Samsung forum

Question

Touchwiz Home isn't responding - Frozen Screen on Galaxy S4

by VelocityHigh / May 24, 2013 6:42 PM PDT

I got my Samsung Galaxy S4 2 to 3 weeks ago and it appears that theres a problem to my device. Recently there have been occasional hangs which causes me to be unable to use my device. Pressing the "Home" nor the "power" button or the screen did anything to get rid of the frozen screen. A notification then pop up saying "Touchwiz Home isn't responding" and gave me options to press "wait" or "ok" but still, im unable to press any of the options due to the frozen screen. My screen then turn off and I am unable to on it until a couple of minutes later. My mobile still functions normally, just that this frozen screen problem with Touchwiz have been occuring out of sudden occasionally when Im not even using the phone. (It happens out of nowhere)
Is there anything I could do to resolve this problem? Or is it a system problem which could be covered under warranty?
Much Help is appreciated. Thank you Happy

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Touchwiz Home isn't responding - Frozen Screen on Galaxy S4
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Touchwiz Home isn't responding - Frozen Screen on Galaxy S4
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
same problem
by axndrei / June 10, 2013 3:47 AM PDT

I have the same problem on samsung galaxy s4, please help

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
help?

Can anyone offer some help please?

Collapse -
It's a long weekend.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2013 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: help?

The Ambassador(s) may not be in till tomorrow. If you need immediate help, in the US you call 1800SAMSUNG. In other countries you hit the samsung web site in your country for that number.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I have got a solution for this from samsung officials
by talaa123 / January 9, 2015 3:56 AM PST

I got the same problem. I contacted samsung support via online chat. Everyone can do it just go to their site and in contact find live chat.
Here is the solution they recommended me:
1. Start your s4 in recovery mode. (turn off mobile -> start back on -> wait till samsung logo appear -> now press volume up/down key (mine worked with constantly tapping menu key) and keep pressing until phone show home screen with a "safe mode" written on the bottom)
2. Go to Setting -> Application Manager -> All Applications and open TouchWiz easy and TouchWiz home one by one
3. Clear the data and force stop the. Do this for both. (after doing this you will see 0.00kb under each app)
4. Press the power button and restart the device and test if the problem is gone.
They said if the problem comes up again then I may need to factory reset it. I can take backup of my phone using "samsung kies" so that I can restore it later on.
Please try this and post if it resolves the problem

Collapse -
S4 frozen
by WhaleMud / March 26, 2015 11:04 AM PDT

S4 locked up while loading app and I got to the "Task Manager" screen and it is completely unresponsive. "Home Button" or "Power Button" does nothing.

It has been frozen in "Task Manager" screen for at least an hour and it's still the same.

For the last 2 or 3 months I have been getting a random splash screen saying "Touchwiz has stopped" - "Ok". If I don't tap OK it is stuck but not frozen as it is now. The "Touchwiz has stopped" splash screen didn't appear prior to this incident of becoming completely frozen (unresponsive).

I guess I can take the back off and remove battery, but I hoped that there would be another way?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Press and hold the power button for a very long time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2015 11:05 AM PDT
In reply to: S4 frozen

In some models I rubber band it so I don't have to hang on to it.

Collapse -
Unfrozen
by WhaleMud / March 26, 2015 1:08 PM PDT

Thanks

I removed the back and took battery the out for about 3 seconds and replaced. Rebooted and everything is fine with no data loss or settings changed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.