Laptops forum

General discussion

Toshiba Satellite A60 FN hotkeys not working.

by Ketan30 / October 9, 2006 1:21 AM PDT

I have a toshiba satellite A60, and recently my FN hotkeys stopped working. Only FN + F5 works, but the rest all don't. Can anyone please advise me on what to do to get them working?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba Satellite A60 FN hotkeys not working.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba Satellite A60 FN hotkeys not working.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look for the Toshiba Hotkey utility.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2006 1:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT)
by Ketan30 / October 9, 2006 2:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
Toshiba Satellite A60 FN hotkeys not working.
by Ketan30 / October 9, 2006 2:32 AM PDT

I have already downloaded the utility driver from Toshiba's website, but it still doesnt work, again only FN + F5 works after restarting my computer.
Any other way to sort this out??

Collapse -
Now look at how you edit those keys.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2006 3:05 AM PDT

Imagine if the entries were empty.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Now look at how you edit those keys.
by Ketan30 / October 9, 2006 6:30 AM PDT

Dear Bob,
Sorry but I do not understand what you mean by "imagine if the entries were empty".
Can you please explain this.
thanks
Ketan

Collapse -
Most keyboard enhancers have a menu to edit...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2006 7:41 AM PDT

What the keys do. If the entries were blank, then the keys do nothing. Reinstalling the keyboard enhancer does not return the functions to the keys.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Most keyboard enhancers have a menu to edit...
by Ketan30 / October 10, 2006 12:42 AM PDT

Hi Bob,
Is there a place where i can check my keyboard entries? I dont think they are blank, because my Fn + F5 still works.
Do I have to download some sort of driver or any other thing to get these working?
Toshiba's website has no help on this topic!
Thanks
Ketan

Collapse -
How about all blank except Fn + F5 ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2006 12:56 AM PDT

If you find the enhancer is working then it's back to your laptop manual to read how to assign the keys.

!!! Very important !!! Be sure that no pest or keyboard logger has crawled onto the machine. Scan with Ewido, Housecall and Rootkit Revealer (google.com please.)

Any history leading up to this error would be nice to know.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: How about all blank except Fn + F5 ?
by Ketan30 / October 10, 2006 4:36 AM PDT

Hi Bob,
I have never ever heard of the programs you named! (Ewido, Housecall and Rootkit Revealer)
What do these programs do?? I would like to know this before I download and run them on my laptop!!
Thanks
Ketan

ps: If the programs are anti-spyware, then I've already got protection against it. I have no spyware on my laptop.

Collapse -
Over in the Security Forum...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2006 4:45 AM PDT

We reccomend them all the time. Your choice here.

But it would be a shame to find a rootkit or key logger since such are not detected by the usual Antivirus packages.

"I have no spyware on my laptop."

I've read that before. Then the owner runs Ewido and recants.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: over in the security forum
by Ketan30 / October 11, 2006 2:13 AM PDT

thanks for the reply Bob
im gonna run those scans, and update u on the results soon!
thanks again!

Collapse -
Scan results
by Ketan30 / October 12, 2006 6:20 AM PDT

HI Bob,
I ran ewido (AVG anti-spyware?) and got some 'tracking cookies' which I've now deleted and they're not there anymore.
I also ran rootkit revealer and got some results which I completely have no idea of what they mean!!! I've saved a report of them, so if you want to see it then please do tell me.
What next??
Thanks
Ketan

Collapse -
Please share.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2006 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Scan results

I remember the revealer report to not be too big so feel free to share.

Bob

Collapse -
rootkit revealer scan report
by Ketan30 / October 13, 2006 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Please share.

