Phones forum

General discussion

TRAC PHONE PREPAID

by Big Steve / July 18, 2006 8:12 AM PDT

Is Trac Phone a good prepaid company to go with?

End Of Message
07/18/06

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TRAC PHONE PREPAID
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TRAC PHONE PREPAID
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
if you're poor
by unclegee1 / July 18, 2006 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: TRAC PHONE PREPAID

Why get them??? They aint reliable. I have heard stories about tracphone...bad and crazy stories about how the rip you off. get a well known carrier and save some hassle time

Collapse -
Re: if you're poor
by Big Steve / July 19, 2006 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: if you're poor

I guess you could say that I'm poor; in this day and time who isn't. Since I would use a cell phone for emergencies only with my monthly minutes running anywhere from 25 to no more than 50 minutes a month I personally can't see having to take out a 2 year contract with a cell phone provider paying $39.99 to $59.99 a month for the next 2 years so I can have basic cell phone service using no more than 50 minutes a month.

That's why I'm considering pre-paid cell phone service. What you shouldn't do is automatically assume that everyone is either a dead beat or just too poor to have a cell phone period if they even ask questions about prepaid cell phone service.

What you need to do is take that silver spoon out of your mouth; wipe it off; take a good look at it and let that spoon be a reminder to you as to just how fortunate you really are because let me tell you there are literally thousands from my area who lost everything last year thanks to a hurricane; but they do have the will and strong spirit to bounce back from the world's worst natural disaster which struck our area on August 29, 2005.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
07/19/06

Collapse -
Trac Phone
by MaryAlice555 / August 15, 2006 7:43 PM PDT
In reply to: if you're poor

Rich or poor, it just makes good sense to be frugal and like some, dont sign up for cellular service if you dont need a phone at your head all day and night. I love my Trac phone, bought it just before Hurricane Rita hit the Texas coast. I wouldnt trade it for T Mobile, Cingular etc. I dont need a cell phone to drive, shop, order fast food... its ridiculous to see people behaving rudely or full of self importance. Most of us Traccers are not poor... just smart enough to know our limits.!!!

Collapse -
Re: Trac Phone
by Big Steve / August 16, 2006 5:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Trac Phone

MaryAlice555:

Which model of Trac Phone do you have and about how many minutes do you use each month? Is your phone a candy bar phone or a flip phone? I had a Sprint phone briefly which my brother got for me in May 2006 here locally.

The phone was a Samsung A560 which I used for one month then I accidentially dropped it here in the house and the phone stopped working. I took it back to the local Sprint store but they couldn't or wouldn't figure out what was wrong with it.

I used the phone no more than 40 minutes the one month that I had it before I dropped it. I shipped the phone back to my brother in Texas in late June 2006 and I don't know if he still has it. When I ask him about it; he tells me the phone is being checked out at Sprint which is bull. The phone was still under warranty; certainly he could have just swapped the phone out for another new one.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
08/17/06

Collapse -
Do the math
by PudgyOne / July 18, 2006 6:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
Tracfone is not a bad prepaid service.
by jgvillan / July 19, 2006 10:29 AM PDT

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority, but i do think that Tracfone is a good prepaid cell provider to use. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I used to have one. I got one two years ago for my daughter, so that she would be able to get used to a cell phone, and the responsibilities that came with it.

Tracfone plans was easy to follow, setup, and use. They have their plans setup to where you know that this amount of money would give you X amount of minutes, and would track by the minute. Only thing that you have to know, if you travel outside your local service area (if your cell roams) your going to be charged two minutes for the price of one. For example, going from San Francisco to LA for the weekend. For basic useage, if it says you have 10 minutes left, you got 10 minutes. the one thing i liked is that of you do have your 10 minutes left, and you pay/renew before the three month period is up..those last 10 minutes would 'roll-over', giving you more minutes to use. Like Cingular, I believe that those unused rollover minutes would last about a year before they really do expire.

Ok, here's what I think of Cingular. their pay rates confuse the heck out of me. They do give prices on how much X amount of minutes would cost. However, they track by the dollar amount, and not by the minute. So exactly how many minutes $4.69 would be is anyone's guess. However, there are good things that I have to give them props for. Their plans are national, meaning you can go anywhere in the US and not roam (in most cases), so the rates stay the same. Also, they don't charge when you are on a call with another Cingular subscriber, and they offer thier roll-over minutes on their plans. If you check out Cingular.com, you can see what plans that they have for their GoPhones.

Pretty much both sides have their versions of pre-paid or pay as you go. I'm would do too much into texting, and all that stuff. For thoses, you might as well go with a 'real' plan. Rates are just cheaper compared to pre-paid.

I can't comment on T-Mobile's, since I never did consider using it.

