Storage

General discussion

traces of bad block/sector

by yongtw123 / February 7, 2008 1:24 AM PST

One of my hard drives are not in very good condition; it has some bad blocks and sectors. I used ChkDsk many times and repaired whenever it could. Weeks ago I reformatted that drive and created a whole new partition. Now at least the "bad block" or "bad sector" errors won't pop up every minute.

I just want to ask, when I am using my hard drive, and data just happens to be written near the "marked/fixed" bad sectors/blocks, should Event Viewer be alerting me of these bad sectors/blocks? Aren't these inconsistencies marked by the drive and never used again? In other words, maybe Event Viewer is just reminding me that on the disk surface the problems still exist physically? Maybe I shouldn't be too worried? Maybe the data won't be corrupted unless Windows tell me so?

Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: traces of bad block/sector
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: traces of bad block/sector
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
To fix this...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2008 2:29 AM PST

I clone the drive to a new one and send the old bad one to silicon heaven.

Bob

Collapse -
Does the poster know how to do this?
by welrdelr / February 8, 2008 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: To fix this...

dd isn't a command line for the average user, much less a person that only uses a windows nt release. The poster may need someone to help.

Collapse -
Porch a geese... I choose you!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2008 8:52 AM PST

Tell them about G4U

Collapse -
In order to use G4U for cloning
by welrdelr / February 8, 2008 8:58 AM PST

The person will either have to set up an ftp account with a large bandwidth and space
or
make a server with a linux distro, fedora being the easiest to use in this case.
personally, it looks like dd with a few extra command lines.

Collapse -
Bah!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2008 9:12 AM PST

I used it last week for a disk to disk copy.

Collapse -
the application worked for you
by welrdelr / February 8, 2008 9:48 AM PST
In reply to: Bah!

But we are talking of someone who needs a basic tutorial on using a copy command. The tutorial given is easy for people used to a *nix system but
it is difficult and confusing to the average user.
the only other solution I can think of is to have someone make a modified net install debian disk with ntfs added to the partitioner or a command line only with the ntfs partition option available and use that to copy from disk to disk.

Collapse -
Bad disk sector solution
by welrdelr / February 8, 2008 9:14 AM PST

You will need another hard drive of the exact same size.
Attach it to the cable.
Burn a knoppix disk and boot up according to a tutorial I have posted- see earlier posts.
Mount both disks and click open.
the one with folders and files will be the one you want to copy
mark the new disk as writable.
open the terminal on the bottom- looks like a monitor.
type "sudo su" and hit enter
type "dd if=/dev/hd? of=/dev/hd?" where the question mark is the disk name for the first.
If sd is used then it will be "dd if=/dev/sd? of=/dev/sd?" with the same rules applying.

For the next choice you will instead type "qtparted" where the dd command was and mount the disk that is new. choose format as in the right click menu and choose ntfs. choose commit in the drop down menu.
choose quit and return to the terminal
type "exit" and continue with the next part of the tutorial.

If you are willing, you could try the cp command such type "cp /dev/hd or sd?/location/of/folder /dev/name/of/new/disk"

Collapse -
G4U copy is "one line"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2008 10:56 AM PST
http://www.mail-archive.com/g4u-help@feyrer.de/msg00718.html writes "The 'g4u' part was easy -- it cloned the smaller disk to the larger one for me with just a single command."

Please read Porch a Geese other posts and sadly I think we may have to share the answers rather than dive into the empty deep end of the pool. That can hurt.

Bob
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.