Hi Bob,
Following is the report to the rootkit revealer scan that I ran:

HKLM\S-1-5-21-2930899393-1130465543-2406439465-1009\RemoteAccess\InternetProfile 10/8/2006 1:55 PM 9 bytes Data mismatch between Windows API and raw hive data.
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SAVRT\0939NAV~.TMP 10/12/2006 4:05 PM 0 bytes Hidden from Windows API.
C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\00010002.ci 10/12/2006 4:16 PM 19.83 MB Hidden from Windows API.
C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\00010002.dir 10/12/2006 4:16 PM 109.82 KB Hidden from Windows API.
C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\00010003.ci 10/12/2006 3:57 PM 19.83 MB Visible in Windows API, but not in MFT or directory index.
C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\00010003.dir 10/12/2006 3:57 PM 109.81 KB Visible in Windows API, but not in MFT or directory index.
C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiFLfffc.000 10/12/2006 3:57 PM 240 bytes Visible in Windows API, but not in MFT or directory index.
C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiFLfffc.001 10/12/2006 3:57 PM 576.00 KB Visible in Windows API, but not in MFT or directory index.
C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiFLfffc.002 10/12/2006 3:57 PM 576.00 KB Visible in Windows API, but not in MFT or directory index.
C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiFLfffd.000 10/12/2006 4:16 PM 240 bytes Hidden from Windows API.
C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiFLfffd.001 10/12/2006 4:16 PM 576.00 KB Hidden from Windows API.
C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiFLfffd.002 10/12/2006 4:16 PM 576.00 KB Hidden from Windows API.

Can anything be concluded from this??

Thanks
Ketan

Collapse -
Looks fine. Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2006 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Please share.
Collapse -
Let's check the manual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2006 2:57 AM PDT
http://209.167.114.38/support/Download/files_Downloads/PSA60C/SA60EXUM.PDF

"Fn-esse: A TOSHIBA utility that lets
you assign functions to hotkeys"

"Fn-esse This Windows program lets you define your own
?shortcut? keys to quickly launch applications and speed
your work in Windows. To start the utility, click the
Windows Start button, point to All Programs, point to
TOSHIBA, point toUtilities and click Fn-esse."

Have you checked this yet?

Bob
Collapse -
Fn-esse
by Ketan30 / October 13, 2006 7:40 AM PDT

Thanks for your reply Bob,
I have checked Fn-esse. It is for assigning 'application' to be ran from the alphabet keys, not the F1 F2 etc keys. Also I cannot for example change the brightness, or put the computer on standby from it.
I would like to know what else you can come up with the scan results.(Its good to know that those results were OK from you!!)
Thanks
Ketan

Collapse -
New idea. and ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2006 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Fn-esse

First, those items that were in the System Volume folder can be cleared up but they are no threat. If you want to get rid of them I could share but let's not do that? OK?

I wonder if you BIOS has a setting called USB KEYBOARD (name varies) support? If so I think I killed such keys by enabling this.

Also, I may need to see a report from EVEREST to spot any Logitech or other keyboard drivers.

Here's a note about UPPERFILTERS and LOWERFILTERS on the keyboard drivers. http://support.gateway.com/s/issues/662931010.shtml Adobe Type Manager also does this! Hopefully this may ring a bell.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: New idea. and ...
by Ketan30 / October 13, 2006 10:37 PM PDT
In reply to: New idea. and ...

Hello Bob,
Lets not get rid of the things in the System Volume Folder if you think they are no threat. Thats fine.

How do check if my BIOS has a USB keyboard or any different names setting??

Also, I do not know what EVEREST is!! You can spot the drivers yourself please!

I checked the link you gave, but no such program gives me an error message. Nothing comes up when I press Fn + F3 or any other button (except Fn + F5: where the monitor turns off; which is what is supposed to happen). (The websites link also says that computers can't standy, but mine can from start>turn off computer>standby. However, it can't from Fn + F3)

If you want me to run any other programs scan etc then please do tell me to do so.

Thank you
Ketan

Collapse -
EVEREST is found with google.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2006 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: New idea. and ...

It's a program like BELARC ADVISOR that creates reports that let us look under the hood.

