Laptops forum

General discussion

Toshiba won't let me in

by bon44 / August 5, 2010 6:34 AM PDT

I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium.

It was working okay, but now when I start it up it comes up with the windows blue page. There is a little box, "Toshiba Leading Innovation" Then there is the place to type in my password. However, the cursor is stuck in the center of the screen and will not budge. I cannot do anything at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba won't let me in
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba won't let me in
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is that a BIOS password?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 7:28 AM PDT

For the BIOS password let Toshiba unlock it.

If it's a Windows Password I use NTPASSWD (see google on where and how to use.) It's free so don't let others tell you this one costs a dime.

Collapse -
It's a Windows password...
by bon44 / August 5, 2010 8:27 AM PDT

my personal password to continue into windows. I know my password but the cursor won't move so I can't get it to go to the box where I usually type in the password.

Did I lock my cursor somehow?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 11:01 AM PDT

To reset the password. Also if you want to try one more thing, boot in safe mode and try to log in.

Collapse -
Bios password or Windows password
by andylausmith / August 5, 2010 4:49 PM PDT

I am not sure it is a bios password or windows password.

For bios password, you can try below 2 methods.
1. The best and easiest method: Cloce OS and shut down the electricity power of computer. Open your computer box, take out the cmos battery from the mainboard. Then the bios password will be reset to blank. Put it back after a few minutes.
2. Follow some hard tutorials. For example this tutorial: Bypass BIOS Password or Crack CMOS Password?

For windows password, you can try below 3 methods as you are using Windows 7 OS.
Method one: Logging in Windows 7 with an available admin account to recover Win 7 password

Methods two: Creating a password recovery disk to recover the Win 7 password, by this methods, you need create a Windows password reset disk before you have lost or forgotten your Windows admin password.

Method three: Using Windows Password Recovery software to recover Windows 7 password

As an easy method to recover the forgot Win 7 password, there are only four steps as follow:
Step1: Download Windows Password Recovery Tool 3.0 and install it.
Step2: Burn the ISO image file onto a blank CD/DVD.
Step3: Boot up your Windows 7 PC by the bootable burned CD/DVD in minutes.
Step4: Remove the forgot Windows 7 password on the operation interface and logon PC without password.

Related guide:

Collapse -
Thanks for the BIOS ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 9:41 PM PDT

But for the password crack, why not reset the password with an established tool?

Read and you find the SOURCE CODE to ntpasswd.

Is the tool you noted providing SOURCE CODE so we know what it is really doing?

Collapse -
I don't think you are hitting on my problem..
by bon44 / August 5, 2010 11:13 PM PDT

you see, the computer will start. I even got it to go to the black page where it says, safe mode, normal mode, etc. Normal mode was already highlighted. I tried to change it to safe mode but the arrow keys would not move it to that selection, so have to go along with the "normal mode."

So, then Windows 7 starts. It comes up to the page that has the password on it to log in. Okay, I know the password. But, I can't type it in there because again the touchpad will not allow me to move the cursor to the area where you are to type in the password.

It seems the problem is that the touchpad (cursor) is stuck. How do I get it unstuck?

Collapse -
Frozen cursor
by pgc3 / August 5, 2010 11:22 PM PDT

Have you tried using a mouse?

Collapse -
We don't need a touch pad to move the boxes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 11:23 PM PDT

We can tap tab to move around the screen.

Collapse -
Which password are you talking abou?
by nemopdf / August 8, 2010 6:53 PM PDT

if BIOS,
What we need to do is to power off computer, open the computer box, and then unplug the power plug of the computer to make sure that it is no electricity at all. Then locate the white silver button battery on the motherboard. Remove the battery carefully. Perhaps 30 seconds later, put back the battery.

If Windows password,

Try to remove Windows password(the fastest way):
freeware:Offline NT Password & Registry Editor
commercial option: Windows Password Reset Standard

Collapse -
The problem is solved...
by bon44 / August 8, 2010 11:37 PM PDT

I called the company and they had me do this:

Turn off the computer
Unplug the power
Remove the battery
Hold down the start button 10 seconds
Put the battery back in
Plug in the computer

And it worked!!! It just had to be reset I guess.

I hadn't LOST the password at all, it was just that the computer would not let me type it in.

Thanks to all of you for your help and ideas.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.