Laptops forum

Question

Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5882 will not boot

by E5andrewB / January 7, 2012 1:18 PM PST

Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5882
model number PSLC8U-011012
windows 7
Situation : when I power up I can hear the fan spin, and the HDD spin but BIOS doesn't start loading on the screen. I get the power LED but not the HDD activity LED.
I work with electronics in the military so I tried several things already. first I tried hooking up another monitor just in case this didn't help. then I falt tested the memory, and put the HDD in a usb adapter to confirm it is working. I tested my power adapter with a multimeter and confirmed I am getting the correct voltage to the system. I also took it all apart to make sure that every conection is still good.
I am at a loss here as to what to do next I am suspecting the Mainboard but a replacement is $150 to $250. I would like to be sure that this is the problem before spending the money on this. I have not ruled out the CPU or BIOS chip.
What else can I do to troubleshoot this system.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5882 will not boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5882 will not boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try a generic reset.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2012 1:25 PM PST

But first.

1. Unplug all USB and other devices and re-try.

2. If that didn't help, try the generic reset (very safe.)
In short, power off, remove AC, remove battery, press hold the power button for 60 seconds, release, apply battery, AC and test.

Good luck.

3. If you look in the CNET Laptop Troubleshooting forum we have a sticky with many Toshiba details.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks but no thanks
by E5andrewB / January 7, 2012 1:38 PM PST
In reply to: Try a generic reset.

Thanks for the reply but I did all of this.

Collapse -
Then one last idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2012 2:21 PM PST
In reply to: thanks but no thanks

Find the CMOS battery and check it with your Volt meter. Replace if low or dead.

Collapse -
??
by E5andrewB / January 8, 2012 10:27 AM PST
In reply to: Then one last idea.

I would think that this would only effect the time date. but I did check the battery and it was dead. Now I have one on order from ebay but have to wait till it gets here from china. It was a ML1220 that has to be sodderd onto the board. thanks for the info and crossing my fingers that it works.

Collapse -
The other parts it could be are
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2012 2:13 PM PST
In reply to: ??

Much more. Having had machines that don't do anything with that part low or dead, I always check. Even if it's a long shot, the payoff is worth a measure with the Volt meter.

Collapse -
oshiba Satellite C655-25082 Boot-up problem
by sorawin / June 16, 2012 6:26 AM PDT

MY LAPTOP is doing the same thing. I debating to fix it by getting a new HD or send it in to toshiba but THE warranty is up and I don't want to fork over 3k WHAT I DO?

Collapse -
Did you try the above?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2012 6:28 AM PDT

I didn't read where you measured that battery or much else.

Not everyone is ready to be a laptop repair person. For example, most don't own a Volt meter or any tools.
Bob

Collapse -
hp pavillion dv6 not powering on
by dwoods44 / September 3, 2012 1:44 AM PDT

I really appreciate your post. My HP laptop was out of warranty. Before having someone diagnose what the issue was I tried the generic reset and IT WORKED. I would appreciate further information on what the generic reset is, and how it works without power.

thanks again,
Woody

Collapse -
Oh but there is power.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2012 1:50 AM PDT

Most PCs have a small battery connected to the motherboard to keep a few circuits alive with date, time and maybe some BIOS settings.

The reset I noted was put in just in case these chips get a little confused and don't start up the PC. Also, the actual button hold time is usually 10 to 30 seconds but I found folk that would not get it done so years ago I changed it to 60 seconds to ensure that folk held it long enough. The advice worked better so I've stuck with 60 seconds even if the actual number can be less.

I'm going to keep this simple and stop here.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Toshiba Satellite Series...
by swtambrosia / January 17, 2012 1:51 AM PST

If this happened after a bios update from toshiba, thats what caused it. happened to me few days ago. after looking at different forums this is not a new occurence. posts from 6 months ago that a bios update from toshiba has done this to many many people...but this recommended update is still on toshibas website for download. so far the only feedback ive seen is that after spending some quality time on the phone with tech support, toshiba will very glady fix it if its still under warranty and you pay the shipping cost of around $25.00. i have a authorized toshiba repair center near me that does repairs covered under warranty so i called them with hopes that i wouldnt be without my laptop for 1-2 weeks if i sent it to toshiba. i found out that even though they do warranty work, per toshiba they cannot do warranty work any toshiba satellite series. those have to be shipped to toshiba repair center because its cheaper than toshiba having to maybe ship a part to one of their own authorized repair centers...to fix what toshiba screwed up in the first place.

makes me wonder just how many laptops has toshiba screwed up with this recommended update that is still on website available for download???

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.