The BIOS settings were noted in the manual. My dad has the Toshiba but is 1,500 miles away so I don't have ready access to his manual. He does however talk to me about things about his machine.

I had hoped to note the USB keyboard and then you go look. This is not tech support which I would do the extra work but a dialogue where I offer ideas (not even complete ones) and try to be as safe as possible (the do no harm creed.)

I may get the Fn+F5 or such wrong since there is no standards here. You'll have to roll with the smaller inaccuracies or consider just calling Toshiba.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: EVEREST is found with google.com
by Ketan30 / October 14, 2006 12:32 AM PDT

Hi Bob,
I will run Everest on my laptop and let you know the results asap.

Thanks
Ketan

Collapse -
It works!!!!!
by Ketan30 / October 14, 2006 5:35 AM PDT

HI BOB!!
You won't believe me but the hotkeys finally work!!!
I was jus browsing through all Toshiba's files on my computer, and found one realted to the hotkeys. I opened it, but nothing happened, but then I tried by pressing Fn + F6 and it worked! All the hotkeys are working now!!

I would really like to thank you for ALL your help and support!! THANK YOU!! Happy

Ketan

Collapse -
Keys on laptop not working
by davejns / December 3, 2007 5:20 AM PST

Hi bob
I was hopeing that you can help me as the above do not work on my Toshiba a60 notebook when i go into Toshiba HW Setup i keep getting
" Common Module Terminated" what is causing both of these hope you can me with this i am running xp I can use mouse pad until i hit the key pad then notting at all.thanks dave

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2007 6:23 AM PST

This discussion is about hotkeys. You may want to make a new post since burying it in an old discussion won't make it stand out.

Collapse -
Slow computer :( (kind of!)
by Ketan30 / October 14, 2006 5:41 AM PDT

Hi Bob,
This message has got nothing to do with the Hotkey's. Actually, I was just wondering if you have any advice for me to make my laptop a bit more faster! I don't know what to do; I have deleted and uninstalled all the unecessary programs and files, but there is still no change in the speed of this laptop. Sad
Is there any advice you could please give me to speed it up??

Thank you,
Ketan

Collapse -
1. Run disk cleanup and...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2006 6:58 AM PDT

Don't compress old files. Just clean up.

2. You've done the usual pest scans so we'll skip that but still scan weekly when you can with Ewido.

3. I dumped McAfee and Norton for a bit faster combo of Free AVG and Zone Alarm. My wallet thanked me too.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry, item 4.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2006 6:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Sorry, item 4
by Ketan30 / October 14, 2006 8:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry, item 4.

Hello Bob,

First of all, I do not have any idea of what IDE channels mean! I looked at the link you gave, and followed the instructions in it. But it does not say which IDE channel to make the changes in: Primary IDE channel, or Secondary IDE channel.
As you are an EXPERT in computers, it would be nice to know from you what do these DMA and PIO mean + what they would do to make my computer faster!

Thank you,
Ketan

Collapse -
I flip them all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2006 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Sorry, item 4

"As you are an EXPERT in computers, it would be nice to know from you what do these DMA and PIO mean + what they would do to make my computer faster!"

In short, DMA is faster than PIO. I'm going to stop there since not only have I written about this dozens of times (not slighting you) I've decided to just offer the item and if people take it or not is up to them now. Since we have google and more I'm going to save my time for short answers and leave people to do some of their own digging.

In one line however, many get hung up on doing this flip because they look at the setting and see it indicates DMA. The bug is XP isn't quite right on this one. Flipping it makes sure the transfer rate is at its best.

It's a freebie, easy to do and documented how.

Your choice,

Bob

Collapse -
Re: I flip them all.
by Ketan30 / October 14, 2006 10:45 PM PDT
In reply to: I flip them all.

Hello Bob,
I did some research on DMA and PIO. All I want to know is that which one should I change: Primary or Secondary IDE controller? (or even both?).

Thank you,
Ketan

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.