I eventually 'upgraded' my duaghter's service to Sprint. Not becuase TracFone was bad or anything, but with my daughter's constant need for text messeging, pic taking and multimedia files, it just made more sense. Especially since that she learned about how cell phones worked, and is more responsible in not killing off her minutes.

If you dont want to be stuck in a 2-year contract, and plan to not use your cell phone as often as another would, or travel away from your 'local area service' as much, I would suggest that you consider TracFone or Cingular for just the very basics in cell use. True, it isn't as 'well-known' as Cingular's GoPhone, or T-mobile, but like I said. Tracfone really isn't a bad service to use.

I hope that this helps, and good luck.

Collapse -
Re: Tracfone is not a bad prepaid service.
by Big Steve / July 19, 2006 1:18 PM PDT

All of my calls would be made within my local calling area; none of my calls would be made outside of my local calling area. As I stated before I would use the phone for emergencies only.

Since I don't drive I have to use either local public transit or more expensive cab service to take me to the doctor; to the grocery store; etc. Last week I spent more than $50.00 for cab fare just to take me to doctor appointments.

I didn't have a phone with me then but the cabbie who I use regularly was nice enough to let me use his phone to make a few calls. Personally I would feel better knowing that I had my own cell phone with me.

My minutes used during any given month would probably range from a low of 25 minutes per month to a high of 50 minutes per month. If I did decide to go with Tracfone should I go with a "refurbished" phone or select a "new" phone?

Which brand of phone or phones would you recommend I select if I decide to go with Tracfone? If not Tracfone; then with Cingular? Nokia; LG; Motorola; Samsung; Sony; or who?

Cingular To Go has two basic prepaid phone plans; one plan deducts an access charge of $1.00 a day for each day that you use the phone and your calls are rated at 10 cents per minute.

Cingular's second plan doesn't deduct an access charge of $1.00 a day for each day that you use the phone but your calls are rated at 25 cents per minute instead of 10 cents per minute.

Based upon my calling needs; which plan would you recommend that I consider? Finally thanks for your detailed post.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
07/19/06

Collapse -
With what you told me...
by jgvillan / July 20, 2006 3:52 PM PDT

With what you told me, sounds to me that Cingular would be a better deal for you, but not the $1 access per day. Potentially, you can pay $30+ a month. Instead of the To Go plan, you may want the Pick Your Plan deal.

In Cells, you can't go wrong with Nokia, Motorola, and LG. I wouldn't recommend Samsung; they just don?t have the signal quality as the other phones have. I wouldn't go with 'refurbished' cell phones. Somehow, when cells get refurbished, they still don't work just the same as new.

I hope that this answers some of your questions, please good luck.

Collapse -
Re: With what you told me...
by Big Steve / July 21, 2006 1:35 PM PDT

jgvillan:

Cingular's other Pay As You Go Plan is one which has no daily access fee charge every time you use the phone but your calls are 25 cents a minute instead of 10 cents a minute under the $1.00 a day access fee charge.

Or as you mentioned in your post Cingular also offers another plan; their pick your plan but the way I have it figured if I went with their Pay As You Go Plan my only major expense to start would be the cost of the phone and my start up minutes which I would have to purchase.

I believe if I purchased a $25.00 card from Cingular the minutes on that card are good for 90 days or sooner if you use them up whereas if you purchased a $15.00 card that card is good for only 30 days or sooner if you use the minutes up. I don't know if unused minutes with any of Cingular's prepaid plans roll over or not. Thanks for your post.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
07/21/06

Collapse -
wow, getting a headache....=)
by jgvillan / July 21, 2006 6:08 PM PDT

Wow, yeah, like I said. Cingular just gives me a headache trying to sort that all out. Your right with the .25 cent thing.

From what you told me, if $25 card is all you need, then go for it. You may want to talk to Cingular if those minutes rolls over.....they should last I checked with them.

Good luck Big Steve.

Collapse -
Re: wow, getting a headache....=)
by Big Steve / July 22, 2006 4:30 AM PDT

What you need to do is get in your Ford Expedition and drive yourself down to Walgreens and buy yourself some of that stuff called "Head On" and when you get it open it up and roll it across your forehead; that might help but then again it might not.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
07/22/06

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOL....funny......=P
by jgvillan / July 22, 2006 6:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
LOL....funny......=P
by Big Steve / July 22, 2006 7:27 AM PDT

Well did the stuff work? How's your headache?

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
07/22/06

Collapse -
Oh yeah
by jgvillan / July 22, 2006 3:03 PM PDT
In reply to: LOL....funny......=P

As long as I dont have to deal with Cingular's pricing chart again... =P

All in all, good luck in what plan you pick with. =)

Collapse -
Big Steve, what you siad before
by PudgyOne / July 21, 2006 7:33 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Big Steve, what you siad before
by Big Steve / July 22, 2006 4:34 AM PDT

Rick:

That was a mighty good post wasn't it. Have a nice weekend ya hear.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
07/22/06

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.