought a stand-alone CD-R recorder five years ago and dubbed-off songs from tapes and vinyl easily to my CD-R machine. I did this long before I bought a computer system. After I finished making CD-R's, it's a cinch to use them in the computer for ripping, making mp3's, etc. I also felt like I have better control if I use a CD-RW to test the track to make sure I didn't screw-up first so I can erase easily and when I finished, I'd copy that to a CD-R.

Collapse -
cassette to cd
by sandigrams / December 20, 2006 8:36 AM PST

I've read the messages in this forum, and my cassette player on the stereo doesn't have a line out. It's probably 20 years old,is there any thing else I can try, without spending a fortune. I have just a few cassettes that aren't being released anymore.
Thank You

Collapse -
by Longblades / January 15, 2007 2:37 AM PST
In reply to: cassette to cd

Sandi, does it have headphones? You can probably use that to plug your patch cord into the recording device or computer.

Collapse -
cassette to cd
by sandigrams / January 24, 2007 8:14 AM PST
In reply to: Headphones

Longblades, sorry i've been so long, been away. I have read about the headphone jack in another message, it said something about it not recording good sound. Can i just tie my RCA wires from the back of the stereo to an adapter ( if they make one )that will make one line into the computer?

Collapse -
cassettes to cd's
by geoc40 / January 11, 2006 7:58 AM PST

was looking for software to tranfer music from cassettes to cd's downloaded one program but was hard to get breakes right and the cost was 25.00 wasn't bad but must be a better program out there

Collapse -
by dano83860 / January 11, 2006 10:35 AM PST
In reply to: cassettes to cd's
Collapse -
Transfer Audio Cassette to CD
by tipper1 / January 11, 2006 10:43 AM PST

I use the Microsoft analog recorder in the Microsoft plus Pkg. I have transferred over 100 audio cassettes and over 500 Vinyl record albums to digital on my computer and then burned to CD Was very simple to hook up and use.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.