Laptops forum

General discussion

Touchpad and Keyboard Not Working

by zwolf4444 / December 6, 2006 10:21 AM PST

I have a somewhat confusing problem. I have an Acer Aspire 3003Cli laptop with Windows XP Home. When I start up normaly, my touchpad and keyboard work erratically for about 3 seconds, then they stop working. Furthermore, when I try to shut down or restart, the system hangs. However, when I start up in safe mode, or boot from a Linux or BartPE disk, both work fine. External keyboards and mice also work fine in normal mode. I have tried:

Reinstalling the drivers
Virus Scans
Adware and Spyware Scans
Flashing the BIOS
Using the Recovery Disks
Reformatting and using the Recovery Disks
Reformatting and installing a fresh copy of Windows 2000 (just in case it was a problem with XP or the recovery disks).

I know it can't be a hardware issue, because then they wouldn't both work in safe mode. But for the life of me I can't figure out what the software issue might be, especially after re-installing windows several times. There are no IRQ conflicts with any other devices by the touchpad and keyboard. The best I can guess is that it might have something to do with the SIS PCI to ISA Bridge (both connect through it, and it's the only thing they share in common) but I can't figure out what that might be, since I've re-installed the OS several times, and it doesn't use any IRQs.

Any thoughts?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Touchpad and Keyboard Not Working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Touchpad and Keyboard Not Working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
no touchpad or keyboard only in safe mode
by gerbilster / December 25, 2006 1:26 AM PST

same exact problem. let me know how you resolve this and if i find anything out i'll get back to ya.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2006 1:42 AM PST

It was a hardware error. I've seen this one where the owner "proved" the hardware was not in error with Linux and other but the laptop maker couldn't get it to work with their supplied OS. They replaced the mainboard (under warranty) and it all worked fine. You can make a fine argument that it was not the hardware but having seen this happen more than once I believe that driver writers are not doing a good enough job.

Then again we have those issues with Windows in general...

Sorry, not a cure but don't paint yourself into a corner by declaring it can't be ....

Collapse -
by gerbilster / December 25, 2006 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: BTDT.

I could understand if it was hardware related, but then why does everything work fine in "safe mode" have no trouble with touchpad or keyboard, easy access buttons, power button. all of which do not work when running windows in normal mode. I did a complete format and recovery of win xp and everything worked while going through the setup process of choosing settings and so on, but as soon as it rebooted to the desktop for the last time to run windows everything stopped working. what do you think about a fan issue? maybe overheating ?
thanks for any help.

Collapse -
by zwolf4444 / December 25, 2006 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: question

I can't use the hardware repair option, because its out of warranty and Acer said they would charge $460 to fix it, no matter what's wrong with it, which is far more than the laptop is worth. Therefore, I can only use a software solution. And again, I agree with what you said above that it has to be software otherwise it wouldn't work perfectly in safe mode.

Collapse -
It's a long discussion
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2006 7:37 AM PST
In reply to: acer

I'm unsure if I want to write the many paragraphs needed to detail why and how safe mode differs and how a driver that would be used in a normal boot would fail.

My goal was simply to share my experience so you don't paint yourself into a corner.

-> Given that, boot safe mode and remove all the mouse and such drivers for the pad so you can force Windows to use the native drivers. I've had some success with that.

Best of luck,

Collapse -
by gerbilster / December 26, 2006 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: It's a long discussion

instead of using the recovery cd's to format and reinstall xp I used a full edition copy of xp without using any of my pc vendors drivers and everything seems to be working fine. so, i would have to say it is definately not a hardware issue, which i didnt believe it was to begin with as the hardware worked in safe mode. if it was a hardware failure, then the hardware would not work in any enviroment. hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

Collapse -
Good for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2006 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: update

Given very few machines are identical, even moreso when there are failures we have to give everything a cynical onceover. How do I account for my experience? We tried it all and the maker tried it too. At least they replaced the board and it was over with.

Collapse -
by zwolf4444 / December 26, 2006 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: Good for you.

I too, tried reinstalling windows fresh (even using windows 2000) and it didn't help.

Collapse -
by gerbilster / December 25, 2006 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: question

I didnt notice this before, but I have the same laptop as you, wonder if it's acer specific? I found a mother board on ebay for 175.00 but still not worth it.

Collapse -
by ikenfixit / December 28, 2006 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: computer

I believe these will be a big issue soon and they are popping up in here on occasion.. Controller chips seem to be the issue or the drag-down of the 3.3v supply for the chip. We need to see a few more in the shop but I believe they can be repaired.. Also the reason the machines work in safe and under Linux is because the Drivers for Windoze arent loading.. Linux kernels are a differnent ballgame apparently. Ive seen Drive's not showing in BIOS.. Keyboard fails, Mouse acting erratic so on and so forth. All we can do is try to come up with a solution..(Guess I need to dig some boards off the shelf)..

Collapse -
Driver Issue.
by tuxmaster / December 28, 2006 5:11 PM PST
In reply to: Acers..

sounds like a driver issue.

Collapse -
Found a temporary workaround
by djeady / January 1, 2007 11:02 AM PST

My daughter's Aspire started doing the same thing the other day. After much playing around, I found it would usually boot ok from the battery, but not with the power cord connect - definitely a main board stability issue.

Amazing that these have all started to fail at the same time - I think we should line up at Acer's door and demand replacements - this machine is exactly 2 weeks out of warranty.

