Windows 7

Question

touch-pad of my laptop stop to work

by FarisUmayrSarkis / October 5, 2012 3:22 PM PDT

i have new laptop of dell company and using the window 7 its running well but afer the playing games on my laptop mouse is not working smoothly

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: touch-pad of my laptop stop to work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: touch-pad of my laptop stop to work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tried Updating The Touchpad Driver Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 6, 2012 1:10 AM PDT

Visit the computer manufacturer's website and see if there is an updated touchpad driver for your computer.. If there isn't one at Dell, try visiting the touchpad manufacturer's website and see if they have one...

Of course, since you didn't make clear what "working smoothly" means, maybe the problem is a jumpy cursor.. If that's the case, try opening the Control Panel, double click on the "Mouse" category icon, then click on the "Pointer Options" tab, then UNCHECK the box next to "Enhance pointer precision", then click on Apply, then OK..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
touch-pad of my laptop stop to work
by FarisUmayrSarkis / October 7, 2012 10:45 PM PDT

in fact the exact same issue had with my friend and now he have resolved it but solution that he have advocate me is new installing of window but i don't want to lost my file because my window is quite excellent condition

Collapse -
Answer
touch-pad of my laptop
by suman_suman / October 7, 2012 4:46 PM PDT

yes, as said by Grif Thomas, it's probably the driver which is the culprit. update the drivers from the Dell website and get going.

P.S. before you do so, run the hardware troubleshooter in your Windows 7 and try to figure out the culprit. Then take a possible action. To run the troubleshooter, click Start, type 'troubleshooter' in Start Search bar and check the results. Open troubleshooter and then find out what's causing the problem.

Collapse -
Answer
touch-pad of my laptop
by suman_suman / October 8, 2012 2:48 PM PDT

Hey thanks and please update me whether your problem has been fixed or not.

Collapse -
touch-pad of my laptop -
by FarisUmayrSarkis / October 8, 2012 3:48 PM PDT
In reply to: touch-pad of my laptop

no dear
need some useful information

Collapse -
about Touch-pad new solution
by suman_suman / October 8, 2012 4:14 PM PDT

1) In the system tray, click the pointing device/touchpad icon> click Pointing Device Properties.
2) Click the "Device Settings" tab.
3) Select your touchpad (it was the only option on my system.)
4) Click Settings.
5) Expand Pointing
6) Expand Sensitivity
7) Select PalmCheck
Cool Adjust the sensitivity slider until you can move the mouse while pressing one of the walk keys.
9) Click OK twice and that's it

Here is one more solution (it's more or less the same)

1) Clic Start menu> Control Panel
2) In the search bar for the control panel, type "mouse"
3) The first result will be the word "mouse" in green, with a bunch of other topics underneith. Click on the top word "mouse" in green.
4) Clicking this will bring you to a popup menu titled "Mouse Properties"
5) Click on the tab in the top row of tabs called "Device Settings"
6) The window it brings you to, will have a white box with your touchpad name in it. Underneath this window, there will be a button for setting. Click it.
7) This will pop up with another window, that has a list of different settings to click, such as "Overview", "Pointing" and "Buttons". Hit the + button right beside the word "Pointing".
Cool In the menu that opens, click the + button beside "Sensitivity"
9) From that menu, click "Palmcheck"
10) From this menu, in the "Palmcheck" window, drag the slider from the middle, all the way down to the minimum. Hit okay, and you're all set!

P.S. When you quit your game, put the slider back to minimum

Collapse -
Unfortunately, You've Yet to Tell Us...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 9, 2012 5:01 AM PDT

..whether you had tried the suggestions I gave earlier? If you give us useful responses, we can determine where you are at in the process.

Tried updating the touchpad driver?

Tried changing the "enhance pointer precision" setting?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.