Linux

General discussion

Toshiba Satellite laptop and Dial-up

by cremeanglais / September 12, 2008 7:18 PM PDT

Hi,

As a silver surfer I have dcided to move from XP to Linux. The problem I have is that I am currently living in rural France which means no access to Broadband. I understand that as I have a software modem it will not work in Linux. Therefore can anyone please advise me as to which modem I should go for and where is the best place to get one? I am currently using a Toshiba Satellite P30-133 running XP SP3.

Any help gratefully received.

CremeAnglais

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba Satellite laptop and Dial-up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba Satellite laptop and Dial-up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: dial up
by Kees Bakker / September 12, 2008 7:41 PM PDT

If a software modem doesn't work (some will do, I read, because they have Linux software also), you need a hardware modem.
First thing to decide on: the interface: the old-fashioned 25-pin serial, 9-pin serial or USB. Depends on what's available, of course. But serial is old and proven, so I would use that if possible.

From that point on, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Some links (found with google DIAL UP MODEM LINUX):
http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/l17/lesson17d.html
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Modem-Dialup-NT-HOWTO.html
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=466862

Still, I doubt of your choice for Linux is a wise one. Is it supported by Toshiba? Do you have drivers for all Toshiba laptop specific hardware? Do you have the right kind of knowledge or expertise to install and run Linux on your own?
To be on the safe side: investigate dual-boot (so you can keep using XP as long as you're busy installing and learning Linux) or buy a second-hand computer to install Linux on and play with it until you feel confortable enough to have it as your only option.

The best place to buy a modem: a nearby computer shop.

Best of luck.

Kees

Collapse -
And the non-driver solution.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2008 10:43 PM PDT
Collapse -
CNET Forums tracked thread notif
by cremeanglais / September 18, 2008 1:22 AM PDT

Hi,

Many thanks for the info. Although I used to be an electronics engineer, I have no experience of software. My Toshoba laptop is currently running dual boot with Ubuntu. Everything seems to work ok except the ability to get on-line - hence the request for help. I also have a desk top Pentium 3 computer which I built myself. I am hoping to convert that to Linux as well. As it has an Olitec Modem PCI 56K/V92 I am hoping that connecting to the internet will be easier. Although the WiFlyer sounds interesting, I am concerned about its ability to be 100% reliable, especially living where we do here in the French countryside.

Best regards,

Cremeanglais

Collapse -
"100% reliable"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2008 1:34 AM PDT

Sorry, dialup has never been that good. I only offered this as a solution to trying to get your modem working in said OS which can be nearly impossible. I know better than to spend more then 10 minutes on any modem before I replace it with a working, supported model.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Your reply
by cremeanglais / September 18, 2008 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: "100% reliable"

Hi,

Unfortunately where we live in France there is no likelyhood of any form of broadband for at least another year. So we are stuck with dial-up for the foreseeable future. Also there are very few local computer shops, and although my French is sufficient to live here it falls down where computer technicnology is concerned. Therefore can you please advsie as to which modem would suit my situation and where is the best place to order it from?

Regards,

Cremeanglais

Collapse -
"100% reliable"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2008 11:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Your reply

Sorry, with your words as a guide to wanting "100% reliable" I know nothing that comes close. If this was my setup my solution above would be what I would be using. It is possible you didn't understand what it did and thought it was some broadband or other solution.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.