Laptops forum

Question

Toshiba Satellite P850-BT3N22 Laptop

by efi_stat / November 25, 2012 4:24 AM PST

Hi all!

I am new here and I am desperately trying to chose a laptop that will last for at least 4 years. I am a statistician and I mainly use my laptop for my job (using statistical programs like R and SAS as well as C++). I also watch movies.

The laptop I am thinking of buying is Toshiba Satellite P850-BT3N22 (http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cdetland.to?poid=2000044247).

First of all, what do u think about the value for money as well as the features that are important to chose via customizing?

Another very inportant issue for me is that I want to buy the laptop from the US but I live in the UK and Greece. So, I am wondering if anyone knows what happens with 'SquareTrade warranty' and if it applies internationally cause 'Toshiba's Limited
Warranty covers the Product for warranty service only within the country where the Product was
originally purchased.' What other choises do I have? Maybe buy the laptop from the US and buy warranty from the UK? Could I do that?

Thank you!!!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba Satellite P850-BT3N22 Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba Satellite P850-BT3N22 Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Or dell inspiron 15z?
by efi_stat / November 25, 2012 4:50 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Think of this statistic.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2012 4:54 AM PST

Look at the battery cycle rating on those I see 300 cycles. This works out to about 18 months of battery life. Since a basic part has such a short life span, these fail your 4 year spec.

About the warranty. Call them and ask. GET IT IN WRITING! Do not rely on anyone's word because they may be a seller and will tell you anything to get the sale.

Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Toshiba experience awful
by Karl Gartland / November 27, 2012 7:38 AM PST

My daughter bought a Toshiba Portege on 8/6. On 10/31 the LCS failed.
Toshiba referred my daughter to a repair shop that had been closed for 3 weeks.
Then they sent her a box and she mailed it to them.
They told her she had damaged the laptop and would cost $459 to repair this computer that cost $1000 and was practically new.
After many discussions, on 11/19 they told me they would fix it. But since it was already scheduled to be mailed back, they would have to mail it back and that my daughter would have to mail it back to them.
I was elated they were going to fix it, told everyone I knew, Toshiba agreed to fix it. Most folks of course, why wouldn't they. Then when she got it, no instructions, no promised email. I called to figure out what we should do next. They said they wouldn't fix it.

You can do whatever you like, but my experience is extremely poor. Furthermore when I asked to speak to another person at a higher level, the man refused.
FYI, I also had (still have it but it doesn't work) a Toshiba Regza computer. Vertical lines appeared on the LCD after just 2 years. A coworker had the same experience and Toshiba hasn't done anything to help with that either. I thought Japanese companies had great service. NOT my experience.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.