Laptops forum

General discussion

Toshiba Satellite L505D BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! HELP?

by chipmaker / May 7, 2010 3:40 AM PDT

This laptop is less than 30 days old so I think I can take it back for an exchange if I have too. Today I have about 5 more days to do that. It had crashed a few times before now. In those crashes it just froze up and was not a big deal... Now it is showing the blue screen of death and is running hot too.

I also got the blue screen of death while running in safe mode after a few hours. When I'm in normal Win 7 boot it seems to crash faster when I'm connected to the internet but I can't say I'm positive about that yet. I can test for that later.

The blue screen that comes up does not last long enough to read it or tell exactly why windows is crashing. I think it says memory dump at the bottom and runs a counter to 100 then shuts down.

Does anyone know what this blue screen may be saying and are there any screen shots of it that I could read or see? Could I have some bad RAM?

I have kept Win 7 updated with the latest service pack and drivers. (A bad driver could be the cause but I just don't know)

Does Win 7 make a log or file of the crash and if so where do I look to find it and read it so I can get more information on it?

I may have to restore the OS (it's stored on the hard drive somewhere so I will have to make a restore disk first) but what if it goes crash monster again after the 30 days then I'm screwed. I think restoring the OS then running the PC till it crashes may be the best thing to do. And If it crashes after that I'll take it back to the store and let there Tech's play with it. What do I look for ( What is this OS restore disk called ) when making this disk.

I have not contacted Toshiba yet and that is something I also need to do to make a record of the problem and I will do that soon but I what Knowledge first so I don't get the run around from them, the store or the store Tech's if it comes down to that.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Rick.

TOSHIBA Satellite L505D PSLV6U-028007

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600)

2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M300
No memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Board: TOSHIBA Portable PC Base Board Version
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Insyde Corp. 1.10 12/17/2009

1790 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

AMD M860G with ATI Mobility Radeon 4100 [Display adapter]

Realtek High Definition Audio

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba Satellite L505D BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! HELP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba Satellite L505D BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! HELP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
recovery how to
by jimmorroh / May 7, 2010 6:41 AM PDT

Just shut down windows completely (not using "stand by" or "hibernate"), then hold down the '0' (zero) key while you turn the computer on. Keep holding it down until you see a message indicating that the recovery process is starting.

In case it's not already obvious to you, this will result in wiping out any personal data you have on that PC.

Collapse -
recovery how to
by chipmaker / May 8, 2010 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: recovery how to

Thank, I'm going to try that in just a few minutes and see what happens.

Rick.

Collapse -
Laptop is running ok right now on 2nd reinstall
by chipmaker / May 10, 2010 8:39 AM PDT
In reply to: recovery how to

I did the 0(ZERO) Key reinstall and started slowly reloading programs I like to use and Win 7 started crashing again.
-
I am still running on the 2nd reinstall with only Windows updates and one other install running, "WinPatrol".
-
I think the Program that may have caused all of the crashes was ZoneAlarm but I can't be 100% sure, Just 99.6% sure.
-
I'll update later as I load more software and test it.

Rick.

Collapse -
WinPatrol.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2010 9:37 AM PDT

Sorry but that's something I think could be a problem item. Pick simpler antivirus and see if it goes stable.

Collapse -
still running ok without Zone Alarm
by chipmaker / May 11, 2010 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: WinPatrol.

Thanks Robert for your reply. I?ll keep posting on this thread with updates as I continue to find out what will work with this new laptop that is running Windows 7 Home Premium.

To clarify parts of my earlier posts I will try to clear up some of the info I left out and point out what I missed as I tried to figure out why this laptop was crashing. Hind sight is always 20/20 but when you are frustrated and thinking that you just bought a piece of junk and will have to eat the cost of it, you can miss things.

In my first post I said.. (I also got the blue screen of death while running in safe mode after a few hours. When I'm in normal Win 7 boot up it seems to crash faster when I'm connected to the internet.) I was using free Zone Alarm as my firewall.

I did not (snap) to the fact that Zone Alarm was always open on start up and this makes sense that when I connected to the internet, Windows 7 would crash soon after. It would run longer without connecting to the internet but eventually freeze up or give the BSOD. My internet connection is not setup to automatically open on boot up. I have to connect manually. Also when I booted into safe mode I did it with networking turned on and that?s how I could log on to the internet.

I also said that in safe mode the PC ran for hours without crashing. Using safe mode I logged onto the internet to see if other people with my same laptop were crashing too. I was thinking that I had a bad laptop. I was also shutting down from time to time to make sure it was not over heating as I looked for answers. I would shut it down and put it in front of a fan to cool it off before booting up again. Then I got fancy I guess and started running Zone Alarm in safe mode. That worked good for about 20 minutes or so and then my laptop would crash again. Even then I did not put 2 and 2 together to = Zone Alarm as the cause. I did this over and over again till I learned about the 0 (ZERO) key trick. The system was new so I did not have a lot of stuff on it to back up, so I did a clean ?OUT OF THE BOX? install with the 0 key.

My next step was to slowly add stuff. I did all of the windows updates first and ran the new install for a bit to see what happened. Each time I added a program I would test it out then add something new. Soon enough it started crashing again. Once it started going crash monster this time I just did a few runs in safe mode and normal windows boot.

My next move was to do another clean install. This time I did not add Zone Alarm as my firewall and life has been good ever sense.

Rick.

Collapse -
A new update.
by chipmaker / May 13, 2010 6:37 PM PDT

Just a short update on my L505 Toshiba with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. I just updated Win 7 minutes ago ( not sure if this Win 7 update will mess things up' but it is windows so you never know).

The only download I have installed other than win 7 updates is WinPatrol.

I've been running with WinPatrol installed for a few days now without any crashes. The laptop is not running hot like it was before.

I don't let windows Auto update. I run the updates manually 2 or more times a day.

I still think that Zone Alarm was a major part of my crashes. Another program that could have added insult to injury was AVG. I'm not sure but AVG and Zone Alarm may not be ready for win 7 64bit OS just yet.

If anyone is running ZA and AVG on a Win 7 64bit PC without problems then I say COOOOLLLLL.. You go girl.

Thats my update for now.

Rick

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.