Collapse -
Problem resolution
by djeady / January 3, 2007 1:27 AM PST

After 2 days of hammering Acer to extend support, I finally got one of their good support technicicans who knew what he was talking about. He had me do a power reset procedure (power down, remove battery, disconnect power, hold power button for 30 seconds) then restart the machine without the batter installed - just the line cord connected. Started up like a charm. Subsequently confirmed that the battery was toast. I was able to verify this by using another Acer battery and everything still works fine.

I'm going to order another battery. Interestingly, the battery that came in the machine was only a 2000MaH battery and the replacements are either 4000MaH or 4400 MaH. The battery also has a notation on it that would imply it was a used or refurbished battery. In any case this is a relatively cheap fix and it isn't worth fighting about any more.

Hope this assists others with similar problems.

Collapse -
AS3003LCI yet another touchpad keyboard failure!
by purazonajaguar / January 2, 2007 4:06 PM PST

Same problem. I am not a novice computer user - but this one is bugging the heck out of me. My AS3003LCI's problem is 90% similar to what is described here. (I also have noticed some odd behavior with the battery, charge not showing correctly etc, that seems to have started around the same time)
At first the key/touch freezing was intermittent - but now it pretty much happens every time. Often it freezes with the pointer centered in the sign in/welcome screen. Yes, sometimes I could get a USB mouse to work - but the keyboard would still have a huge delay. I usually end up having to shut down by removing then battery. Blah blah blah - same stuff I have heard here and some other places...
My temporary solution is to re-start with the Acer recovery cd. It then boots normally and everything is ok for a while, key/touch working fine. I don't want to do this forever, of course!
Please let me know if any better solutions arrive, or maybe my fix can work for you. Sorry for the wordiness, but I am not a regular contributor.
Thanks! NJ

Warranty Type: SMW-1 yr (MI or CI) End Date: 8/30/2006

Collapse -
Sudden Success
by zwolf4444 / January 2, 2007 4:18 PM PST

Very oddly, my acer suddenly started spontaneously working again after the fourth time I re-installed windows using the recovery CD. But yes, I had the same battery issues you mention above, i.e. the charge light would go on for a second and then turn off. We'll see if it keeps working or if this is just a fluke.

Collapse -
another idea that worked
by GnarlyTechDude / March 17, 2008 6:41 AM PDT

hey everyone I work as a tech and recently got a computer in with the same problem, stuped I too was in search for a remedy now I can share my findings with everyone with the problem, if your battery was doing weird stuf right befor this issue started happaning then try removing the battery and power cord and doing a power cycle (holding the power button for 30 sec) for some reason the battery was giving me a conflict, as soon as I did that it started working and I had done everything short of replacing the mother board! so try that befor you give up!

Collapse -
Touchpad and Keyboard Not Working
by dreammeister / January 6, 2007 10:00 PM PST

I have the exact same problem. I've tried reinstalling different flavours of Windows. Everything works in DOS until Windows kicks in, then the keyboard stops working and only an external mouse will work.

Any one have any other ideas?

Collapse -
Problem now fixed
by dreammeister / January 7, 2007 1:35 AM PST

I tried removing the battery as has been advised here and the laptop now works perfectly. I happened to have a spare battery as when I bought the laptop I complained to Acer that the battery life was sub 30 mins. Incidentally the new battery did not improve battery life, I'm now wondering if this is connected with this issue...maybe we have bought Aspires from a batch that had faulty power cicuitry.

Anyway inserting the old battery or running with no battery both work perfectly - so thanks to everyone...

Collapse -
Fixed.. but it should be better!
by purazonajaguar / January 9, 2007 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: Problem now fixed

These options for "fixing" the problem are certainly helpful for the time being... but we deserve a more permanent fix. Of course, one of the main reason we bought laptops is for the mobility. Requiring ac power, or an external mouse is just lame.... but yes, they work for me also. Sort of like "my car is moving again, all I have to do is push it from behind"!
Acer batteries are crap. I opened mine and it is just 4 weak li-ons. I am going to rebuild it with new, better, batteries tomorrow.... I'll you know if it works!

Collapse -
Battery is the problem
by newtech1 / December 27, 2008 7:32 AM PST

I have an Acer 5670 that is 2-1/2 years old.

I tried everything I could think of with no success. Searched and searched on the web with no luck. Prayed (beleive it or not) and did another search and found this site.

Guess what? Removed battery and symptoms went away.

I ordered a replacement battery two weeks ago under warranty because it will only last 8 minutes (2nd replacement battery). Still waiting for the battery to arrive.

So, BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE remove battery and see if symptom goes away.
Acers solution is always-delete everything and start fresh-yeah right, real good tech support.

Collapse -
by kingkryp / March 28, 2012 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Battery is the problem

i have a dell latitude d515 labtop n when i star it up the masspad n keyboard dont work any solutions

Collapse -
Re: keyboard and touchpad not working
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 28, 2012 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: help

Does the keyboard work to get you into the BIOS setup and does it work there?
Does the keyboard work if you boot from the Windows installation disk?
Does the keyboard (and possibly the touchpad work if you boot from a Linux Live disk?

If not, then it's a hardware issue. Having it repaired is the only solution then.

Collapse -
by moceansms / April 22, 2012 4:49 PM PDT

Some of the laptops doesn't install touch pad software or its not supportive in some OS, try to search on Acer website, the touch pad software and drive, hope then it will work.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.