Laptops forum

General discussion

Toshiba Satellite A135 Vista Recovery

by matthollycart / October 25, 2009 5:59 AM PDT

Hello there.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A135 that runs Vista. I have had a bunch of problems with it freezing and with windows explorer not responding, etc. since I have had it. I redid the whole thing 2 times since I've had it (about 2 years) because of all the problems. The problems always seem to return.

This time when we did the recovery process, on disk two (2) it always says (after inserting disk 2) to enter the next disk. Well, there are only two disks, and while disk two is in there, it does nothing... after a few seconds it spits it back out and asks for the next disk.

I have tried this a few dozen times with the same result. So now my entire computer has everything erased and I can do nothing.

I downloaded Ubuntu onto a CD and put the CD in. Every time I ran that, I would choose the option to install it, but each time it would freeze the computer and it would just sit there and do nothing. I put the same Ubuntu into my desktop computer and it works fine.

I made a copy of disk 2 (of my recovery) and tried to use it instead of the original. This time, instead of spitting it out, it seems like it is working (goes through a process) but then at the time of the process it stops and says

"Error: 10-FC06-0002

Recovery Error"

The final thing I have done was try to install Ubuntu in safe mode and it was finally working (it seemed) but then it came up with the blank black screen with all the commands. It seemed to be saying that something was blocking it from working. I restarted the computer and instead of the "Toshiba" message in the beginning, it had Ubuntu... then it was interupted and started over to say "Toshiba" once again... and it didn't work. I have had a terrible last 24 hours.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba Satellite A135 Vista Recovery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba Satellite A135 Vista Recovery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not a happy error.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2009 7:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
buy xp?
by matthollycart / October 25, 2009 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a happy error.

What would happen if I bought a Windows XP system and tried to install it? Would it even work in this situation (if the hard drive is not bad)?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2009 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: buy xp?

Installing XP is an often discussed subject. If you want to do that, please use the posts about that. The fact that Ubuntu locked up points to some hardware issue. To avoid this I offered a last chance idea before asking you try the other suspect items. There are hard disk test programs on CD so try that to look over the hard disk.

The lesson I learned is when Linux doesn't work then you look at the hardware.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you
by matthollycart / October 25, 2009 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Thanks for helping with this. When I download a new recovery, it worked better but there was an error. So we tried a final resort, and copied disc 1 of my original recovery disc (I had already copied the 2nd one, thinking that was the problem). So when I tried both copies of the recovery cd's, everything worked and it restored my system. Weird.

Collapse -
Cool.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2009 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

This tip has paid off more often than people expected. Glad you tried it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.