Laptops forum

General discussion

Touchpad not working right

by Jade35 / March 27, 2008 7:14 AM PDT

Hi all. I have a HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop with Vista Premium running on it. The touchpad was working fine last night and this morning it wouldn't let me use it to select things. I can move the pointer around and scroll with it okay. To actually click on anything I have to push the left button instead of tapping the touchpad. I went to the mouse properties screen and the only thing I could find that maybe has something to do with it is clicklock. It is selected. This is my first laptop so any help would be great

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Touchpad not working right
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Touchpad not working right
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Use Vista's restore to yesterday.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2008 8:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
what caused it
by Jade35 / March 27, 2008 8:25 AM PDT

I will do a system restore but does anyone know what caused it and how to stop it from happening again? Thanks

Collapse -
That would be fun to find out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2008 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: what caused it

To figure that out, dump the registry to a text file. Restore to yesterday and dump it again. Now start comparing. Sounds like fun.

Collapse -
before you do a system restore...
by Ballistixx / July 4, 2008 3:57 PM PDT
In reply to: what caused it

click control panel/mouse/device settings. your touchpad should be listed there. click the settings button. tapping should be a setting. check off enable tapping. this is how it is on my laptop anywho.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Collapse -
touchpad
by gobears06 / July 2, 2008 12:08 PM PDT

Hi,my dad also had problems with his touchpad. Acually the same thing. Also hp but with xp. On the previous post I think you will have your answer. The touchpad on most hps have an on off button I assume built into the pad itself. I believe it was the post from jgvillian. If you touch the pad "north" which I think means the top of the pad. Not sure. I will ask my dad to try this. Hope this helps

Collapse -
touchpad update
by gobears06 / July 9, 2008 12:15 PM PDT
In reply to: touchpad

This is regarding my fathers hp pavilion dv6000. His tap feature all of a sudden stopped. I went through with him control panel>mouse>properties etc. There wasn't a tab for the tap feature like with mine. It's as if it didn't come with that option. His operating system is xp entertainment. This has happened to him several times. I realize that the keys are very sensitive so I was wondering is it possible he accidently hitting hot keys? If so which ones and how do we fix this? I have sent an email to HP. There response was to downloand a driver they sent with email. They have also brought it back to Circuit City where it was purchased one time before this has happened. They seemed to fix it in two seconds. So I know it is something simple. This driving me crazy also. Hope someone can help. Im trying to help him long distance, so this makes it more difficult. Thanks

Collapse -
Watching video clips
by anjones0916 / September 21, 2008 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: touchpad update

I just got my computer a couple days ago and have noticed the same problem. It only happens when I watch a video clip from the internet. Everytime I do, the touchpad will not click anymore until I put the computer to sleep and then when it comes back up its working again. It happens everytime but I can't figure out whats actually wrong or how to fix it.

Collapse -
touchpad tapping (selection or ok button) not working
by khansadath_qr / May 20, 2009 8:28 AM PDT

i got the same problem guys....im using COMPAQ presario..with vista home premium.
my touch pad is working partially ....i mean i can move the pointer around i can scroll....but i cant select by taping the touch pad (to select i have to press the separate button rightdown the touchpad)
if anybdy have the solution...pls help me solve the prob...
thanx

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.